Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Preggo
Registered Users

My Mood:
how many prefolds/covers do I need in NB size?

I'm wondering if I stick to the prefolds/covers if I can get away with 2 PUL covers and 24 prefolds? Does this seem like a small amount for a newborn? I think I could maybe budget for 1 more cover (since I accidentally bought one today for 2x the price I was going to pay hehe) but I really don't want to invest alot since we will be switching to softbums once baby is a more reasonable size.
I will most likely be cding full time, with the exception maybe at night or out and about.

I fully intend to CD full time with the softbums however can't wait.

Also - is there any way I can possibly make prefolds and covers as trim as possible (I am worried about how much bulk because I have already spent a ton of money on nb size clothes...silly me)

Advertisement

Preggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
BC Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: how many prefolds/covers do I need in NB size?

It depends on how often you want to wash. Newborns will go through about 12 diapers a day. You will need more covers for sure. I'd say 4 or 5 (total) if you plan on snappi-ing or pinning. If you are going to trifold you will need 7 or 8 (total) because poo will get on the covers. I'd aim for a total of 30-36 prefolds and 4 or 5 covers.

Have you checked your local craigslist? I see a lot of good deals in my area (i'm on the west coast of Canada). I often see brand new diapers/covers for sale!

Also keep in mind that you can sell your newborn stash to fund bigger dipes

Last edited by BC Mom; 03-09-2010 at 07:55 PM.
BC Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
spacetygrss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You'll need 2-3 more covers and a dozen more prefolds to be comfy. Otherwise, expect to be washing diapers constantly (NBs are notorious for pooping right after their diaper is changed--it's just the nature of the beast). If you just plan to trifold the prefolds into covers then you need 4 more covers than what you have since poop will get on them.

ETA: You can make prefolds trim by having a prefold that fits well. In other words, something like GMD oranges are going to be trimmer (in general) than if you use infant-sized prefolds from the get-go (infants will have alot more fabric, thus making them bulky on a tiny newborn).

HTH

Last edited by spacetygrss; 03-09-2010 at 07:52 PM.
spacetygrss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
sweetgrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Mom View Post
It depends on how often you want to wash. Newborns will go through about 12 diapers a day. You will need more covers for sure. I'd say 4 or 5 if you plan on snappi-ing or pinning. If you are going to trifold you will need 7 or 8 because poo will get on the covers. I'd aim for 30-36 prefolds and 4 or 5 covers.

Have you checked your local craigslist? I see a lot of good deals in my area (i'm on the west coast of Canada). I often see brand new diapers/covers for sale!

Also keep in mind that you can sell your newborn stash to fund bigger dipes
Old 03-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
esuzannabeth
Registered Users
seller

I am in the thick of this right now - my DS is 2 weeks old! I have 24 newborn prefolds and 4 Thirsties x-small covers. It is the right amount of prefolds, but we are wishing we had 2 more covers. I have enough diapers to wash every other day, but not enough covers so we end up washing every day (not a big deal for us, but may not be what you want to do). As far as trim fit, I have been happy with the prefolds/Thirsties covers, but my DS was a big baby (9 pounds) so I don't have a baseline for the fit on an average size baby. Hope this helps!!
esuzannabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Preggo
Registered Users

My Mood:

thanks so much ladies! I have ordered 24 prefolds and 2 covers total, I plan on having one to wash immediatly as soon as baby is changed into the other one. How hard is it to get EBF poop off the covers? I was just planning on handwashing in the laundry sink quick.

I found preemie size prefolds so I ordered those, as well as one thirsties xs cover and one fishnoodlez cover (that one was the oopsie order) I think I will definatly have to sell these before I order the softbums I desperatly want as soon as they fit the baby.

We have really small babies (4-5 pounds) so its great to know that that thirsties still fit your baby at 9 pounds thanks so much.

I'm trying to do this on the cheap but if I find its too much work there is a store a few min away in the city that DH works at that sells the bummis superbrite covers in NB so he can always grab a few of those one day.

I am so desperatly trying to do this on the cheap LOL, but we will see how that works. We already have a stockpile of disposables other people have bought us so we can always alternate if everything is dirty!
Preggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
mama23boyz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had 36 prefolds and 4 covers to start and it worked well. I washed every 3 nights and would have 4-5 left to use while I was washing. You could wait to see how big your baby is before purchasing anymore too small. I just started out w/ the infant ones (they were a little bulky, but only for a month). I had a big baby, though. He never even wore newborn clothes.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
Duckduckfish
Registered Users
seller

I think if you have disposables as backups and don't mind using them, then wait till your baby arrives. After about a week or 2, you will know what extra you need if anything at all. And if your babies are that itty bitty when born, then you'll have a while to use the newbie stuff.
Duckduckfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
starrmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yup, I usually recommend 3 doz diapers and 6 covers for a newborn. For covers, can you make some wool or fleece ones yourself, find some very inexpensive used ones, or borrow some?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
Erica820
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esuzannabeth View Post
I am in the thick of this right now - my DS is 2 weeks old! I have 24 newborn prefolds and 4 Thirsties x-small covers. It is the right amount of prefolds, but we are wishing we had 2 more covers. I have enough diapers to wash every other day, but not enough covers so we end up washing every day (not a big deal for us, but may not be what you want to do). As far as trim fit, I have been happy with the prefolds/Thirsties covers, but my DS was a big baby (9 pounds) so I don't have a baseline for the fit on an average size baby. Hope this helps!!
I am so glad that I am not the only one with big babies! My last two babies were 8lbs 10 oz and 8 lbs 12 oz, so I assume this one due in June will be about that size too. My question is...did you use nb prefolds...like gmd....I am wondering if I should get any orange or just stick to yellow since she will probably be a big girl? Thanks.
Erica820 is offline   Reply With Quote