Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
2LittleLadys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
After 2 Csections can I have a vaginal?

So I am not even pg yet! (not even trying till next year) I just wanted to know if there was a way I could have a vaginal birth even though I had 2 c-sections in 2001 and 2003. Would a hospital even let me do that? Or would I do a home birth or birthing center? I never had problems first was because they had tried to induce me for 2 weeks. She got stuck in my pelvis she was also a big baby. 2nd because I figured once it happened you had to do it again. She was actually smaller then my 1st. (if any of that info helps!)

Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 03:01 AM   #2
rainydaysunshine
Registered Users
seller

Re: After 2 Csections can I have a vaginal?

You absolutely can have a VBA2C. I don't have any experience w/ it, but I know it can be done . There is a website that might help you called ICAN. http://www.ican-online.org/ And lots of the women on this site have done it. Good luck!
rainydaysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:54 AM   #3
ProudMomma
Registered Users
seller

I found this the other day and got really excited. I've had a C-section as well and would love to have a VBAC.

http://www.bjog.org/details/journalA...eans_asse.html

Keeping our angel in our hearts

Please PM me for anything important. I usually forget to check my threads
ProudMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller

You need to make sure that you have a supportive provider. My OB initially told me he would be OK with it and last appt he said NO. So, I am nearly 30 weeks and switching providers/hospitals to have a VBA2C.

I would think a birthing center would be a good place to start, some hospitals don't even allow VBA1C. Good luck!
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
BoysMama
Registered Users

My Mood:

absolutely!! I know someone who had 7 c-sections before she had two vaginal births! You have to know you can do it and push for it but it will be worth it in the end!

Last edited by BoysMama; 03-10-2010 at 09:14 AM.
BoysMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

I'm planning a VBA2C in October and have found many good things (information, that is) on the internet. I would research like crazy and be very well informed. Take it very seriously and I believe it can be done. I found some beautiful youtube videos showing successful hba2c's (home) that made me cry and want to do it myself! I hope you can find those as well. My ICAN chapter is so supportive and they helped me find a midwife to do a vba2c. I've already researched uterine rupture and the signs and symptoms so that I am aware. In my research on uterine rupture, I found two stories of untreated rupture in the hospital. So, hospital or not, it's a good idea to be well prepared and know your stuff. There are herbal supplements to help prepare your body as well for labor, like gentle birth formula that you start taking 5 weeks before delivery. Everything I've read so far says no pitocin for vbacs. The herbs should promote you delivering near your due date and to speed up delivery so they won't be tempted to use pitocin. I also read that hypnobirthing methods are good. And reading books on positioning, etc, help a lot. I'm hitting it from every angle and let's see what happens!! Also, since I have big babies, I'm on a glycemic (diabetic) diet to keep the weight down. I actually feel very good, have more energy and haven't gained as much weight as before already. I think it's working. Larger babies run you the risk of rupture even though the percentage is very low. Even though it's scary, I looked up all statistics on rupture, repeat c-section risks and vbac risks in order to make my decision. There are risks in every way to deliver. Even a mom giving birth for the first time with no prior c-section or anything can have a uterine rupture. So, we can not guarantee a risk free birth of any kind. Just choose the path you feel is best for you, your baby and family. Good luck and have fun researching!! It's all pretty interesting. Here in Florida, birthing centers can not do vba2c's in their facility, you can do them at home but it took me awhile to find a midwife willing, I hope OR is more helpful. The only OB's willing are 40 miles away and I read through my ICAN chapter that they are still very negative about it and use a lot of intervention like not letting you move around, using pitocin, etc. All of which will hinder your chances greatly of vbacing successfully. Your ICAN chapter can answer a lot of your local questions.
Designsbybequi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
MamaNic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

YES YES YES!!! You can! And I completely agree with the PP. You MUST educate yourself. Do your homework! As silly as it sounds, knowledge is power, girl! I had a csection with my daughter in Nov 2006 and after working very hard for it, I VBAC'd my son in Oct 2008! I found that the key was to avoid as many interventions as possible. Induction is not an option with a VBAC anyway, so that elimates one of the most "dangerous" ones.

My doctor was the same for both births and I had to FIGHT for my VBAC. Even though she did my c/s, she was the only one in the area that would even consider doing VBACs so I was stuck with her...bc I live in a state where it's illegal for a midwife to attend a woman that has had a csection (don't even get me started on this!!!). She tried right up to the very end to talk me out of it, but I was determined and in the end (and I do mean the end...like the last 4 hours of a 34 hour labor!!), she was my biggest supporter!
Just a side note, my c/s baby weighed 7 lbs, 13 oz and my vaginal baby weighed 9 lbs, 6 oz!!!!
Good luck! And feel free to pm me with questions.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
bellybellybuttons
Registered Users
Formerly: boobybaby
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't if I were you because the risks are there but if that is what you are wanting I am sure it is something you can do. I have had two c-sections and opted for the second as the first was an emergency c-section due to non-movement, we lost our little guy and I didn't want to risk anything with the next which is why I did the repeat c-section. As long as you make the right decision for yourself you will do fine. HTH
Old 03-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
Fusion
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaGirl82 View Post
You need to make sure that you have a supportive provider. My OB initially told me he would be OK with it and last appt he said NO. So, I am nearly 30 weeks and switching providers/hospitals to have a VBA2C.

I would think a birthing center would be a good place to start, some hospitals don't even allow VBA1C. Good luck!
it's crazy how many doctors will string you along like that. Happened to a friend of mine also, she switched late in pregnancy after her primary doc came in one day and scheduled her for a repeat c-section after telling her all along her would support a VBAC. She ended up having a wonderful VBAC experience, and now I am with the same practice she switched to and totally adore their philosophy. Good luck!

Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
LillyIvy
Registered Users
seller

My friend had her first baby with a vertical incision, and her second with horizontal incision (both on her uterus). So she basically has a T-shape (one of the highest chance for rupture). Her third daughter was born vaginally after 9 hours of labor and an epidural It can be done!