View Poll Results: How far to space kids:
Less than 18 months apart 18 10.84%
18-24 months apart 55 33.13%
More than 24 months apart 93 56.02%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #41
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Opinions on how far to space kids apart...

We are on the "3-year plan", so dd will be almost 3 when ds arrives in May (maybe late April). That was our plan from the beginning but I've certainly reconsidered it lately. Most of my life I thought 2 years was the perfect spacing, but when I would have needed to get pregnant for that to happen, I just wasn't interested in being pregnant. DD still seemed so little.

However, once we decided to conceive this one, I found myself not so much wanting to be pregnant as wanting to just HAVE a baby. I wish we were doing the 2-year thing. I think having kids close is probably really hard when they're little but that only lasts so long and then it's all worth it. But I guess I wouldn't know, since I've never done it.

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #42
MommyH2O
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 15 months 4 days between #1 and #2. #2 is 13 1/2 months & #3 could be here anyday... I voted less than 18 months. I LOVE having my kiddos close in age
MommyH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #43
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My kids will be less than 18 months apart no matter what. I am 41 and just don't have a whole lot of time to be putting in between the various kids we luck out and have. It will turn out as well as our attitudes can manage...LOL. Currently, ODS and YDS will be 13 months apart.

My brother and I are 26 months apart. Not bad. Could have been closer but we were both IUD babies so it isn't like our parents were trying to hit that goal.

My mom's siblings are all exactly (give or take a day or two) 18 months apart (5 kids). She always found it embarrassing that there were exact weeks in the year that it was obvious that her parents DTD. As far as the kids were though 18 months apart was not really an issue. My grandmother had no big problems raising them at that length of separation.

My dad's siblings are mostly 13-16 months apart (12 kids), but my grandmother is a frigging General. She had every kid doing something from an early age so that she was not the only person handling those kids that close together. I think she is clearly the exception (and everyone says I am just like her; we'll see).

Last edited by JAG's baby mama; 03-11-2010 at 11:13 AM.
JAG's baby mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #44
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think spacing makes no gurantees of how your children will get along. My Sister and I are 18 months apart and never got along, we deal with each other now, but are not close. My BFF has 3 years between youngest sister and they were almost always close, my other friend had 5 years between her sisters and they were always close. I think personalities make a much bigger difference then age. In the end every family needs to pick what is best for them. I would never personally have kids as close in age as my sister and I just cause it didn't work for us and hated it as a kid. But thats me.

nak
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #45
bay'n'lace
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairycat View Post
I think spacing makes no gurantees of how your children will get along. My Sister and I are 18 months apart and never got along, we deal with each other now, but are not close. My BFF has 3 years between youngest sister and they were almost always close, my other friend had 5 years between her sisters and they were always close. I think personalities make a much bigger difference then age. In the end every family needs to pick what is best for them. I would never personally have kids as close in age as my sister and I just cause it didn't work for us and hated it as a kid. But thats me.

nak
I agree with this. I have a friend that's a twin and he and his twin brother DESPISE one another. That has to be awkward because they are identical. Wouldn't it be weird to look at someone you really didn't like who looked EXACTLY like you? LOL

But yeah, my brother and I are 3 years apart and we are insanely close.

I see your point

Mother to two beautiful daughters and one lil man!
bay'n'lace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #46
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay'n'lace View Post
I agree with this. I have a friend that's a twin and he and his twin brother DESPISE one another. That has to be awkward because they are identical. Wouldn't it be weird to look at someone you really didn't like who looked EXACTLY like you? LOL

But yeah, my brother and I are 3 years apart and we are insanely close.

I see your point
Interesting you say that I knew a pair of identical twins that worked in the same mall, but didn't speak for almost two years. That was very ackward, since people would often comment on "the girl who looks exactly like you" at the other store to her. It was sad, they speak now, but still aren't close.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #47
babyhope78
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids are 22 months apart. Much sooner than we planned but it worked out well. The first few months were a little overwhelming as dd regressed and stopped sleeping and started acting out and being very clingy and needy. However, she's always adored her brother and now that my son is 5 months old it has gotten much easier. They are already super close and I can't wait to watch them grow up together. I was bf'ing when I got pregnant and didn't have any problems until I reached 5-6 months of pregnancy. I still had some milk, although the supply dipped. The big thing was that the taste changed and dd didn't like it anymore. She weaned herself when she was 18 months old. When ds was born she wanted to try to latch on again but she had forgotten how in those few months she wasn't nursing. I occasionally will pump and put my milk in her sippy cup as she still loves the taste.

One problem I encountered was that my ob was very against bf'ing when pregnant. She told me by bf'ing I was choosing the child that was already here over the child in my womb and that I could easily miscarry. I did research on my own and found nothing to back up her claims and continued to bf but it was a disturbing experience.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #48
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my girls are 20 months apart. if i had it to do over again i would put them 3 years apart. i continually feel like im missing out on so much w/ my now 2 year old..... i REALLY miss our mommy & me time we use to have, all the time! it would've been easier, physically & emotionally if we'd waited to have Brooke, like waited until Reese was preschool age. . or maybe even Kindergarten...

and yes, this is something I thought I'd never say.
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #49
BabyD'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

I only have one at the moment. She is 8.5 months old. DH and I have just been doing the whole pull-out thing lately. I know it isn't reliable, but we wouldn't be upset if we got pregnant again so soon. We are pretty much getting on the "not preventing, but not trying" train right now and will probably start "trying" when she is a year old. Ideally, we want 18-24 months between my kiddos. Some people think this is selfish because it will "take away" from DD when she is still a baby herself, but I think it will work best for our family. My only fear is losing my milk.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #50
2beauties
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS and DD are 15 months apart. It was rough in the beginning, but now its so easy because they play all the time together. Now this one and DD will be 2.5 years apart and that seems like an eternity to me, but others are always saying oh they will all be so close. But when you have two that are 15 months apart, 2.5 years seems like a big gap