View Poll Results: How far to space kids:
Less than 18 months apart 18 10.84%
18-24 months apart 55 33.13%
More than 24 months apart 93 56.02%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #51
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Opinions on how far to space kids apart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyP View Post
My kids are 2.5 years apart and I think that is Perfect. They get along great and play together really well. My sister was 4 years older and we were never close. My Dh also has a older sister and younger sister and the spacing is more then 4 years apart so they were never really close either. We wanted to have our kids closer together.
This is what my dh and I are hoping for!

Advertisement

Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #52
browneyeNYmomma
Registered Users
seller

[/QUOTE]One problem I encountered was that my ob was very against bf'ing when pregnant. She told me by bf'ing I was choosing the child that was already here over the child in my womb and that I could easily miscarry. I did research on my own and found nothing to back up her claims and continued to bf but it was a disturbing experience.[/QUOTE]

That is so sad that your OB responded to you in that way!!! This is one very good example of why I am hoping to go the homebirth route next time (haven't decided 100% yet)! My first DD's delivery went fine in a hospital, but it was not what I hoped for...so many rules and regulations! There are no natural birth clinics here in the Syracuse area, so it's either hospital or homebirth!

So, for the mamas who had their LO's close together, what do you do if you're mostly just bf'ing and all of a sudden your milk dries up? I cant imagine just overnight they can start taking in as much as needed from solids and I definitely would not want to have to give formula at that point!
browneyeNYmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #53
Loveme2x
Registered Users

My Mood:

As of this week, DH and I are officially TTC #2. DS is 1 year, so we'd be looking at 20+ months apart if it happens soon. I can't comment on which spacing I prefer, so I didn't vote, but our reasoning for TTC now is to have the 2 close together so we can get this baby business done and over with! Not sure I'd be too keen on DS gaining all kinds of independence and getting some of my own freedom back only to turn around and have a newborn again, if that makes any sense. Of course, I could totally wind up eating my words if I get preg anytime soon and have 2 close together!

FWIW, my sis and I are 28 months apart, as are her own kids, and that seems to be a nice spacing, too.
.married to my BFF (9/05).
cautiously with #2 (7/1/11)
Loveme2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #54
BabyD'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

deleted

Last edited by BabyD'sMommy; 03-11-2010 at 01:51 PM.
BabyD'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #55
BabyD'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyeNYmomma View Post
So, for the mamas who had their LO's close together, what do you do if you're mostly just bf'ing and all of a sudden your milk dries up? I cant imagine just overnight they can start taking in as much as needed from solids and I definitely would not want to have to give formula at that point!
This is what I'm concerned about and wondering too.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #56
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i got pregnant with my second when my first was 7 months old (they are 16 months apart). my milk production slowed way down and i weaned my firstborn at 9 months. it wasn't ideal, but not the end of the world either.

i have three and they are 16 months apart and then 19 months apart. honestly, i prefer them more spaced out (like around 3 years apart) for many reasons. i see my youngest (14 months) and oldest (4 years) interact and it's great because they don't compete over things and the older one is old enough to be caring and helpful toward the younger one. Right now the two boys that are 16 months apart literally compete over everything and it's very exhausting. i know when they are older things will be different, but right now it's pretty annoying.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #57
browneyeNYmomma
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the input mamas! So many different views and good points to all of them! I guess as far as the majority goes, DH is right! The majority said to have them more than 24 months apart! I still can't help but want to have them really close together, LOL! Hubby's not on board yet but who knows what will happen
browneyeNYmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:53 AM   #58
seattlemama
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DD's are 23 months apart, and oh how I wish they were further apart. I have found juggling two very young children with very little self-sufficiency really difficult.

My older DD Aurelia is still not coming along with us on this adventure and pretty much wants to kill or maim sister Cicely who is now almost a year. When Cicely needs something (e.g. diaper change, to nurse, etc.), Aurelia has always immediately needed something urgently at that very same moment. She constantly says, "I don't like Cicely," and wants to exclude her from everything. She tries to push, shove, hit, kick.... We're trying everything from special time, coop preschool, extra snuggles, more physical play, a reward system... We're reading everything we can find too, but so far nothing is helping...

I'm sure many factors influence the kind of sibling rivalry we have going on at our house, including personality, parenting style, birth order, time of day, etc. And maybe having them further apart would have made no difference. But, if Aurelia had been a little older she at least would have been a little more developmentally independent. Maybe she would have been closer to that "want to do it by myself" stage and therefore a little less devastated at having to share mom and dad. Who knows. I'd say 3 years in between...
seattlemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:37 AM   #59
Prov1634
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS is 9 mo old. While I'd love to be preggo again, and am looking forward to having another, I don't want to rush it, because:

~This is the only time in my life that I will have only 1 child. I love being able to spend 1 on 1 time with him, and just generally enjoying the special time that this is.

~We also will probably only have 2. I'm definitely not looking forward to 'being done'.

~Also, 2 - 2 1/2 years seems to be pretty good spacing (sociologically speaking) as this distance seems to encourage good interpersonal dynamics... Far enough apart so there's less feeling of competition. Close enough to become good friends. Close enough that child #1 doesn't develop 'only-child' syndrome.

Just my .

Want to try Swagbucks? ---> http://swagbucks.com/refer/Prov1634
Prov1634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #60
Incubus527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always thought 3 years was a good age difference, and since my boy turns 2 in April, and I have one due in Oct, they will be 2.5 years apart which I also think is going to be great!
Incubus527 is offline   Reply With Quote