Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
CareyDL
Registered Users

Breastfeeding while pregnant

I could use some tips on breastfeeding sucessfully while pregnant. I'm about 22 weeks along, DD is 14 months old, and I feel like I'm drying up. I'm taking More Milk Two, drinking Red Raspberry Leaf Tea, and drinking lots of water, but my milk supply seems to be dropping daily. Of course, DD and I still have our nursing sessions, but I feel like she's not getting a ton and I miss my big full breasts! The good news is, in a few short months I will be full again and we can all enjoy tandem breastfeeding. However, I'd love some suggestions on what worked for you mamas to keep up your supply up during pregnancy. TIA!

Advertisement

CareyDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
CareyDL
Registered Users

Re: Breastfeeding while pregnant

Bump
CareyDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
mandyhoward
Registered Users

Unfortunately, I don't think that supplements can override pregnancy hormones. Some women will keep lactating through pregnancy, but I read somewhere that 70% will lose their supply. I have a 12 month old and am 12 weeks pregnant and my milk is on its way out.

I read something at kellymom recently, though, that said if given the choice over 50% of toddlers will nurse through a pregnancy, even with no milk. So if you can hang in there and dry nurse for a bit, you should be able to make it through.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Yep, hang in there! You might also be making colostrum (even if just a tiny amount) so that's something rather than dry nursing!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
chickymomma
Registered Users

My dd weaned herself at 16 months when I was 7 months pregnant. The pregnancy hormones made my milk taste so bitter - she quit drinking EBM when I was about 4 months pregnant, but continued to nurse twice a day for a few more months, then self weaned. So, I really have no advice, but I did want to say good luck!!! I would just keep nursing as long as your dd will continue, even if you don't think she's getting much. Hopefully she will hang on just a little longer!!!! Have you tried oatmeal? I'm not a huge fan of plain old oatmeal, but even oatmeal cookies or granola bars would help me when I noticed a drop in supply. And make sure you are eating enough, just in general - sometimes I would get so busy with dd that I would forget to eat and that would cause my supply to drop. Just a few ideas...GOOD LUCK!!!
chickymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
Dahlea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There's not a lot more you can do, things like fenugreek aren't safe in pregnancy. I took the more milk 2 as well and it seemed to help. You could try oatmeal as well. Mine is happy enough suckling away even if there's not much milk (18 weeks and 17 months) Good luck!
Mama to Zanthias (10/13) and wife to Drew, love of my life I offer snap services (including converting BGs and similar to snaps)! I sell Longaberger baskets! Join SB to earn giftcards! Due 8/10 with a surprise!
Dahlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
azmokitty
Banned

My Mood:

you won't totally dry up, but at some point it changes over to colostrum. my DD stopped nursing at 21 weeks pregnant with DD2. but i tell you, my ,ilk came in by the second day this time around! i am sure it will be the same for you too. maybe you toddler won't mind. i've a friend who nursed her whole pregnancy and her 2 yr old could havecaed less if she wasn't getting lots of milk. it was mostly for comfort for her.

and be careful on supplements. like PP said...some aren't safe in pregnancy.
azmokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm sorry mama.. I wish I could help. My problem was my DS1 & DS2 didnt like the taste of my milk once I hit the 20ish week mark, so they just refused to nurse. DS3 never seemed to mind and is still nursing, about 5 weeks shy of my EDD... and now I'm a little nervous about tandem feeding.

I hope you can find a solution & continue to nurse your LO throughout your pregnancy.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

My milk came in super early last time, too. I was nursing my DD1 (27 months when DD2 was born) and my milk was in like 24 hours after birth.

This time though, I was nursing DD1 (4 years) and DD2 (21 months) when DS was born and my milk took 2 days to come in (same it took when DD1 was born).

I agree to keep nursing though. My milk never "disappeared" during pregnancy, but was obviously less once it changed to colostrum, but neither of my girls ever lost interest and stopped nursing (even my 4 year old who's close to CLW).
Old 03-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
JerBearsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in a similiar boat. I'm 14.5 weeks and my 15 month old DS will nurse on occassion, but isn't getting much milk at all. But he still enjoys the nursing time, so we'll see how it goes. Good luck to you!
JerBearsMama is offline   Reply With Quote