Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
mommy2c&j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ammonia smell issues....HELP!!!

How in the world do I get the ammonia smell out of my diapers and inserts?!?! It smells soooo bad! It is mainly Jacob's night diaper, but still. I can't stand it in the morning. What can I do to get rid of this. I have tried washing it in hot water until there are no suds, and I have also stripped them. I even added a little bit of bleach and washed them again to see if that would help. I am at a loss, and really don't want to use cloth at night anymore because of the smell. I can't see how that would be good for his skin either. Can anyone help me? TIA

Advertisement

Last edited by mommy2c&j; 02-03-2007 at 03:17 PM.
mommy2c&j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
EmmalinesMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ammonia issues....

Have you tried stripping them with a quarter cup or so of vinegar, too?

Good luck... I know this can be frustrating.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
mommy2c&j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ammonia issues....

yeah...I think I have tried just about everything. I have been washing them 3x a day now in hot water for the past 4 days. The first time I wash with a little bit of dawn and vinegar, then I wash them 2 more times with just hot water. I don't know what else to do....
mommy2c&j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ammonia smell issues....HELP!!!

This is one of the reasons we don't use cloth at night right now . I have yet to find something that actually holds his pee except VBSN and I had to wash them every single day because they smelled up the pail so badly. I want so much to use cloth at night but have tried everything I can think of.

When this happens to my dipes I usually do an extra wash with vinegar/baking soda. I don't usually have the ammonia problem though because I do so many washes. Maybe try an extra hot wash/rinse cycle? Sorry you're having to deal with this.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #5
hlahickman
Registered Users
seller

running them through the dishwasher is the only thing that worked for me. I have to run them through every 4 months or so...
hlahickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Are you using hemp inserts?
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:06 PM   #7
diaperjoys
Registered Users
seller

What kind of dipes/inserts are you using? We had this problem, only the night diaper was so fume filled it burned my little guy's bottom and was really painful for him. 100% cotton worked alot better for us, since it washes up easiest, topped with a breathable cover so fumes didn't build up through the night. (stacinator fleece was what we used, but there are tons of others). We had the biggest problems when using microfiber and pul.

When we do get an occasional ammonia smell from the night diaper I rinse the inserts out in the sink before I toss it in the diaper pail, and that cuts down on pail odor, and keeps me from having to wash every day.

Hope you find a combo that works for you!
diaperjoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
sleeky_meerkat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my! I could have wrote this exact same post!! We are having the exact same problem. My normal washing routine is

cold soak
hot wash with:
baking soda
vingear
dawn
cold rinse x2

Sometimes I add a bit of TTO to one of the rinses. Well, we got hit with the stinkies and I tried washing and washing and washing. Then I finally tried 'striping' by boiling (we don't have a dishwasher). Man, that was exhausting. Then I washed and washed again. Nope, still stinky.

Finally, I was at my wits end and just added 1/4c bleach to the soak before adding the dipes. Then I added my prefolds and inserts. Well, the bleach knocked the stink out, but it also bleached my UNbleached prefolds. Since I hate white dipes, I am now dying them with Dylon.

If the stinkies come back, I might just sneak them over to my mom's and wash them with her dishwasher.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
ocanfield
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had the same problem...not so much with ammonia smell...just stinky...but found that rinsing my diapers out before putting them in the pail helped. I stopped using microfiber and PUL because it seemed to be worse with that combination. I also was always paranoid about putting too much detergent in, but found I was putting way too little and the diapers were just not getting clean enough. They smelled clean with they were dry, but as soon as she peed, they stunk. I started adding just a bit more detergent and it seemed to do the trick. It is definitely frustrating!!!!!

Polliwogs Recycled Wool Slippers
ocanfield is offline   Reply With Quote