Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
cwieberdink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Doc. Not liking ecological breastfeeding for PP birth control.

When my clients come back for their 6 week postpartum, I ASK them if THEY want to talk about birth control, and then I discuss pros and cons of their options if they want the info. Otherwise, if they say no, that's the end. It shouldn't matter to the doc what you do. If it's less effective, more business for him right?

Advertisement

cwieberdink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller

Well, I got pregnant before I intended to while BF AND using condoms, so I do not think it is a reliable BC method.

That said, if you don't want to have any other form of BC, that is YOUR choice and I would just tell your doctor to butt out, honestly.
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tell them it is none of their damn business?

After my first, they harped on me to get on bc. I kept explaining that I don't believe that I should use hormonal ones, my ffamily has major history of issues related to hormones anyway, that I had been using temping/charting successfully for years. Oh yeah I had no guy around. That wasn't enough to make them shut up. Grr.
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #14
cjbug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerBearsMama View Post
you body, your business, your decision. shame on the doctor for expressing his opinion on such a personal matter.
I had the same issue. I ended up finding a new doc.
Fan me on Facebook!!
cjbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Its not a die hard form of BC, even if it worked once...... But that shouldn't matter your choice for BC is your choice.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #16
HybridVigor
Registered Users

Most people don't know that Ecological Breastfeeding (which takes 7 specific criteria, please read all 7 bullet points under "Ecological Breastfeeding" at this link).) is actually an option for a lot of women.

Of course, the level of hormones which suppress ovulation varies from woman to woman, but if you're following all 7 criteria to increase the chances of lactational amenorrhea, and you listen to your own body, you can definitely avoid pregnancy without barriers or pills.

It's 98-99% effective for the first 6 months. After that point, it really depends on the woman. If you have a history of success with the method (conceiving so late after the first child because of BFing amenorrhea), I don't see what the problem is with continuing.

Be firm with the doctor, remain self assured in your choices, and perhaps suggest the book Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing: How Ecological Breastfeeding Spaces Babies by Sheila K. Kippley. It's by no means a medical text or study, but having a reference might be valuable.

In any case, if you feel pressured again, find another doctor.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #17
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lol. . .mine keeps trying to get me sign the tubal papers since I got preggo with DD2. I would do as I please since it's YOUR body! If you want 100 kids 9 months apart, that's you and your DH's business

It's a Boy!! Due April 30th!!
3girlsallnaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:38 PM   #18
Zabibaby
Registered Users
Formerly: rose_hesh
seller

My Mood:

...and if your BC does not work??...hey that is your problem not his LOL.
I do the same thing as you. I tell my dr upfront that I will go to the postpartum check up just for that ...the checkup but no discussion about BC. So we talk nothing about that.
I use the calendar, efective ??? no, I have concieved several times using it to prevent pregnancy but we are open to life, I dont need a dr to remind me is not the most effective BC ever.

I have concieved also breastfeeding :-)), but that is between you and your husband, no one else.
Visit Zabi Babyfor all your diapering needs. Nikky Covers, Weehuggers, GroVia, Little Comfort, Bum Genius and more. Our own sized Indian prefolds. Lay Away and Free shipping on most items. Licensed to embroider Ooga Booga. Coupon code DSM5 - 10% off Try our new bamboo flats!
Zabi Baby on Facebook
Zabibaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #19
Zabibaby
Registered Users
Formerly: rose_hesh
seller

My Mood:

I dont understand why doctors want to pressure woman into BC, is not like you are going to take him to court to support the kid if you get pregnant.
Visit Zabi Babyfor all your diapering needs. Nikky Covers, Weehuggers, GroVia, Little Comfort, Bum Genius and more. Our own sized Indian prefolds. Lay Away and Free shipping on most items. Licensed to embroider Ooga Booga. Coupon code DSM5 - 10% off Try our new bamboo flats!
Zabi Baby on Facebook
Zabibaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #20
pennylayne82
Registered Users

My Mood:

Why are you referring to yourself as less educated in this matter?? You are educated, you made an educated choice that you know has worked well for you in the past. We used the same method for BC. And if you don't want your DH to hear that crap, don't take him! problem solved
pennylayne82 is offline   Reply With Quote