Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #31
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Doc. Not liking ecological breastfeeding for PP birth control.

To me, it would depend on how they presented the information.

If it was more of a "well you know that has a high failure rate, so you are taking a risk" that's one thing...but if their attitude is suggesting you are a moron or they are being really pushy about it that's another and I'd be considering another doctor personally. I think it's pretty commonplace for them to ask you at the 6 week checkup what you plan on using, so that if you want an IUD or a prescription for a birth control pill/patch/ring or need to be fitted for a diaphragm or what have you then you can get it done while you are there, since you likely won't see them again until your annual pap, if then. So it's more about HOW they ask about it to me.

FWIW I just tell my doctor my neurologist said no hormones (which is true) and that we'll be using condoms (which is not so true).

ETA: You can put me in the "got pregnant at 5 months PP while still exclusively BFing" club so I'm a bit jealous that you are even able to use BFing as a form of birth control!

Advertisement

And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.

Last edited by nrsenadenos; 03-21-2010 at 02:55 PM.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #32
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just say no thanks. As the PPs have said, it is your decision and tough if they don't like it. For all they know, you could be planning for Irish twins, or close siblings. Really, it is none of their business unless you ask.
My midwife tried to push stuff on me too, really stressing IUDs. Firstly, I have a history of ectopic pregnancy, so I couldn't get one if I wanted to. Secondly, I don't morally agree with them. But I didn't need to make excuses, I just said no and left it at that.

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #33
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

The doctor may be reluctant about it because in my experience most women who think they won't get pregnant because they're breastfeeding are not even really practicing lactational amenorrhea, let alone ecological breastfeeding. If the doctor doesn't really know how LAM or EB work, or thinks you may be one of the women who just think "Oh, I'm breastfeeding so I won't get pregnant," that could explain a lot of the hesitation. If you care to, you may want to make sure your doctor understands what it really is that you're doing.

All that aside, it truly is none of the doctor's business beyond asking if you're interested in, will be using, or have any questions about birth control.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #34
amandabarugh
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphibology29 View Post
The doctor may be reluctant about it because in my experience most women who think they won't get pregnant because they're breastfeeding are not even really practicing lactational amenorrhea, let alone ecological breastfeeding. If the doctor doesn't really know how LAM or EB work, or thinks you may be one of the women who just think "Oh, I'm breastfeeding so I won't get pregnant," that could explain a lot of the hesitation. If you care to, you may want to make sure your doctor understands what it really is that you're doing.

All that aside, it truly is none of the doctor's business beyond asking if you're interested in, will be using, or have any questions about birth control.
I especially agree with the first few sentences.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #35
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with PPs. Why does it matter? If you choose it, you take responsibility for whether you fall pregnant or not, maybe it is slightly less reliable than other methods but surely you are an intelligent person and have thought about that decision and made it with that in mind. If you're willing to take that risk then it's your own business, nobody elses. FWIW NO method is totally reliable anyway, and I'm also one who doesn't return to fertility for a long time while BF, so I'm doing the same thing, and if an oopsie happens, so be it! My midwife was quite supportive of that.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #36
sbbeana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Doctors really have no business whether or not you choice to use BC. I went in for my PP visit last week and that was one of the first things my OB asked me. I told her I'm not going on any BC. Then her assistant jumps in asking me if we're just planning on using condoms It's none of your dang business!

I just smiled and said yes just to end the conversation. I would just tell your doctor you've made your decision and as the patient, he/she needs to respect your decision and leave it at that.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #37
birdie
Registered Users
seller

Its your body and your decision so really the doc cant do anything about it. If you feel thats whats right for you and its worked for you in the past go ahead and if your doc doesnt like it maybe you can find a new one. Ultimately you have the final say. Good luck!
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #38
jossb
Registered Users

Definately your choice. Unless you have had a c-section and getting pregnant poses a safety issue, then they have no business making judgement. LAM can be effective for some, and not so effective for others, you really do take a chance. And as long as your ok with whatever outcome you get, then thats all the matters.
jossb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #39
calleiah
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabibaby View Post
I dont understand why doctors want to pressure woman into BC,
Because they make tons of money off of it. Whether it's pills or IUDs, the companies that make them give doctors HUGE incentives to push as much as they can. You should hear some of the things they give docs for pushing Mirena. It's crazy.

At OP- I'd use a final statement to shut them down, something along the lines of "I appreciate that opinion, but our BC has been arranged and we're set for now. Thanks anyway."
If they push it from there, just tell them it's not up for discussion or debate.
I know, a lot easier said than done, mine was pretty pushy too. And I totally know what you mean about their negativity influencing your DH.

Last edited by calleiah; 03-29-2010 at 11:18 AM.
calleiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:33 AM   #40
hopetc
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it's a topic they are in some way required to bring up. You can do whatever you want. If you had a c/s that would require more healing before another pg maybe it's valid that they cover the safety issues for why you should prevent. Now I'm not completely familiar with the term you used but if it's the idea of nursing on demand including co-sleeping and all for bc...did not work for my mom who got pg when baby was 8months, and my cycle returned at 10 months (baby hardly ate solids) so I'm not sure I'd put my trust in it for long, but I think I read it's pretty safe for the first 6 months.
hopetc is offline   Reply With Quote