Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
Nightowl Jan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What is lanolizing method?

I use disana wool soaker. I got it used here on DS and I lanolized it but not sure if I did a good enough job. Doesn't seem to be as bulletproof as some people say their disana is. I took the lanolin from my lansinoh bf'ing tube, mixed it with a small amount of hot water and a tiny drop of my usual baby soap. After the soaker was freshly washed I had it sitting in warm water and I squirted the lanolin mixture all over the diaper (turned inside out), soaked it like that for 10 minutes or so then rolled it in towel and let it air dry. I saw this tutorial somwhere...

What is you best method for lanolizing!?

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is lanolizing method?

That sounds about right, although I would recommend soaking for at least 15 minutes. How much lanolin did you use? I think about a pea sized drop should be enough for one soaker. You might also want to use your hands and gently press the lanolin mixture into the soaker.

Also, I think Disana recommends that you gently felt the soaker before using it -- that will make it more bulletproof. I'm not sure how best to do that, though (never owned a disana before).
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do mine until its sticky. It wears off quickly but its tacky for the first day.

What did you have under the wool?
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
r8chel
Registered Users
seller

A good cover is important, but an adequate soaker is vital. The cover is only as good as the absorbent material under it.

I like to take my covers and lift them up out of the water and let the water drain through them. I think this helps the cover to "catch" more lanolin in the fibers.

I was thinking the same as you when I first started with wool. "What is all the hype? It leaked!" Once I used a thicker soaker pad in it and lanolized it again, it is the GREATEST thing I've EVER used!

Good luck! Don't give up!

~Rachel

Wife to Cory (09.25.04) ... Mama to Jaydence (06.06.08) and Levi (11.12.09)
r8chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
Nightowl Jan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the input... I guess I will stick to my pockets for 3 days so I can relanolize it and let it dry :P I think I did not use enough. Also, the diaper underneith probably wasn't absorbent enough. I used a hemp Kissaluvs with a a mf insert under the snap-in doubler. BUT I just bought 2 Sbish Magic dipes to try so with using more lanolin and a better diaper we will see! I also only have one wool cover. They are so gosh darn spensive! I am going to try my hand in recycling a sweater version.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my recycled one. I got a lambswool sweater from the dollar of all places(they have "vintage clothes"i.e stuff that did not sell st salvation army)
I felted it first. Then I used Katrina's soaker pattern with the extra wetness zone piece. This sucker is beyond bullet proof. I even had enough to make a pair of longies too.It does not take long. I even sewed it by hand and it only took me a short while to make!
But as too the lanolizing, that is exactly how I do it.I use a slightly but more than a pea size of both lanolin and soap though.
drunkenmonkeysmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
Nightowl Jan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

awesome! i think i was just not using enough lanolin!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #8
noranuks
Registered Users

Oh yes! Give Katrina's soaker pattern a try! We use all recycled wool here, and have yet to have any problems.

** Soakers, wool changing pads, legging style longies, holiday longies and NEW cargo style longies! Use coupon code dsmama for free shipping!! Happy Holidays!
noranuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
sjanea74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup, I'll agree to try more lanolin and maybe a little more of the baby wash. The baby wash will help the lanolin suspend more evenly in the water so you don't get lanolin spots. I always get my water in the sink/bowl, then mix up my lanolin/soap in water, pour that into the sink then, with my wool inside out, lower it into the water wetzone first Then I usually give it a few gentle squeezes to work the water/lanolin in and let it soak for like an hour or more.

Don't give up on wool, its my absolute favorite nighttime cover

sjanea74 is offline   Reply With Quote