Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mini-pill and BF

I'm thinking of going on micronor sometime in the next few months, well, just thinking about it and not sure yet. I know that most docs say it won't, but has anybody found it to have an effect on their milk supply? Also, if I find it isn't working out for me and I don't like it, and stop taking it, will it then cause me to be more likely to start ovulating again? (Compared to if I'd never taken it and just relying on BF as birth control).

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mini-pill and BF

I took it for about a month when DS was 2 months old and I didn't notice a change in my supply. I pretty much had an over-supply though. I did notice that I turned into a crazy angry mama who wanted to kill her DH. Those hormones don't work well for me.

I don't know if it would make you more likely to ovulate BUT I would definitely not rely on BFing as a method of BC. SO many mamas get preg when they are EBFing.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I took the Mini-pill with DS1. It did not affect my milk supply at all. I'm not sure (for sure) if it would cause you to ovulate again as opposed to never having started it. What I CAN tell you, is that after starting it my period came back at about 4 months post partum.

With DS 2, I did NOT use any hormonal birth control, and my period came back at about 14 months post partum.

I don't know if that's for everyone , but that's just my experience.

I don't know if you'd ovulate once or twice after comming off of it, and then go back to no ovulation or not.

It would be a good question for your doctor.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Heidi's Haven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started the mini pill when I was 6 weeks PP and I also experienced a over supply of milk. I mean I sprayed milk every were. It was so irritating. My poor DD would chock when I was feeding here and I would soak through my nursing pads very quickly. Just recently has my milk supply started to slow down and my DD is 6 months now.

I have been a crazy woman towards my DH since giving birth too. I wonder if the pill is why. I just recently stopped taking the pill because I am not being able to lose any weight. I thought that the pill might be the reason. I have noticed that I have not been getting mad so quickly with my DH over small things. I did not put two and two together until now.

As for starting your period back up, I still have not had one yet. I have heard that breastfeeding is not a good form of birth control though. I have heard that you are more fertile after giving birth. Am I wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaWillow View Post
I took it for about a month when DS was 2 months old and I didn't notice a change in my supply. I pretty much had an over-supply though. I did notice that I turned into a crazy angry mama who wanted to kill her DH. Those hormones don't work well for me.

I don't know if it would make you more likely to ovulate BUT I would definitely not rely on BFing as a method of BC. SO many mamas get preg when they are EBFing.

Check out my ISO/IHA

SAVE MONEY AND SWAP BOOKS @ PAPERBACKSWAP.COM
Heidi's Haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No advice, but I'm just reading up as I was prescribed the mini pill as well. I haven't filled the Rx yet because I've yet to hear a rave about it

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
tcmt81
Registered Users
seller

Well if you want a rave..

I've been on it since 6 weeks post-partum. DD is 11.5 months old. It hasn't affected my moods, hasn't affected sex drive, and hasn't dried me out down there. I haven't started my period yet. I had oversupply for a while, and currently, I make tons of milk.

I do take it at approximately the same time every day. We also use condoms EVERY time because I know they are not as fool proof as the combo pills.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmt81 View Post
Well if you want a rave..

I've been on it since 6 weeks post-partum. DD is 11.5 months old. It hasn't affected my moods, hasn't affected sex drive, and hasn't dried me out down there. I haven't started my period yet. I had oversupply for a while, and currently, I make tons of milk.

I do take it at approximately the same time every day. We also use condoms EVERY time because I know they are not as fool proof as the combo pills.
Thanks for the rave

I have heard of a few ladies getting pregnant while on the MP. Does it have a lower efficacy [ sp? ] rate than other forms of BC?

I do NOT want to do condoms.. but I'm also not that opposed to another pregnancy in the near future, either, so I guess whatever happens is fine by me.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
tcmt81
Registered Users
seller

Yes, it has a very short half life and has to be taken at the same time every day. Being just 3 hours late on a pill could cause you to ovulate. With combo pills, if you miss a pill and take it the next day, you usually will be covered still.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmt81 View Post
Yes, it has a very short half life and has to be taken at the same time every day. Being just 3 hours late on a pill could cause you to ovulate. With combo pills, if you miss a pill and take it the next day, you usually will be covered still.
That's why I opted for the combo pill and no decrease in supply, in fact I think my supply has gotten more plentiful.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #10
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I took it and it KILLED my milk supply. I went from engorged everyday to nothing - couldn't squeeze a drop out - within about 24 hours of taking the first pill. It did improve slightly (very slightly) within another 24 hours. I was having such a difficult time getting DD to nurse, though, that I just gave up on it. I took the pills for about a week. I had to supplement with formula after nursing. About 24-48 hours after stopping the pill, I was rock-hard-engorged again. Thank goodness! I'm glad I quit, I believe it saved our nursing relationship!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote