Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
KrystleO_1027
Registered Users

Is my breast a security blanket?

Has anyone had their LO do this...wondering if it's normal! lol.

DS is 14 months (friday). He still nurses tons, on demand, during the day. He also still nurses TONS at night....we're trying to work on that...

Well the last few nights i'll go to nurse him before bed. He's really sleepy. I'll pull my breast out. He'll grab on to it, snuggle up, and close his eyes! I'll let him snuggle for a minute, but i do want him to nurse so he'll really sleep.

So i'm trying to slowly night wean, because he's getting up 5+ times a night to nurse!!! How wrong/weird would it be, to encourage snuggling..with my breast...instead of nursing? Is this just asking for another struggle to stop him from snuggling with my breast?

He's also a nipple twiddler. He likes to use my nipple like a button, trying to push it. he also figured out how to make the milk squirt and thinks it's hilarious!

So now i'm wondering...maybe all these night wakings he just wants the skin contact. Is that normal at 14m?

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is my breast a security blanket?

Yes totally normal. My two were the same and I know lots of women in real life and online who experienced same. Babies between the age of 12 mos and 18 mos are very, very difficult to wean. Have you read Mothering your nursing toddler? Really good book on the topic. You could probably find it at a library or your local la leche league might have a lending copy. Or buy one! It is the best resource for how to deal with nursing toddlers, when and how to wean them, and support for nursing them so long. It will make you feel better.

By the way, my oldest nursed for 30 mos and my youngest is still nursing at 33 mos.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
KrystleO_1027
Registered Users

Thanks!

I'm in no way trying to wean him. I'd be happy if he nursed until 3!! I just really would like more then a few hours of sleep at a time at night ;-)

Glad to know it's normal though!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
bpure8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another mama.. With a 14 month old, who's going through the same thing. My LO likes to nurse to sleep then use my breast as a pillow! Not the most comfortable thing while fighting mastitis ATM but we improvise. It's a skin to skin contact thing.

GL mama. I know it's hard to see this far ahead but your going to miss the days when your LO/s don't want to snuggle into you at night. Try to cherish them while you can
Old 04-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphinium View Post
Yes totally normal. My two were the same and I know lots of women in real life and online who experienced same. Babies between the age of 12 mos and 18 mos are very, very difficult to wean. Have you read Mothering your nursing toddler? Really good book on the topic. You could probably find it at a library or your local la leche league might have a lending copy. Or buy one! It is the best resource for how to deal with nursing toddlers, when and how to wean them, and support for nursing them so long. It will make you feel better.

By the way, my oldest nursed for 30 mos and my youngest is still nursing at 33 mos.
GREAT book!!!

Yup, totally normal! My 21 month old did/does that! He's just know getting to where he nurses maybe 2-3x a night. More if he's sick or teething. Which I expect to increase again being close to 2nd year molar time!

He loves snuggling up close too I've noticed though that the older he gets, he'll just latch on and nurse many times and I sleep right through. I'll wake up and he's right against me using my breast as a pillow!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
Chey
Banned

My Mood:

My almost 9 months old is the same. I can tell that weaning him is not going to happen any time soon. I was starting to supplement with formula a bit and I think he figured it out because now he refuses the bottle (was taking pumped milk in one for 7 months) and will only nurse now.

He's also a nipple twiddler, he likes to play and flick it with his finger. When I nurse, often he will be done but still stay latched on and I will try to take him off and he tenses right up and pulls towards me as hard as he can so I can't unlatch him.

Goofy kid.
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote