Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2006, 06:42 AM   #21
daisybaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Who else makes their own dipes?

I've just recently started making mine and love it! And now I get to make newborn boy diapers to go along with my girly diapers, so I get the best of both worlds.

For those looking for great deals on diaper fabric, go to yahoo groups and search diaper fabrics and you'll find all kinds. I'm a member of several groups and get awesome prices on fleece, hemp, birdseye, knit, etc., as well as non-diaper related stuff. You can get polymailers, drawstring bags, and other stuff.

Advertisement

daisybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:09 AM   #22
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madalexsmom
I tried last week to make a diaper ~ it was so funny!! I've heard a lot of people say that they tore a favorite diape apart to use it for inspiration but I love my diapes so there was no way that was happening. I kind of just guessed it and while it looked like a diaper I'm certain it wouldn't be a very good one. I did get a good laugh but that was hard work with no reward What type of elastic does everyone use? That was my main issue.
I never tore any fav. dipe of mine apart and also always just guessed, copied their pattern, modified etc.
I'm sorry yours didn't turn out. (((Hugs)))
I use stretchrite elastic or washable polyester elastic which I buy at WM. Both 3/8".

Heather,
I love the purple velour one! So yummy!!!

Kellie,
yeah, show us some pics!

Daisybaby,
that's the best, being able to make both now, girly and boy-ish dipes! Too bad my DD isn't in dipes anymore! LOL

Since we're talking about making dipes:

Could somebody please tell me what you're all doing w/BKT for example? Could I make my own pocket inserts with it? Maybe paired w/microfiber?

Also, what's the difference between hemp fleece and and other hemp fabrics? I'm a bit confused! LOL
Old 04-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #23
Bugaboo Bottoms
In a HUGE Pile of Wool!
seller

My Mood:

These are my first three...they all have navy PUL outer. Two (small and large) have suedecloth inner and one has microfleece. These ran a little small and my size large boy has already grown out of them. Hopefully the little one will fit the new baby! I have big babies though!
http://members.sparedollar.com/kdnic...bluedipes1.jpg
http://members.sparedollar.com/kdnic...bluedipes2.jpg

Then I made these, both size large. They have flannel outer over PUL and don't fit so I don't know if they will wick or not.

http://members.sparedollar.com/kdnic.../thompooh1.jpg
http://members.sparedollar.com/kdnic.../thompooh2.jpg

These are the pockets I made. The small one has gussets which I am hoping will be great for those lovely NB poos. These are both pockets...the ones above are all AIO's.

http://members.sparedollar.com/kdnic...ocketdipes.jpg
http://members.sparedollar.com/kdnic...cketdipes2.jpg

I have made two more like the large pocket, but don't have pics.

None of these are very exciting, but the ones I've used do work great, and I'm proud that I did them myself and they work! I'm waiting on some more "exciting" PUL from the co-op I belong to so I can make much cooler dipes.
Bugaboo Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:26 AM   #24
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for sharing, Kellie!
I never dared making anything w/PUL and especially not w/FOE.
Here's the link to my dipes I've made. A few I already deleted unfortunately after I sold them..
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...h/Self%20made/
Old 04-25-2006, 08:20 AM   #25
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love making my own diapers Of course I love buying diapers too. It's just an extension to my addiction I started out making my own because DH was snap-challenged so he needed aplix or tt. I loved making them so much I just had to share them (Ok so I was addicted to making them)
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:44 AM   #26
aschrimp
Registered Users

I just started making my own, because we wanted something easy to leave with a sitter other than my mom, so we could go out sometime (still only dreaming there). I think I *must* be the only one in the world to feel this way, but I really don't like pockets! Also, ds has a VERY long torso (and short little legs), so he needs a really high rise diaper. Even FB Larges are a little short on him. The AIOs that I bought to try out could never contain a poo - he has an inch or two of crack peeking out of all of them, except for the ones that are so big he could fit a second leg through the leg hole!

I got flannel and fleece from joanns to mess aorund with while I was working out my pattern. It cost about the same, but I didn't want to "waste" good materials on test diapers. Now I use fabric from co-ops (here & various yahoo groups co-ops) pretty much exclusively. Some co-ops are faster than others. I have been waiting for aplix and foe from one for some time now, it can be a big frusterating when you need something quickly. But it is sure less expensive than OSDS, esp if you plan on doing a lot of sewing.

I have just started to do little fleece appliques on the bums of some of his diapers - I am loving it. DH just rolls his eyes - he said the other night that in the time I spent doing the applique, I could have sewn another diaper. But it wouldn't have been near as fun! I need to get a hold of more variety in fleece scraps to do really good appliques, though...right now my colors are limited.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote