Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
zoelife
Registered Users

weaning

not sure if i am posting this in the right place...im still kinda new...lol

anyway, we are thinking about weaning DS in the upcoming months and i am kinda having mixed feelings...he is 6 1/2 months and we wanted to start weaning aroun 8-9 months as we want to try and get prego again. i want my kinds to be close in age and i figured it would take a few weeks to wean and then to actually get my period to return and get prego again.

i am kinda nervous that DS will not "need" me as much as he does and that he will start liking other people better because they can give him the things that he needs as well...i know this may sound immature or selfish, but i dont care haha he is my first born and i dont want him to like other people more than me

Advertisement

zoelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:
Re: weaning

There is actually a dedicated BFing forum here with a weaning subforum. You don't have to wean to get pregnant, lots of people have gotten pregnant while BFing (me included) and don't worry, your baby won't like other people more than you.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
zoelife
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM Cloth View Post
There is actually a dedicated BFing forum here with a weaning subforum. You don't have to wean to get pregnant, lots of people have gotten pregnant while BFing (me included) and don't worry, your baby won't like other people more than you.
thanks! im still trying to find everythiong around here
Old 03-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

i'm sure a supermod will move this anyway so i'll post. i breastfed all three girls and got my period back at 9months, 10months, and 12months respectively. could have gotten pregnant then i'm sure if i had wanted to. and they weaned around their second birthdays. so getting pregnant doesn't have to mean cutting short the nursing time of the older one. if you are weaning becaus eyou want to wean, that's one thing. if you are weaning to get pregnant, don't do it! you don't have to!
Old 03-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got pg while nursing too
Old 03-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
zoelife
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryGnomeHome View Post
i'm sure a supermod will move this anyway so i'll post. i breastfed all three girls and got my period back at 9months, 10months, and 12months respectively. could have gotten pregnant then i'm sure if i had wanted to. and they weaned around their second birthdays. so getting pregnant doesn't have to mean cutting short the nursing time of the older one. if you are weaning becaus eyou want to wean, that's one thing. if you are weaning to get pregnant, don't do it! you don't have to!

thanks! i am just worried that i will not end up getting my period back and then having too much spacing in between our kids...DS doesn seem over extatic about BFing...he does, but he isnt a total boob baby...i still enjoy it okay, but i am about ready to be done i think..maybe around 9 monthsish
Old 03-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoelife View Post
thanks! i am just worried that i will not end up getting my period back and then having too much spacing in between our kids...DS doesn seem over extatic about BFing...he does, but he isnt a total boob baby...i still enjoy it okay, but i am about ready to be done i think..maybe around 9 monthsish
I got my cycle back at 15 months. Typically it's before the second year mark. Also, you don't have to have a cycle to get pregnant while nursing either. You can still ovulate. I'd get some OPK to see.

Also, just a question. Why wean by 9 months anyway, just to put him on formula? Babies need at minimum one year breastmilk or formula. A FF mother wouldn't weant at 9 months to go to whole milk.

I'd personally keep nursing until at least a year. In the grand scheme of things, a few more months will seem like nothing
Old 03-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
MamaNotes
Registered Users

My Mood:

I got pregnant while nursing and continue to nurse for a month after I found out. I then decided to stop but I know many moms who continue to nurse late into their pregnancy.

It was important to me to breastfeed for 1 year. We reached that milestone (plus a couple weeks) and I'm very proud of us! I didn't think we could do it at 9 months (even at 6 weeks when I wanted to give up) but we did and you can too if you want!
MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was exclusively nursing my son and got my period back when he was 8 months old....it was regular from that point on. You definitely don't have to wean him in order to get pregnant. Also, I would be very careful about weaning him unless you know for sure that he will take bottled formula....since he would have to have formula until he reaches 12 months old. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
zoelife
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
I got my cycle back at 15 months. Typically it's before the second year mark. Also, you don't have to have a cycle to get pregnant while nursing either. You can still ovulate. I'd get some OPK to see.

Also, just a question. Why wean by 9 months anyway, just to put him on formula? Babies need at minimum one year breastmilk or formula. A FF mother wouldn't weant at 9 months to go to whole milk.

I'd personally keep nursing until at least a year. In the grand scheme of things, a few more months will seem like nothing
thanks for the info...i didnt mean to wean totally i just meant to wean from BFing