Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
bubblesteach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Someone please explain to me about ECing. I don't understand?

I'm interested in learning about Elimination Control. It sounds very interesting but I don't really understand how anyone gets anything done around the house. Wouldn't your children be peeing and pooing everywhere. It sounds like a really great way to get them potty trained but I'd like to know more. Thanks

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
evilynmo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Someone please explain to me about ECing. I don't understand?

Old 02-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i think its called elimination communication. and my understanding of it is you learn your baby's signs/cues for when s/he has to use the potty, and then you help him/her. this can be done from the first days of life. just like you learn your baby's cues for hunger or need for comfort, you can learn when they need to 'go'. many cultures around the world do not use diapers, but it is a newer idea to us in the western world.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:05 PM   #4
kochanyk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did it part time w/DS 1 & I do w/DS 2 also (part time). It's called Elimination Communication or some call it "Diaper Free". It's all about reading your child's cues. You start after 6 wks but there are natural opportune times too. Basically it's like this- at 4 mos I noticed that DS1 was babbling like mad then silent- this was a poop cue- so rather than "training him to go in his dipe" (EC belief is that children naturally do NOT want to eliminate on themselves you train to diapers) I took him to the potty! Some people use a potty pail or little potty, but we just sat him on the toilet backwards. DS2 gets a look & grunts when he has to poop- so why change a poopy dipe when I can hold him over the toilet, kwim? DS1 would freeze when he had to pee & sometimes grab his parts- so I'd take him to pee. We were more successful to poop than pee- but at 18 mos he decided he was a big boy & would go on his own & we packed up the dipes that day.
For us, we live in San Diego, & it's warm most the time & I strongly believe in naked time for kids... so when the kids are nekkie I started noticing their cues & taking them to the bathroom. There's lots of good info & links at mothering foriums under dipe section

BTW, we never did sounds but most people do & you can cue your baby it's time to go . Both my kids see the potty & they just go

Last edited by kochanyk; 02-04-2007 at 07:09 PM.
kochanyk is offline   Reply With Quote