Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2017, 02:26 PM   #1
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Blood in Stool... Dr. wants me to stop breastfeeding

Hello. My son is almost three months old and up to this point has been EBF. 2 weeks ago he got RSV and with that got an ear infection. He did 10 days of Amoxicillin. One day around day 5 of the antibiotics he had a little streak of red/pink blood in his stool and then it went away. He's been off the antibiotics for a couple of days now, and the last few days has had little streaks of blood in almost every stool. They have also been greenish and mucousy. Some are more normal in color than others.

My pediatrician seems to think that my son has an allergy to something in my breastmilk and would like him to go on hypoallergenic formula. I am very pro-breastfeeding, but am of course even more pro-my son's health. However, I feel like we are jumping the gun here. I would think that we would test him for allergies (can this be done on a 3 month old?), and then I would try an elimination diet, regardless of the allergy tests. If these things fail, I would pump and freeze while we try him out on the hypoallergenic formula... which just makes me cry to even think about.

I am feeling so sad. Has anyone experienced this? Of course his health comes first, but it just feels counterintuitive. Please tell me your stories and experiences... Have you had any experiences like this after antibiotics? Have you tried an elimination diet with success/failure? Did your infant have any allergy tests? Did hypoallergenic formula help you?

Any thoughts are welcome. I posted on LLLI as well, but this site is a little more moderate.

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
shanisep
Registered Users
seller

Re: Blood in Stool... Dr. wants me to stop breastfeeding

Did he ever have blood in his stool any time before the antibiotics were started? Seems really weird that your milk or anything you eat are the problem if this is only starting now. I've never experienced this, but thought I'd throw my thoughts out there.
shanisep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanisep View Post
Did he ever have blood in his stool any time before the antibiotics were started? Seems really weird that your milk or anything you eat are the problem if this is only starting now. I've never experienced this, but thought I'd throw my thoughts out there.
He did one time around 6 weeks old. In three months that is the only time, and the doctor said it was nothing to worry about.

I will also add that he is gaining weight at a furious pace and is 16 pounds, which puts him in the 99th percentile, right where he started (born 9 pounds 10 ounces).
Old 03-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #4
shanisep
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like he's thriving on your milk to me!! I don't claim to have all of the answers, but usually when a baby can't tolerate mom's milk or something in it, they don't gain weight well or have other problems like colic, gas, spitting up, etc. In my opinion, the problem is not your milk. I'd get a second opinion!
shanisep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #5
andunc02
Registered Users

My Mood:

I hope your able to find a solution and I second a second opinion. My LO had green mucousy poop for awhile beginning about 8 weeks. I ended up doing a whole 30 a month later and his poop went back to being yellow. I was able to reintroduce everything back into my diet and he didn't react to anything. I think the month allowed his digestive system to mature and reset so that whatever he was reacting too didn't bother him anymore.

I will also say that my LO was on a low dose antibiotic to prevent UTIs.
andunc02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:06 AM   #6
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by andunc02 View Post
I hope your able to find a solution and I second a second opinion. My LO had green mucousy poop for awhile beginning about 8 weeks. I ended up doing a whole 30 a month later and his poop went back to being yellow. I was able to reintroduce everything back into my diet and he didn't react to anything. I think the month allowed his digestive system to mature and reset so that whatever he was reacting too didn't bother him anymore.

I will also say that my LO was on a low dose antibiotic to prevent UTIs.
A Whole 30 is a good idea. I'm wondering if his intestinal system is messed up from the antibiotics and is just sensitive to anything right now. I think I will give it a try... good for me too. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #7
linem24
Registered Users

Unfortunately, doctors seem to go to "quit bfing" for every single medical thing that could go wrong... You may want to consider asking friends for recommendations for a supportive bfing doc.
The most valuable lesson I have learned: you have options!! My friend had something similar happen and babe did end up being allergic to something in her milk. But instead of quitting, she was told to eliminate all the common allergy things (like milk, nuts, others?--this is hard but doable). If the poo improves, you know what you're up against and can start adding one thing back in at a time to your diet to see which thing it is. It can be more than one...
If poo doesn't improve, you could still try the special formula later. You could even keep pumping in case the formula doesn't solve it. What if you give up bfing and that's not the cause!? I wouldn't jump to the formula first unless you don't want to bf. Your babe will miss out on a lot of great nutrition and that special formula is going to be the expensive kind!
You could also reverse the timing and try the hypoallergenic formula and just pump your milk for a bit to see if the formula does help. Again, this would just confirm allergy. This is kind of "advanced level" because you need to be able to pump well enough to keep up your supply (pumping is a skill in itself) and babe needs to remember how to suck. Some bottles are better for this but it's better to keep having them suckle some to keep remembering how, and in this scenario, you couldn't.
linem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

I have had babies on antibiotics before and was told to sprinkle half a capsule of acidophilus on a spoonful of food they're eating. Antibiotics really messes up their digestive system and their poop. It kills the good bacteria along with the bad.

I've also had babies that didn't do well with me eating dairy, and one with pork. It makes a huge difference if you can find the triggering foods to eliminate. But mine would cry bloody murder, or puke the hugest puke shot across the floor....it was more than just odd poop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk