Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #1
Panko
Registered Users
seller

Breastfeed through teeth?

My baby is starting to grow teeth, I do not want to stop breastfeeding. What if he bites me?

Advertisement

Panko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeed through teeth?

You can still nurse when your baby gets teeth. If they're latching correctly, you shouldn't feel the teeth. Make sure they're getting a good, big latch. Many babies will try out biting and you have to make sure you nip that in the bud so that they don't continue to do it. I try not to have a reaction that could be considered funny by my baby. I say, "No biting!" And then take them off the nipple for a few minutes. They will learn that if they bite, they don't get milk then. Good luck!
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #3
LaurenAppenzeller
Registered Users
seller

Mine never did, the way they suck their teeth don't really matter or hurt once they com in. If they do bite you you're supposed to end the breastfeeding session and not really react, from what I've read, then they associate biting with not being able to nurse.
LaurenAppenzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
Panko
Registered Users
seller

Thanks, that is very helpful. This little man is just so small, I was not shire he will associate.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

As above. Also, it may be uncomfortable for about the first two weeks of each new tooth set coming in, but don't give up it'll go back to being painless.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:00 PM   #6
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbie View Post
You can still nurse when your baby gets teeth. If they're latching correctly, you shouldn't feel the teeth. Make sure they're getting a good, big latch. Many babies will try out biting and you have to make sure you nip that in the bud so that they don't continue to do it. I try not to have a reaction that could be considered funny by my baby. I say, "No biting!" And then take them off the nipple for a few minutes. They will learn that if they bite, they don't get milk then. Good luck!
This.
karlitacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:50 PM   #7
dawnmark83
Registered Users

I stopped nursing my older son once he got teeth because in was scared. I am hoping to make it work with this baby boy. So glad to have other moms to talk to about this. Most of my mom friends formula feed.
dawnmark83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:21 AM   #8
Stouffers3
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'm nursing baby #4 right now. He got his first for teeth all at once about a month ago. I can't even tell the difference
Bruce (12/09, born at 33 weeks), MC 01/14 Missing my Angel
Oliver (04/01/15 our Rainbow )
MTHFR, Fibromyalgia
Stouffers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #9
Panko
Registered Users
seller

That would be nice.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:00 PM   #10
MommyTephanie
Registered Users
seller

With each of my 3 littles, breastfeeding with teeth was different- but my reaction stayed the same and we all made it through! For my oldest son (2nd child I BF), he had teeth at 3.5 months and I was planning to nurse until a year so I pulled him off whenever he bit and he eventually figured It out. He was young so it took months of consistency until he didn't bite me anymore. You just need to stay the course! I would also say firmly "NO BITING!" and tap his lips so he associated the two. As a toddler he began to bite again and we followed the same route.

I think with most babies they will learn after a few times, but some are predisposed to bite (oral fixation or something sensory related) and so they take more persistence.
MommyTephanie is offline   Reply With Quote