Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #1
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Pumping While Breastfeeding?

If you do it, how do you do it? I'm pregnant with my fourth, and I've never made it to a year exclusively breastfeeding. I'm determined to do it this time. It will help me if I have a nice freezer stash when I return to work. Mornings is always the best time for me to pump extra, and I know that once the baby starts going longer stretches at night I could easily feed on one side only. Previously, I have fed on both sides and then pumped both sides half an hour later, but I feel like this will be much more efficient.

Any tips? I have read that people do it hands free by cutting a big hole in a sports bra for the breastfeeding side and a smaller hole for the pumping side (and then turning it inside out to switch sides the next day), which seemed like a pretty genius idea. I have a boppy, so I'm assuming that will help too. Do you have to lean forward or sit really awkwardly to do it though?

I would appreciate any tips you mamas may have!

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #2
dancingriss
Registered Users

Re: Pumping While Breastfeeding?

I like to pump while I'm feeding since he can be satisfied on just one side. That way I'm getting all the benefits of holding him, smelling him, etc. while pumping. I have a handsfree bra that I use, but I think the homemade pumping bra would work just as fine. Although, I've heard they sometimes aren't strong enough to hold a full bottle.

I bought Pumpin' Pal Super Shields recently from amazon, and they are BRILLIANT. No more leaning forward! Just be careful when you detach the bottle as any leftover drops will immediately flow out. Best not to do it over the bed like I did!
dancingriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
Theirmamma0810
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingriss View Post
I like to pump while I'm feeding since he can be satisfied on just one side. That way I'm getting all the benefits of holding him, smelling him, etc. while pumping. I have a handsfree bra that I use, but I think the homemade pumping bra would work just as fine. Although, I've heard they sometimes aren't strong enough to hold a full bottle.

I bought Pumpin' Pal Super Shields recently from amazon, and they are BRILLIANT. No more leaning forward! Just be careful when you detach the bottle as any leftover drops will immediately flow out. Best not to do it over the bed like I did!
Pumping while feeding is a great idea. I never even considered that!
Theirmamma0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the input. I definitely need to try out the pumpin pals... They would be great in the car too.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #5
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had good luck pumping while feeding, I found I was able to pump more and the milk letdown sooner. I only used standard nursing bras and would hold the flange in place (with support from the bra) while pumping and then set it on the side table when done and dealt with it afterward.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #6
jenslp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just started doing this since my baby only drinks from one side each feeding and I can pump on the other. I just do it once a day in the morning since I only want enough to let someone else feed him once a day. So I let him nurse on one side while on my Brest Friend pillow and I pump on the other side. I tried the Ameda electric pump I got for free but didn't like it as much as a simple manual Avent pump. I only used the electric one once so I guess I may sell it or something. I think if I were double pumping to go back to work I would stick with the electric though. Good luck!
jenslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #7
luluanth
Registered Users
seller

I have always pumped one side while nursing on the other side. If baby still seemed a little hungry I would then let baby nurse on the side I just pimped. Baby can always get out more milk that the pump left behind. I did this every feeding besides through the night and had 2 big deep freezers full of milk. I started this routine when my milk came in cause this is the time when your body is regulating how much milk you need to make based on supply and demand
luluanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #8
every.tribe78
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh wow. That sports bra idea is genius! I would have never thought of that!
Jessica
every.tribe78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #9
Dani303
Registered Users
seller

Not sure how big a stash you want and how much time you have, but I built mine up 2-3 oz. at a time every morning on one side while breastfeeding on the other side. Baby stimulating letdown plus first feed of the day helped me pump the most. Did it with my regular flange breast pump and held awkwardly, then I found this cool silicone squeeze pump thing on Amazon.

Look up "Haakaa Silicone Manual Breastpump". It's a weird one piece thing that works by suction. One squeeze then let it do its thing. Collected 2-3oz. quickly, but couldn't letdown for it on my own so only worked while feeding on the other side. Small, easy to clean, no tubes, keep on nightstand ready for first morning feed. You'll still want your regular pump for work, but I loved it for building my stash in the mornings! It stays on by suction most of the time, but I kept a finger on it just to make sure it never popped off. I stopped once I started work since I didn't need a huge stash, and I just cycle through and replenish what I built originally. If I kept up with it I could have easily built/kept growing a huge stash.

Oh, and also starting while milk is still regulating like someone else said helps a lot. I had an oversupply at first so it was really easy to pump extra and keep the demand for it going.

Last edited by Dani303; 01-18-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Dani303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #10
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

I've been doing this since my baby was born a month ago. I pump on one side first thing in the morning while he nurses and then again on the other side while he nurses later in the day... usually after he takes a longer nap so I'm a bit more full on both sides. I am still only feeding on one side at a time at this point, so I haven't had any issues with him complaining about lack of milk. I'm storing 8-10 ounces a day doing this - largely because I started as soon as my milk came in so I have oversupply built up.

I find this method of pumping and storing MUCH easier than any other I have tried with previous children. I let down immediately because he is nursing on the other side and I don't have to spend extra time pumping and trying to entertain a baby at the same time!

As an FYI, I am using a Spectra pump and it is great.