Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How to get rid of ammonia smell? Help!

My Flip stay dry inserts have been smelling like ammonia really bad. I have tried soaking in my Crunchy Clean and stripping with dawn and they smell fine out of the dryer but once they are peed in it is ammonia city! I have heard vinegar is best for ammonia since its acid vs. base, is that what I should do? Please explain the full wash cycle (how long, how much vinegar, do I follow vinegar with detergent, everything I need to know start to finish!) for a small load of microfiber inserts. Thanks!!

Advertisement

Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
lkbrown
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question Re: How to get rid of ammonia smell? Help!

I have been having the same problem and wondering what to do, and for me it's only certain diapers not all. They are fine once washed but as soon as the pee hits it, it's horrible. HELP
lkbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
shad1radog
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to get rid of ammonia smell? Help!

What I did when I was just using pockets with microfiber inserts was this. I put all of the mf inserts in the washer machine (no covers/pockets) and filled the washer with water (I have a top loader). I just put enough water in there that they were covered. Then I put a generous splash of vinegar, let the machine agitate for about 20-30 seconds. Then I stopped it and let it soak for about 30 minutes. Then I let it agitate and spin out. After all of that, then I did a regular wash cycle with the pockets thrown in there. This has worked fine for me!

However...I wanted a better answer. Especially now because I'm using some AIOs so I can soak them in vinegar like that (don't want the PUL/elastic soaking in vinegar). I believe I have found my answer! Thirsties Pre-Wash. My son's diapers were starting to smell a little so I ordered in some prewash and gave it a try. Voila! The smell is GONE! I'm STOKED!!!!
Megan - Surrounded by boys! Wife to Alberto and Mommy to: Ethan (2.26.06), Joseph (10.1.07), Jeremiah (6.21.09) and Tito (1.7.12) Forever remembering my girls, MoMo twins, Stephanie and Kinsay (1.25.11)
shad1radog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
avasmom3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had this same problem and nothing really helped ( and I mean NOTHING) except for
1/4 cup bleach in the wash with my inserts. I then rinsed, and rinsed, and rinsed, and rinsed some more. And when they came out, they were as good as new. It was probably a combo of the bleach and the excessive rinsing that fixed mine. HTH!!!
avasmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

Momma try soaking them overnight in a bucket of lysol disinfectant. Then rinse, rinse, rinse. This is what I do with used stuff that comes to me stinky, and it always works. Please don't resort to soaking your stuff in peracetic acid...i.e. vinegar mixed with oxyclean... I am sure someone will suggest it, but it is a highly caustic mixture. Once you've rid yourself of the stink, get in the habit of rinsing overnight dipes before throwing them in the pail.
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe I'll try bleach first and see if that helps since I don't have any Lysol. If bleach doesn't work then I'll try that. Still curious about vinegar though!
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
MiaAnjuli
Registered Users
seller

I would use some RLR to strip them and if that doesn't work I would try bleach on the inserts. Good luck
MiaAnjuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
Liam'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've recently had luck doing a wash with about a 1/2 cup of lemon juice added. I did an extra rinse to ensure no lemon juice was left behind. I had a batch of dipes recently that didn't respond to the lemon juice as completely as I'd liked. I washed them again but put some vinegar in the rinse cycle. Again, I did an extra rinse. Did the trick for me.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
PiecesOfKate
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just stripped mine with RLR last week and it did the trick.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:55 AM   #10
MommaPierce
Registered Users
seller

Location: Born and raised in sunny Florida, currently in Ft Lewis Wa, forever wherever the army sends us....
My Mood:

I got some stinky dipes once and this is what I did: (I have since sworn off microfiber because I have found it to be rather stinky unless you completely jump through hoops to make it not stink, and have NEVER had a problem with anything else)

1: Fill your washer to the HOTTEST water possible, and the highest level possible, I also added 2 large pots full of boiling water.

2: Depending on load size, put either a cup or a half cup of vinegar. I had a pretty decent size load, so I used a cup.

3: Add the dipes (or just inserts, I only put anything that had a material other than PUL, didn't put any solid PUL covers)

4: I let the washer agitate for about 5 minutes to let everything get good and mixed and then turned it off

5: Let sit for 30-45 minutes

6: Turn back on and let the cycle run through

7: After the cycle ran through, I did a cold rinse cycle 5 times through.

8: Just need to add, I did this routine on clean diapers (already went through my regular wash cycle) so I didnt feel the need to do another wash cycle with detergent afterwards.

I used the diapers after this routine with no issues for a while and then went on my MF swear off and sold everything containing such. I never had another issue and have not received any complaints from my customers who purchased them either.

Hope this helps!

Nathan Conner 11/17/11 9 pounds 5 ounces 22 inches long
Hayden Taylor 08/23/09 8 pounds 15 ounces 22 1/2 inches long

And... my family is complete!
MommaPierce is offline   Reply With Quote