Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
ninaroxanne
Registered Users

Stinky Diapers!

I recently bought some used diapers.. that woman said they had been used for a while.. but they still smelt wonderful when I got them.

I'm jealous.. my diapers don't smell great. We've only been diapering for about 3-4 months now but I want them to smell better. Morning diapers just smell awful now & I've heard that means they need stripping..

we have stinky diapers! :upset

They aren't leaky.. they just don't smell so fresh anymore. Seems I can never get them to smell like they use to.

I went to this website
http://www.zany-zebra.com/stripping-cloth-diapers.shtml

My husband just went to the store & bought
baking soda, white vinegar, oxiclean, & seventh generation safe on colors bleach (which says last resort)

I'm not sure if we have hard water here or not...
We have HE front loader washer & dryer

I soaked ALL of the diapers in the tub last night with hot water & let them sit.

I'm not sure what to do.. I havent used any of the products we bought yet.. Any advice on which would work best?

Advertisement

ninaroxanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
adydorsett
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Stinky Diapers!

my diapers often smell in the morning as well! i know mine dont need stripping since they are only about a month old...would love to hear tips! maybe i am not using enough detergent...i've read to only use half a scoop per load...any suggestions for me as well?? thanks!
adydorsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
Johnnysmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have a front-loader, too. It's nice for other clothes but I don't like it for dipes! My machine has a "self clean" cycle, and I put bleach in it and it runs on hot. There are lots of bubbles that show up in the cycle.

We use Country Save (a diaper friendly detergent) on all of our laundry, and yet there is still build-up. I also think we have really hard water.

So I run the clean cycle once a month or so, and after that I also sometimes strip the diapers.

Your smelling issue might just be detergent build up.

Try to clean out the washer and watch for bubbles. Do you use detergent on your regular clothes that isn't diaper-friendly? Or perhaps fabric softener on other loads?

Softener can get onto your diapers and cause smelling and leaking issues, too.

I hope you can get to the bottom of it!
Johnnysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
Shawna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You might want to post questions here

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...splay.php?f=10

you will get mote responses

Ecomom deal from plum district.
Shawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use Tide original, oxyclean and vinegar for the diapers and I have never had a stink issue with these.. Good luck!!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaroxanne View Post
I recently bought some used diapers.. that woman said they had been used for a while.. but they still smelt wonderful when I got them.

I'm jealous.. my diapers don't smell great. We've only been diapering for about 3-4 months now but I want them to smell better. Morning diapers just smell awful now & I've heard that means they need stripping..

we have stinky diapers! :upset

They aren't leaky.. they just don't smell so fresh anymore. Seems I can never get them to smell like they use to.

I went to this website
http://www.zany-zebra.com/stripping-cloth-diapers.shtml

My husband just went to the store & bought
baking soda, white vinegar, oxiclean, & seventh generation safe on colors bleach (which says last resort)

I'm not sure if we have hard water here or not...
We have HE front loader washer & dryer

I soaked ALL of the diapers in the tub last night with hot water & let them sit.

I'm not sure what to do.. I havent used any of the products we bought yet.. Any advice on which would work best?
This is how I strip....I have HE FL and use pocket dipes. Maybe every few months NOT EVERY WASH. I have "in between" water.

I would put a full scoop of oxiclean in the tub of your washer, add the clean diapers and select the hottest setting (if u have a toddler and have turned down your water heater turn it up about an hr before you wash). Pick the wash cycle with the most water....."powerwash" or "whites" is what most people have. If you can add hot water through the detergent drawer (I use a clean gallon milk jug) that would be even better.....if possible add 2-3 gal of water.....let the machine sit for 30-60 min, then turn the cycle on. Follow with a rinse and check for bubbles.....if u have bubbles....keep rinsing until they r gone. I have in the past had to rinse(run a wash with just water) 3 times or more to get rid of bubbles and it makes a difference. Since u rnt sure what kind of water u have I would try oxi before the vinegar. I would also consider a squirt of Dawn blue dishsoap before using a lot of vinegar if you don't know ur water type......rinse as I described.....repeat until no bubbles and try to add extra water to your washer if u don't have a water selection level (my FL is 9 yrs old I don't have one) HTH
MomdeIsla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
snickerball
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a front loader and use Gain and Downey for all of my loads except the diapers. It's an addiction, I love the smell! Will that ruin my diapers even if I'm not using it for the actual diaper loads? Also, I didn't think you could use Oxiclean on the Gro-Baby and Gro-Via products. I know you can't use anything with enzymes so how would you remove build up or stink from them? Thanks.
snickerball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
erica3543
Registered Users

My Mood:

try rockin green detergent
erica3543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
ninaroxanne
Registered Users