Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
lulu1326
Registered Users

First mom to be and a bit panicked

Okay so the more i read the more it seems that no one can really give me a straight answer about cloth diapering. I'm getting really close to my due date and i just need help figuring this all out. I know I want to do this and stick with it for my child, the environment and my wallet. I don't want to get overwhelmed and wind up using disposables. What is the cheapest and cleanest cloth diaper method and what is the easiest? I really need EASY and CLEAN. I'm willing to spend a little more if they are trully clean and easy, but still want to find something cheap. How often with the method will I need to do laundry and how many of them will I need to get started ? Little Flower will be here in OCT. and I honestly feel more unconfident about cloth diapers the closer i get to her arrival, it seems. I could really use some support here, no one I know does the clothe diaper thing and the one person i know who tried gave up. If anyone could help me out I would really be very grateful.

~ Lulu

Advertisement

Last edited by lulu1326; 07-02-2010 at 03:35 PM.
lulu1326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
doubleddog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: First mom to be and a bit panicked

I would get a nice high-quality pocket diaper or an all in 2. They are simple, clean easily, and dry fast. I started out with fitted diapers, pocket diapers, and all in one diapers and had to learn the hard way that the simpler they are, the better, especially in the beginning when you are exhausted and recovering from giving birth and other people may be changing baby some of the time to help give you a break. I'd recommend something with velcro too because new babies often don't handle diaper changes very well and it's an easy on, easy off closure.
Babywearing, CDing SAHM. I love my DH and my 3 sweet girls, looking forward to meeting team green baby #4 April 2013.
doubleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think the easiest, cheapest option is prefolds. They wash really clean in one cycle and are only $2-$3 a piece. Green Mountain prefolds (also known as cloth-eez) have great diapers and the have ALL the information you need! Here is what I would reccommend:

For a newborn -
3 dozen NB orange edge
6-8 NB covers

Then for next stage:
3 dozen SM yellow edge
6 covers

Then next stage:
2 1/2 dozen MED red edge
4-6 covers

And next:
2 dozen LRG brown edge
4 covers

This is a good routine if you want to wash every 2-3 days.

For accessories you'll need:

3-4 dozen cloth wipes (can also cut up old receiving blankets)
1 pail liner
1 wetbag
cloth wipes solution (optional - can use plain water, or add a drop of baby shampoo and baby oil to water)
Spray bottle for wipes solution or wet wipes container
CD safe diaper rash cream (I like CJs BUTTer www.cjssewingroom.com)
CD safe detergent (I like rockin green www.rockingreensoap.com)
Snappis or pins (optional - trifolding in cover is an easy option, snappis are the next easiest, I love them!)

I know all the info out there can be overwhelming, but this is an easy and effective way to CD. Again, check out www.greenmountaindiapers.com they have all the info you could ever need!!
Old 07-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
Crow Mountain Crafts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To be honest, every person you ask is going to have a different opinion of what is clean and easy.

Many moms love prefolds and covers for the ease of cleaning and use - others hate them because they look at prefolds as complicated.

Many love pockets, but other hate the idea of pulling out inserts and having to stuff them every single use.

I agree with the poster above me that prefolds and cover are the best, easiest, cleanest way to go. (I love the Flip system also because it works for all sizes and is still the same concept) My husband swears up and down by AIOs. He is in love with BG Organics and refuses to use anything else.

Good Luck mama!
Crow Mountain Crafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
bigfunbums
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know where in California you are, but if you are near the IE there is a free meetup group with a bunch of moms who cloth diaper who are willing to let you see what they use so you can decide what would work best for you and also provide support http://www.meetup.com/Cloth-Diapers-and-Baby-Carriers/
Personally I got 23 mandies menagerie small fitteds , 4 newborn proraps, 4 small proraps, 3 small dappis, and 4 wahm aios, everything but the AIOS was used and I did laundry every 2-3 days until my daughter was 3 months old when I needed to move up to mediums. For me it was cheap, easy, and I found a daycare provider willing to use them as long as she could tie them up in plastic bags and send them home for me to wash. My mom used gdiapers with flushable liners when my daughter stayed with her and I took them along when we went to Disneyland for the day, that's what worked for her but flushable liners are more expensive then disposables, they make cloth inserts now and the gdiaper covers were easy to use and wash so that might be worth looking into.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
mmeneely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my. We just went through this so I UNDERSTAND!

You want easy and brainless (because you will be brainless for at least 2 months!).

PREFOLDS and Bummis ORIGINAL covers.

3 dozen newborn and 6 covers. (They pee A LOT!)
3 dozen infant and 6 covers. (More bowel movements require more diapers!)

Prefolds dry in one dry cycle. Bummis Originals air dry in about 2hrs. You can rinse them out in the bathroom sink while you wash your hands and have them air-dried by 3 more diaper changes.

Fitteds - poo gets in the gathers, blah, blah, blah. Still requires a cover.
Pockets - okay but get expensive and overwhelming because there are 900 different brands.

Thirsties are nice but they are polyurethane and Bummis Originals are a breatheable nylon with mesh liner so you do not need pins or a snappi. Snappis - I don't know about thouse sharp teeth near a wee baby! I gave all mine away when I sold my NB stuff.
mmeneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #7
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

IMO pockets. They go on like disposables, they come off like disposables, , you just pull/shake out the insert just before they go in the diaper pail, and they wash up easily and dry quickly. Takes 20 minutes tops out of the dryer to stuff the inserts back in and stick them back on your change table and then they're ready to go. If you're willing to sacrifice a quick dry time for even more ease of use, then you can go with all in ones (AIO) and then you don't have the stuff/unstuff step.

Honestly not sure what you mean by clean - with every CDing solution you're going to have to shake/rinse poop off once they get beyond the exclusively breastfed stage. But every solution should contain the messes at least as well if not better than a disposable.

Cheapest? Well flats or prefolds are going to be the cheapest, but they're not anywhere near the easiest until you get the hang of it. But unless you get into exotic fabrics and have to get each and every diaper embroidered you're going to save money in the long run no matter what you do with cloth, especially if you use the diapers on more than one child.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:22 AM   #8
aprilmadison
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a little confused by the clean comment. You are going to have to deal with poop but if you wash them correctly they will get clean.

Go with prefolds and a wrap-style cover (like bummis wisper wrap). Then all you have to do is fold the prefold twice, place it in the wrap/cover, and put it on your child. You don't need pins or snappis. Once you get the hang of it, which I'm sure will happen within a week, they go on within seconds. Seriously about 5 seconds. I love prefolds and found they were the only thing to last. I purchased all different types of diapers for my twins and by my third kid they were ALL worn out accept for the prefolds. So I felt like I wasted a TON of money on pockets and AIOs only to have the elastic not hold up. Yes, you can get the elastic replaced, but really who wants to do that?!
Old 07-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
lulu1326
Registered Users

Okay so most people seem to agree that prefolds with covers are the way to go. Awesome, and just an FYI the cleanest comment was meant to address the issue of leaks! The one person I know who did cloth gave up because the it was everything she tried was sooo leaky (which to me translates in terms of cleanliness)! So, from what you guys have advised i will be looking into some Pockets and AIOs from a gently used provider to save funds and investing in some covers and prefolds. So, now my question is more what is the least leaky prefold/cover method you have used? Again I really appreciate all your advice! Also, I really love the looks of gdiapers I know one person said they had used them occasionally, just curious, how do they hold up?
lulu1326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
greenmom1979
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu1326 View Post
Okay so most people seem to agree that prefolds with covers are the way to go. Awesome, and just an FYI the cleanest comment was meant to address the issue of leaks! The one person I know who did cloth gave up because the it was everything she tried was sooo leaky (which to me translates in terms of cleanliness)! So, from what you guys have advised i will be looking into some Pockets and AIOs from a gently used provider to save funds and investing in some covers and prefolds. So, now my question is more what is the least leaky prefold/cover method you have used? Again I really appreciate all your advice! Also, I really love the looks of gdiapers I know one person said they had used them occasionally, just curious, how do they hold up?
Why not try one of the newborn "rental" programs that retailers have? Some have prefolds only, but others have a variety that they'll send. You'll spend a little money trying them out (varies from about $25+ once you have your deposit back), but you won't have sunk a bunch of $$ into something you don't like or won't use... Here are a few links (and disclaimer - I didn't do this, although wish I had, and have no preference on the retailers - just some I've come across while browsing): Be careful of the details, though, a lot of the returns give you store credit, or a reduced amount refund.
http://www.momsmilkboutique.com/ClothDiaperTrial.html
http://sweetbottomsbaby.com/catalog.htm?item=3
http://www.nellsnaturalbaby.com/Newb...ntal_p_15.htmlhttp://www.squishytushy.com/samplers...t-rental-p-992
Good luck!