Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:
Fever won't go down

DS spiked a fever this afternoon while visiting @ my sister's house. It was 101.5 so I ran to Kroger's, got him some Children's motrin and stripped him down to undies (this is about 4pm) by 5 it was up to 102.5 so I took him outside (probably 45-50 degrees outside) to cool off. by 6 it was up to 103.5 at which point we gave him a tepid bath. Both taking him outside & the bath did cool him down a little, but the lowest we could get was 100.9. At 10 I took his temp again, 103.7, gave him more motrin, now at 11 he is 102.9, down but not much. He is sleeping on the couch, wearing only a fitted diaper. What else can I do to get his fever down? At what point is the fever too high that I have to really start worrying? BTW he will be 3 this month.

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fever won't go down

For that age, I think it's 104 that is the "limit" to take them to the docs. But give it 24 hours with the medication. Try Tylenol/Motrin pass off... give him Motrin, then two hours later give him Tylenol, then two hours later motrin, then two hours later tylenol. cool compresses on the base of the neck and forhead can help too.

good luck and I hope he's feeling better real soon!
Old 02-04-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
lilmama2dsndd
seller

My Mood:

I can't do the alternating motrin/tylenol with him. He was born with slight liver damage due to prolonged exposure to amniotic fluid whilr I was preg with him. He had gastroschisis so his bowels, liver & part of his stomach were all exposed when he was born and the alternatin meds is hard on a LO's liver, my pedi even advised against it for my DD who was born healthy & fine. If it doesn't go down soon I am giving him an alchol sponge bath. I hate seeing him this miserable. He is still sleeping, but his breathing is labored and I know it is because of the fever. I wish 8 am would get here so I could call the pedi.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:38 PM   #4
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalynn View Post
I can't do the alternating motrin/tylenol with him. He was born with slight liver damage due to prolonged exposure to amniotic fluid whilr I was preg with him. He had gastroschisis so his bowels, liver & part of his stomach were all exposed when he was born and the alternatin meds is hard on a LO's liver, my pedi even advised against it for my DD who was born healthy & fine. If it doesn't go down soon I am giving him an alchol sponge bath. I hate seeing him this miserable. He is still sleeping, but his breathing is labored and I know it is because of the fever. I wish 8 am would get here so I could call the pedi.
is there a 24 hour place you can take him (I'm thinking urgent care type place)...

I was going to suggest the alcohol bath but that's alot of alcohol to be absorbed by the skin. what about ice bath?
Old 02-04-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
Colleeny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't panic! I have a family full of nurses, and I work in the hospital ..as a Pharm tech...

I can tell you that most healthy babies are still fine at 104 degree temps. No need for the ER. Once you get to the 105-106 mark then you can start to worry a bit. Small children have higher fever temps than adults. When an adult gets a fever, 104 is usually the emergency temp. But for babies and small children it is a bit of a higher threshold.

Keep watch on him and give him fluids as much as possible. Ice pops or whatever he will eat. Don't piggy back meds unless he is hovering at 104 or higher. Just give him motrin every 4-6 hours if he is not climbing past 104.

Keep rotating cool compresses from his forehead and even on his inner wrists to bring his fever down.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:36 PM   #6
Dawnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Amanda, I'm a Registered Nurse. A temp is your friend, not enemy. Our immune system raises our body temp in response to particular bacteria in an effort to kill the bacteria (each bacteria has a pretty specific temp range it can live in). Bringing down his temp is short circuiting his natural immune system. I won't say I wouldn't take him in, but because of whatever the infection is, not because of the fever. I agree with PP's that kids get higher temps...my dr says at 104-105 he wants to see them. Most docs now don't want you to even treat a temp unless you think it will make you feel better. Do not give the little guy an alcohol bath. It's not necessary and could make him have worse side effects. They are dangerous enough that they are against our hospital policy even if a Dr orders one. If someone's temp is so high that they are bordering brain damage range (and I'm talking 107-108) we pack their armpits and groin in ice bags.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:41 PM   #7
Colleeny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good advice nurse!
Old 02-04-2007, 11:44 PM   #8
lilmama2dsndd
seller

My Mood:

I wasn't going to submerge him in alcohol, just dampen a washrag with it and wipe him down, my mom always did that and it always worked and made us feel better. He woke up and I got him to eat 1/4 of an pedilyte freezer pop, then he nursed for about 15 min and fell back asleep. I did squirt some saline up his nose and had him blow everything out so he is breathing slightly better before he nursed. I just hate to see him this miserable, and I know he is because he only asks to nurse when he feels really really bad
Old 02-04-2007, 11:56 PM   #9
tresal
Registered Users

I must be really paranoid then. When my kids go above 102 I get nervous and call the dr or take them in. Course they only get that high when they have some sort of infection. (and they tend to have lower body temp's regularly- so when their temps get that high, I know something is going on)
I hope he feels better soon! Good luck!
Old 02-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #10
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i know it is hard to have a lo with a fever!! we have been dealing with it all weekend too!! just try to let it run its coure... i agree with no alcohol baths/wipes, because it can also cause chills which will actually make the fever go higher. a wierd remedy i just heard that supposedly works is to soak some paper towels in egg whites and then wrap them on your lo feet and then put socks on. check his temp about an hour later and if it is going down keep them on and then i think after 2 hours you might need to change them... maybe worth a try??? it is found at earthclinc.com if you want more info