Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
baby covering head with blanket?

This is probably a silly question, but my dd always covers her head with her blanket. All you see is the tip of her little curly hair! Even if I uncover her head she pulls it right back up! Do you think she is ok?

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2006, 03:02 PM   #2
4boys4me
Registered Users

Re: baby covering head with blanket?

That is how my oldest ds slept all the time. I have tons of pic.s of him like that,lol.. and the funny thing is if he didnt have a blanket to put on his head he would sleep under tables or anything he could be under,lol.. talk about silly,lol.. he is the only one of my kids that has done that though,lol.. so I would think imo, it is normal
Old 05-28-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
wmama
Registered Users
seller

I'm really nervous about SIDS, so I don't put a blanket (or anything else) in with my kids until they're a year old. If you need a blanket, you can place your baby with her feet against the foot of the crib (if she's in a crib), and tuck the blanket under the mattress so that it covers her just up to her chest. She shouldn't be able to pull it over her head that way. I've tried that when my kids were older (they sleep with me for the first 6-8 months or more), and it has worked fine. My new baby loves to fall asleep clasping some kind of cloth in his hands, so I may be up against this same problem when he gets to be older. Right now, I just remove it after he falls asleep.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have spent the last 17 yrs in childcare, and I have seen some do this. My baby who is almost a yr is obsessed with his Gymboree blankets!! the first thing he does is grab one and put it over his head. He also sleeps with it near him, and wont do without it. sometimes yes, he puts it over his head while sleeping. i just slip it off his face.
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

My babies like to have a blanket close to their faces too. The older 3 weren't like that so I don't know what the difference is but the twins really like it.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #6
MamaJo
Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Fox sleeps with his head under his pillow He's two though...

Taking a break to focus on God & family

MamaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 06:29 PM   #7
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DJ's always been a "burrower". Even as a newborn in the bassinet, he could get himself scooted around so that his face was buried in the side if there was nothing else available. When we cosleep, it's worse. He would dig and fight to get under me or dh or under our pillows or turn upside down so that he could get his head under the covers. He's almost 2 now and that's how we know when he's really ready to go to sleep. He'll lay in the bed and talk, sing, play, whatever forever...then all of a sudden, he'll roll over on his stomach, pick "his" pillow up and announce that he's going under the pillow...then he's out for the night. It used to worry me but over time I've given up...he's never gotten into a situation he can't get out of, even when he's managed to get underneath one of us, so I figure it's just one of his quirks.
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #8
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

I have a friend who both kids do this...they both cover their faces with their "burp rags" even though they are way too old for burping lol (they are 4 and 20 months)...one uses a prefold and the other a flat! They have both done it since birth!
Old 05-29-2006, 10:10 AM   #9
DakotasMommy
Registered Users

My son loves to have cloth close to his face too, and also loves the silky feel of the edging of some blankets. I bought some of the endging at walmart, and cut a small piece of flannel material (because its sooo soft) and attached the silky material to it. The piece is just a little bigger than my sons head, but definately not big enough for him to wrap himself in it, and thats what he uses to sleep. Since I made that, weve been sleeping much better. I also am a worry wart. I worry about sids all the time.
hth
Old 05-29-2006, 10:47 AM   #10
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe you can just make sure it's a really light weight recieving blanket or something rather and a thicker comfortor type blanket? Sounds like it's her little "thing" so maybe trying to make it safest is the best thing you can do.

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote