Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy dd got her cast off, but is walking funny...

like she still has it on actually it'll be off for a week come tomorrow and i'm kind of starting to worry dh told me to give it at least a full week before i bug the ortho office so i just thought i'd see if anybody else had experience with this and if it was normal. she was only walking for about a month or two before she got the cast on, had to wear it for a month, and has had it off for a week now

Advertisement

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
aimers0212
Registered Users
seller

Re: dd got her cast off, but is walking funny...

I would think it was normal. My DD was 9 mo old when she broke both bones right above her ankle (fell down the stairs). She was casted for 3 weeks. She wasn't walking yet but crawled and continued to pull herself up while she had her cast on. She didn't walk until 15 mo but every time she would pull up or walk behind something she would not put her foot flat that had been broken. She stood on her toes on that foot. I asked her pedi about it at her 12 mo appt and he messed with her foot and said that it felt fine but if she was still on her tip toe at 18 mo he wanted her to get physical therapy. Once she finally started walking at 15 mo she got better at putting that foot down but this was 6 mo later so it took her a long time. I'd give her some more time and see how she does.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She is probably just adjusting. She got used to it, now she has to get used to it not being there. If you feel like it isn't getting better, then definitely give them a ring, and they can tell you what to watch for if there's a problem. But having had my share of casts in my life, I can tell you, it takes a while to feel normal again! I can only imagine it's a lot harder when you're so little and not all that used to walking in the first place.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our Ortho said it would take about as long for him to start walking somewhat normally as he had his cast on(4 weeks). But even after that period, he still walked & ran at an odd caidence(you could here a different tempo with his shoes on the ground) for another month or so. And he took the longest to turn his leg back to straight(12 weeks altogether) since they cast it at a slight tippy toe & turned out angle so he could stand.

I worried too(that is normal!) Her leg & joints are stiff from not moving & she learned how to get along with the cast on. Now she has to relearn how to walk with it off. She'll get it! Promise!
Our Ortho said if my son wasn't 100% by 12 weeks, that then you worry about needing corrective braces to fix something. My guy took all 12 weeks but he made it!

Last edited by nakedbabytoes; 03-29-2010 at 01:54 PM.
nakedbabytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would call if you are worried. It is 99% probably normal, but at least you'll have peace of mind.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It took dd several weeks to start walking "normally" as opposed to like she was still wearing the cast when she broke her leg at 19 months. Call the office if you are worried but both the ortho and the nurse told me that this was normal and to give it at least 6 weeks (of steady improvement) since that was how long she had the cast on.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
catilina
Registered Users
seller

Sounds just like my DS at that age. He had a buckle fracture just above his ankle, and he walked with a limp for a *really* long time after getting his cast off. I can't remember how long it took for him to start walking normally again, but I do remember it took a lot longer than I expected, and I was concerned about it. Eventually he started putting his foot down all the way when walking, and all trace of a limp disappeared. Even after he stopped walking funny, he still babied that leg for a long time. He didn't run or jump as smoothly as his peers until quite a bit later than others his age, but now, at age 3 1/2, you wouldn't ever be able to tell he was ever any different. He walks, runs, jumps, climbs just like any 3 1/2 year old boy. Try not to worry.

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
catilina
Registered Users
seller

Forgot to say, you could call and find out how long is considered a "normal" adjustment period, and then you would know when to actually start worrying...

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
maddys_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy View Post

But having had my share of casts in my life, I can tell you, it takes a while to feel normal again! I can only imagine it's a lot harder when you're so little and not all that used to walking in the first place.
That is SO true! I've had a boot on my foot and leg for the last 6 weeks and have had it off for about 4 days now...it's a lot harder to re-learn how to walk than one would imagine! And especially having to do it so young. I'd call the ortho just in case but I'd bet she's doing okay
Old 03-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
lilal09
Registered Users
seller

My daughter had the cast where the knee was bent and it took forever for her to start walking normally again. I wouldn't worry about it for a couple of weeks at least. Its like they have to readjust to being able to move and walk normally.
lilal09 is offline   Reply With Quote