Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
markswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Talking Dappi Nylon Kool Aid Dye Pictorial

I have a pretty simple CD stash that I love...............UBIPFs and dappi covers. I love my classic stash--not to mention the incredibly easy wash routine. It's amazing how these cheapo covers are my absolute fave cover. I love how trim they fit and no nasty red marks on my sweet babies' thighs. I'm so excited to finally bring some fun color into my stash!! After finding so many threads asking about dyeing Dappis with kool aid, I figured I'd experiment and make a pictorial (since I've found so many helpful pictorials here ). Hope you guys can use this too!! So here goes....................

Materials:
Kool Aid (I used strawberry for the red, blue raspberry for the blue, orange for orange, and lemonade for the yellow)
Stock Pot
Tongs
Spoons
Water
Vinegar

1. Place covers to be dyed in a water bath. While covers are soaking, prepare dye bath (I used 2 ounces of water per 1 ounce vinegar per package of kool aid. I used 3 packages of kool aid for each cover~~6 ounces of water and 3 ounces of vinegar). Mix Kool Aid, water, and vinegar in pot and put on stove. Bring dye bath to a rolling boil on high temperature.

2. Add covers to dye bath. Add enough plain water to dye bath to fully submerge covers. Since the covers bubble up under water, I used spoons to weight them down to ensure even coverage. Bring dye bath back to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.

3. Remove spoons with tongs, flip cover to the other side, weight cover down with spoons again, simmer for additional 15 minutes.

*Note--I noticed after my covers dried that there are some tiny spots that didn't dye well where the spoons were. When I do this next time, I'll periodically move the spoons to ensrure a more even color.
4. Turn heat off and let covers cool in the dye bath about 30 minutes.

5. Rinse, rinse, rinse. I rinsed with cold water 1st, then hot water.

6. Wash covers separately using normal wash routine. I washed the blue separate from the red, yellow, and orange. I washed them on hot with 2 tablespoons unscented Crunchy Clean followed by an extra rinse. I laid them out to dry.

7. Put cute, colorful, trim covers on adorable fluffy butts and try to take a pic before babies crawl/walk away.

I had a lot of fun making these and am sure there will be more to come. I'm searching for green kool aid and pink lemonade. I'd love to try purple but I've heard grape doesn't work well. Hmm..... I'm so excited to bring some fun color into my simple, lil' stash!! This was cheap (I spent less than $5 on Kool Aid) and easy peasy to do. If you decide to do this, please share your results too!!

Just wanted to update you all a few months later on how these covers are holding up............
the colors are all stil just as bold except for the yellow color. It has faded a bit. Also, I had to wash the covers seperately for the 1st few washes b/c the color kept bleeding onto my beloved GMD pfs. I can now wash 'em with my regular diapers (pfs and pockets) just fine, with no worries of bleeding onto my other diapers. I'm very satisifed with how the color has held, and in fact, have more covers just waiting for some color!!

Advertisement

Last edited by markswife; 11-03-2008 at 08:01 PM. Reason: updating
markswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dappi Nylon Kool Aid Dye Pictorial

Great. They look beautifull. Can you do that with cotton shirts too?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
melissalaurel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awesome job Kelly!! Thanks for the pic tutorial.

P and H are soooo cute in their mommy dyed fluff!

mom to 5 boys and expecting a GIRL in January.
Melissa Laurel Fiber Artist
Ravelry profile: melissalaurel
melissalaurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
markswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cedricsmom--I don't think so...........I think I read somewhere that Kool Aid only works on nylon and wool. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I think it will eventually wash out and leave behind only a light stain with cotton.

Mel--thanks so much sweetie!! Notice the pink bo peep in my avatar??
Old 08-26-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Amulet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does the color stay on after repeated washings? Also, I would be worried about ruining the covers by overheating them. Although, they are so cheap I guess it wouldn't matter if I messed one or two up!
Amulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
markswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Amulet--IDK....... I've washed them twice since coloring them and they are just as bold as when they were 1st dyed. I'm not sure how well it will hold with repeated washings yet. All my searching about dyeing nylon said to dye using heat. I dunno if it will wear the covers down prematurely or not. But like you said, they are so inexpensive it doesn't bother me too much.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
TwosCompany
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Those are very pretty! I'm glad to see it worked!! Just one thing though....could you pinch your LO's thighs for me?! I little rollie-pollie fluffy baby thighs.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:32 PM   #8
lovemyzoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thank you I am about to dye mine this weekend...
Old 09-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Thank you so much. I asked about this a couple of months ago and got no response. Now I know how. Good job!!
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #10
kikki
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WOW Kelly! You did an awesome tutorial! I loved all the pics!!!

I'm gonna try to catch up with my friend tomorrow to try some prefolds on Prestyn..then I might try your method/covers if I like the PF's!

Do you think I could put more than one cover in at a time??
kikki is offline   Reply With Quote