Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-19-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
New to knitting question

I would like to learn to knit, as I love the few knitted pieces I own. I noticed in this thread that the OP mentions she learned the English method, but that the Continental is better. What should I learn?

Also, what yarn should I use to learn - should I start with wool, or should I get Acrylic at Walmart?

Where can I get good hooks for cheap?

There is a knitting "group" next door to my kids doctors office. There usually are only 2-3 old ladies there. I will try there and see if I can learn from them, but they are only there for a few hours a week.

abemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: New to knitting question

Don't start with wool. It's more expensive and you will likely have to pull your project out here & there. Plus getting your stitched even is hard at first so your first project or two might be a little wonky.

I see tons of knitting needles at thrift stores. (Or ask your older family members) Buy a gauge so you can know what size they are. (Gauges are like $2 at walmart) Watch a few youtube videos and hopefully that will give you a feel for what you need.
Sahm married to a wonderful man who does the dishes with DS 11/18/02 and DD 7/11/11

My Come Swag with me!
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I want to learn to knit too!
laurenolivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:40 AM   #4
Registered Users

I agree with Rdesonia. Cheap yarn is a good way to start, although fancy more expensive yarn is so much more pleasurable to knit with...
as for continental vs american : it's a personal preference. It only means which hand you're holding the working yarn with. Try both and you'll see which you're more comfortable with. I learned american myself. I can see how continental would be slightly faster (as you don'T have to lift the working yarn over the needle every time), but it doesn't make that much of a difference, really.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!
mariannou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:48 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

IF you have more time to dedicate than with the ladies once a week I recommend youtube. I learned to crochet from Aunt Ester -- it was a three part series that a kid recorded of her aunt. It was great and I learned everything I needed to get started. Now when I need to learn a new stitch or get a refresher on a stitch I just search on youtube and ton on how to videos come up for that stitch, I also save the best ones to rewatch when I need to.

There is similar videos for learning to knit. Good Luck!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 10-29-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote