Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
Registered Users
First Sewing Machine

I am looking into getting a sewing machine.

What should I look for?

As for what I want to do with it: Make stuffed animals.
After that I am sure I will want to cut my own flats and who knows what else. basically I am looking for a good starter sewing machine that can do some work. If it is like anything else in my life I will end up pushing it pretty hard.

I haven't done much sewing in life. But it looks like fun and I think the objects you can make are awesome.

Price range isn't super high so I am probably looking used.

TheMBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:08 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: First Sewing Machine

Hey there! So there is an awesome Singer starter sewing machine which I got from Walmart for 99$ (however here it is online a little cheaper "Singer Starter"). It's got basic settings and is super simple to use/figure out. It's a great starting machine for anyone looking to learn their way around a sewing machine. The only thing I would do though is replace the needles when you first get it, as they're not the best. A pack of different sizes isn't hard to find.

I always hand sewed everything I made prior to getting this as my first machine, and now while I'm not a pro, I can figure my way around just about any other sewing machine simply from learning off this one. I use it often, and the only thing that has broken thus far is the needles (because I was a beginner trying to sew through denim with a very improper needle). I also believe, depending on where you purchase it from, it comes with a free warranty from Singer themselves, so if something breaks, they can help you out!

Hope this helps.
LuBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:32 AM   #3
Registered Users

Lately I've been loving vintage singer sewing machines. Super strong, sew through multiple layers and thick fabrics with no issues. You can find them cheap at thrift stores or craigslist. Got a singer stylist with cabinet for $35 at goodwill! And a singer 401 for $75 from Craigslist. I read the best ones are the 301 or 401 series.
keidlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
Registered Users

I think the craigslist route is the way to go! Thanks!
TheMBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:44 AM   #5
Registered Users

You can look at machine reviews on you might want something with a free arm if you are making clothes for toys, etc. definitely go vintage and a good solid machine. Old singers (not anything from the last few decades) and berninas are workhorses...
Bump2b is offline   Reply With Quote