Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
plutos_kiss
Registered Users
seller

Sewing Inserts

I just bought several yards of hemp fabric (the terry hemp from diapersewingsupplies.com) to sew my own pocket inserts. They recommend not sewing more than two layers together, or they will take forever to dry. I was going to make them extra long, to be folded over, to avoid this lengthy drying time. I also have three dozen bamboo inserts that by themselves have not been enough for my son (hence the purchase of hemp). So these are my questions.

1. I always dry my inserts in the dryer. Would sewing two layers together even be a big deal in that case? Or should I go with the idea to make the insert long?

2. Would it be worth serging together a homemade hemp insert and one of the bamboo ones, to make a super long insert that needs to be folded over? I would be doing this mainly in the interest of improving the absorption rate. Would it improve or do both hemp and bamboo tend to absorb at the same slower rate?

I assume the answers may be to make a few different types to start and just experiment, but any insight would be appreciated.

Advertisement

plutos_kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:13 AM   #2
Blessedmama777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sewing Inserts

I'm going to follow this! I'm interested too.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:51 PM   #3
mariposablue
Registered Users
seller

I'm no expert and still trying to figure things out. The bamboo fleece I have is 280gsm. I made 2 three layer petals and sewed together at the top. They are not enough for my son. I had hemp doublers and with that it's enough. I have made them 2 layer squares (about 12x15) to tri-fold and did snake style as well (2 layers to tri-fold). I think how you do it is personal preference. I prefer the petals but it takes longer for me to cut and sew them. I have bought heavy bamboo fleece as that should work better but haven't tried it yet. bamboo absorbs more quickly than hemp and has been fine for my 2 year old. I don't need cotton on top though when I was reading and trying to figure it out before I started I thought I need to.

I put mine in the dryer - takes about 2 cycles.

You can do bamboo and hemp together if you want. I probably would though some say don't bother. You could also do a few layers of each and then sew together at the top.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
Wanna3rd
Registered Users

Following as I need to make some inserts myself.
Wanna3rd is offline   Reply With Quote