Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:
Carb Junkie Ideas???

Both my DD and my DH are simple carb junkies. We go through close to a 5lb bag a week of unbleached all purpose flour. I would love to start introducing whole wheat flour, but after making strawberry whole wheat pancakes today (and no one would eat them), I'm in need of ideas.

I know I can/should probably start with portions of whole wheat flour mixed with AP Flour and ease their tate buds into it- but does antone have any tricks to make whole wheat flour taste less *healthy*?

Also, what things NEED ap flour? Do I need it for making a rue, can I use whole wheat for pizza crust? Is there a guide for this

TIA!

Advertisement

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
swedishmaiden
Registered Users
seller

Re: Carb Junkie Ideas???

There are a lot of baked goods that I definitely don't make 100% whole wheat, even though I prefer it. Muffins, biscuits, and pancakes are usually half and half, or depending on the recipe, maybe 2/3 wheat and 1/3 white. But we do eat 100% whole wheat bread, since that is a staple.

My biggest tips would be getting fresh ground flour, whether you can do it yourself or maybe a health food store would carry it (I have my own mill) and using white wheat as opposed to red wheat. Red wheat is darker and "heartier", white wheat is lighter and fluffier. I think most of the preground stuff in the store is red wheat, besides the fact that it is old and stale, but I've seen ground white wheat in a couple of my local heatlh food stores.
swedishmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote