Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
carazoe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ok... Thanks Peta!

http://blog.peta.org/archives/2010/0...milk.php?c=pfs

Peta is VERY brave. (although a nice idea) I can see this causing some issues with moms unable to BF.

Advertisement

Wife to Reed, &, select & delayed-vaxing, babywearing, non-circ'ing, co-sleeping Mommy to Gabriel (June 3, 2010), Stepmom to Dagan(11) Expecting baby #2 in MARCH
carazoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Ok... Thanks Peta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carazoe View Post
http://blog.peta.org/archives/2010/0...milk.php?c=pfs

Peta is VERY brave. (although a nice idea) I can see this causing some issues with moms unable to BF.

I like it. I don't think there's enough info/support out there for new moms, especially very young ones or lower income ones. It seems as if the mamas that have trouble with BFing that stick with it have the means to get educated and to seek help (LLL, lac consultant, good pump, etc). My only concern with this type of lactivism (and trust me, I'm all for BFing 100%) is that mamas like me, who physically cannot breastfeed (and pump every last drop they can but it's still not enough), would find it very cost-prohibitive and detrimental to baby's development if formula became something regulated by a prescription or hard to find.
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
carazoe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skolbut View Post
I like it. I don't think there's enough info/support out there for new moms, especially very young ones or lower income ones. It seems as if the mamas that have trouble with BFing that stick with it have the means to get educated and to seek help (LLL, lac consultant, good pump, etc). My only concern with this type of lactivism (and trust me, I'm all for BFing 100%) is that mamas like me, who physically cannot breastfeed (and pump every last drop they can but it's still not enough), would find it very cost-prohibitive and detrimental to baby's development if formula became something regulated by a prescription or hard to find.
Yea. I agree 100%. They posted this on their FB page and there is already some lash out from moms unable to breast feed. I feel bad b/c at least they tried and its not fair for them to feel attacked. They should have some disclaimer stating "Please try breastfeeding, it may not be right for you but trying to bf for at least 6 months can help your babies health" or something like that.
This was something that was posted earlier this week and its really sad how negative the responses are: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100405/...eeding_savings
Wife to Reed, &, select & delayed-vaxing, babywearing, non-circ'ing, co-sleeping Mommy to Gabriel (June 3, 2010), Stepmom to Dagan(11) Expecting baby #2 in MARCH
Old 04-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carazoe View Post
Yea. I agree 100%. They posted this on their FB page and there is already some lash out from moms unable to breast feed. I feel bad b/c at least they tried and its not fair for them to feel attacked. They should have some disclaimer stating "Please try breastfeeding, it may not be right for you but trying to bf for at least 6 months can help your babies health" or something like that.
This was something that was posted earlier this week and its really sad how negative the responses are: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100405/...eeding_savings
It's too bad mom's who CANNOT breastfeed are often unsupportive of lactivism. We all know the facts -- breastfed babies are much much healthier. It's not the women who can't breastfeed that these articles target, it's those who bottle feed because they've been told that's what you do, or because they don't want to try nursing, or because it 'hurts' or because it's 'easier' (personally I'd rather whip out a boob than sterilize bottles). Wouldn't it be a wonderful world when all babies get breastmilk, and those of us that can't nurse can go to a store to pick up some freshly pumped mama's milk, or stop by the local wet nurse -- and nobody thinks that's 'gross'??
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
It's too bad mom's who CANNOT breastfeed are often unsupportive of lactivism. We all know the facts -- breastfed babies are much much healthier. It's not the women who can't breastfeed that these articles target, it's those who bottle feed because they've been told that's what you do, or because they don't want to try nursing, or because it 'hurts' or because it's 'easier' (personally I'd rather whip out a boob than sterilize bottles). Wouldn't it be a wonderful world when all babies get breastmilk, and those of us that can't nurse can go to a store to pick up some freshly pumped mama's milk, or stop by the local wet nurse -- and nobody thinks that's 'gross'??

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
I cant BF. I have IGT (recently diagnosed) and was unable to bf both of my kids despite doing everything "right" (fenugreek seed, blessed thistle, dom, hospital grade pump, nursing on demand, using an sns, etc...) and I never got more than .5oz per feed (weighed before and after) and no more than a tablespoon of milk from both breasts combined per pumping session. Never engorged...never felt full, never felt let down, nothing.

I dont have an issue with this billboard. I wish more mothers that chose not to BF would rethink their decision. I am so utterly jealous of women who CAN bf but CHOOSE not to.

I would totally use a wetnurse if I could find one, lol!

ETA; I just wanted to say that once the baby is more than 1 month old you no longer have to sterilize bottles or use nursery water or any of that. I am sure that bf'ing is still easier in terms of what you have to prepare (still have to make and clean bottles even if you dont sterilize), but its not that bad.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!

Last edited by BNC; 04-07-2010 at 12:16 PM.
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
angelnalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to pipe in there and say low income mom's can get help with bf'd and a good pump through WIC. They have breast feeding support groups as well as classes and a lactation consultant that you can call. WIC also now offers bf moms a breast pump it may only be a manual one but it is medela and works quite well IMO it is the harmony medela bp. Maybe that will help some mamas to know.
angelnalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
carazoe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelnalex View Post
Just wanted to pipe in there and say low income mom's can get help with bf'd and a good pump through WIC. They have breast feeding support groups as well as classes and a lactation consultant that you can call. WIC also now offers bf moms a breast pump it may only be a manual one but it is medela and works quite well IMO it is the harmony medela bp. Maybe that will help some mamas to know.
Thats good to know. Now if only doctors shared this information with their low income patients.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
Xeniphia
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelnalex View Post
I HATED my WIC provided manual pump. I had absolutely 0 issues breasfeeding but if I'd had to go back to work and rely on that .... thing ... I'd never have made it. This was 6 years ago so I don't know if what they provide now is different or not, but I could barely made it work for me even for a night out.
Gaming Star Wars Geek married to the love of my life. Cosleeping , Breastfeeding , Babywearing , CDing , ECing, Nonvaxing, Noncircing, BLWing, HS hopeful WAHM to my Jedi 7-2003, and my munchkin 8-2009.
Xeniphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I waited and waited and waited on wics pump for me, was going to be a double electric (they provide only for working mamas here) They gave me a manual in the meantime...which actually worked better than the crappy old PIS I had. I did get one through insurance but the place i got it at only had ameda...I'd already tried one but it didn't work as well..IMO the suction wasn't as strong as the medela..but then again my babe is one strong suctioner. lol