Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2006, 06:26 PM   #21
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Re: Relactating Where to begin ,lol. Need suggestions!!

Good for you! My thoughts are. If your leaking then you havn't dried up. If he will latch start nursing him as often as he will. I would shoot for every 1.5 hours to start with. That in and of itself will do more than pumping ever could. Next get in touch with LLL and they will have a ton of good advise for you. Yes I knew a lady who nursed two adopted children. She did use a supplimenter some but was very successfull over all. I am not really sure about the herbs and such but sounds like your getting some good advise with that already. But I am encouraged to see you leaking, I think it won't be hard at all. Good luck!

Advertisement

Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:15 PM   #22
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drenotdoctor
I got a prescription for it from my OB. Not sure why ppl are saying it's illegal in the US... Hmmm... Maybe b/c it's not approved by the FDA?? Call your OB, maybe they can help you on where to get it. I got mine with a prescription from a compunding pharmacy.
If you look at the links in the thread I posted above, the FDA banned it in the US in 2004. I had no idea until recently because everyone I've heard talk about it is Canadian but that's what I found out. There are still doctors who will prescribe and there are still pharmacies that will fill it, but it is illegal and the pharmacies can be punished by the FDA.

Now, as for ordering it from pharmacies or friends overseas, that's drug trafficking and is also illegal. I think it's tragic because I do believe that the FDA was hasty in banning it, but I also think that mamas need to know the whole story before taking risky measures to obtain it. I would feel better about finding a doc and pharmacy that are willing to do it because at least then you can plead ignorance...you're just following doctor's orders. If you order from overseas and have it shipped here, you're pretty much admitting that you know you're breaking the rules, plus, you have no guarantees about the quality of what you're getting and you're taking a prescription drug without consulting a doctor first so there's no telling what will happen. It's a hard situation for mamas.

Definitely try the herbal route first. If that doesn't work, then consult an LC (or two or three!) and your doctor because there are drugs other than Domperidone that have the same effect. If you're still unsuccessful and decide that it's worth the risks, then you can look into getting Domperidone.
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:42 PM   #23
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

PLEASE do not use the domperidone unless it is a last resort.

The fenugreek and milk thistle should do it, along with the latching on.

Domperidone causes liver problems....youcan only take it short term , and it causes your liver enzymes to act up. you would have to have liver testing bloodwork done, and i know women who had to stop taking it because their liver enzymes messed up, and the day they stopped taking it, their milkdried up.

Please try the herbal stuff first,...good luck!!
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:16 PM   #24
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

I HAVE HAD TO RELACTATE TWICE! When my 2nd dd was born, I was all set to do it right. We established a great nursing relationship and bam, I ended up in the hospital for 2 months. I had to really relactate from just about nothing to a full supply. Here is what I did:

Pump every 2 hours (similate having nb)
Drink 64oz water every day
Eat oatmeal for breakfast everyday
Took 600mg of Fenugreek a day
Took 80mg Dom a day

Both my lactation consultants and LLL leader were about the Dom.

You can get Dom from New Zealand at www.globaldrug.tv

Quote:
Domperidone causes liver problems....youcan only take it short term , and it causes your liver enzymes to act up. you would have to have liver testing bloodwork done, and i know women who had to stop taking it because their liver enzymes messed up, and the day they stopped taking it, their milkdried up.
FALSE~Domperidone (or motilium) has been perscribed for years for normal digestive health. People taking it for such reasons use it for long term benefits. I don't know where she got this info, but according to my lactation consultants and every place I've researced, I've never found anyone to state danger from long term usage.
Quote:
Now, as for ordering it from pharmacies or friends overseas, that's drug trafficking and is also illegal
SEMI FALSE~I receive Dom in my normal mailbox, straight from the New Zealand pharmacy. Did you know that Dom is sold over the couter in Europe? It is a health Supplament, not a drug classified in its normal context. Drugs have different catagories of seriousness. Dom does not cross over the brain barrier like other drugs like Reglan (NEVER TAKE THIS, I DID AND IT GAVE ME DEPRESSION!!!!). Though the FDA has put a ban on this product in the US for a treatment or cure for particular diseases/symptoms, that does not mean that it can't be used for other things. They never fully examined how much this supplament helps moms to relactate.

I've taken Dom and it helped me to nurse with a full milk supply. If you ever need help relacting or want someone to talk to, please don't hesitate to contact me!

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:32 PM   #25
Audriannasmommy
Registered Users

I would love for someone to talk to. I plan on relactating for my 14 month old well she will be in 3 days. I have the domperidone, fenugreek, mothers milk tea. I however am hesitant about taking the dom because I am waiting to take a pregnancy test tommorow yep this mama is 1 week late and going mental. But if I am not pregnant I could use tons of advice so feel free to im me
Audriannasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:46 AM   #26
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresaarrington
SEMI FALSE~I receive Dom in my normal mailbox, straight from the New Zealand pharmacy. Did you know that Dom is sold over the couter in Europe? It is a health Supplament, not a drug classified in its normal context. Drugs have different catagories of seriousness. Dom does not cross over the brain barrier like other drugs like Reglan (NEVER TAKE THIS, I DID AND IT GAVE ME DEPRESSION!!!!). Though the FDA has put a ban on this product in the US for a treatment or cure for particular diseases/symptoms, that does not mean that it can't be used for other things. They never fully examined how much this supplament helps moms to relactate.

I understand that it is possible to order from overseas pharmacies and get the drug in your mailbox...that dosn't mean that it's legal. It just means that you got lucky and it didn't get stopped at the border (which in many cases it will...wonder if those overseas pharmacies give you your money back if that happens?) And yes, it is over the counter in Europe, but we're not in Europe. Marijuana is legal in Holland...still doesn't mean you can order it and have it shipped here to use does it? Actually, you probably could...but what happens when you get caught?

I also understand that some of the alternatives to Domperidone have serious side effects (like Reglan) *in some women*. Domperidone also has serious side effects *in some people*. That's why it's important to take any medication under a doctor's supervision. Wouldn't it be nice if there were a magic pill that would fix one problem without affecting any other systems!

One thing you said that I do agree with is that the FDA did not do adequate research on the benefits of Domperidone for lactating women. I believe that's tragic and would like to know if there's anything we can do to pressure them to reconsider this. However, your statement that just because they've banned it for some things doesn't mean that it's illegal for other uses is false. If you look at the links I posted earlier, you can find more information.

"FDA officials say they issued the warning after they discovered that some women who breastfeed and/or pump breast milk are purchasing domperidone from compounding pharmacies and from foreign countries to increase their breast milk production.

Domperidone has not been approved for use in the U.S., and officials say use of the drug for any purpose is illegal.

Domperidone may increase the secretion of the hormone prolactin, which is needed for lactation. However, due to the risk of serious adverse effects, the FDA recommends that breastfeeding women not use the drug to increase milk production."

excerpt from an article at http://www.webmd.com/content/article/88/99922.htm

I feel like the bad guy here...I'm really not trying to be argumentative. I just thought that all this was very interesting when I started researching it and I think that mothers need to know so that they can make an informed decision.
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #27
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster2000
If you look at the links in the thread I posted above, the FDA banned it in the US in 2004. I had no idea until recently because everyone I've heard talk about it is Canadian but that's what I found out. There are still doctors who will prescribe and there are still pharmacies that will fill it, but it is illegal and the pharmacies can be punished by the FDA.
This is incorrect. You can get it from compounding pharmacies - they are not regulated by the FDA, so they can't be punished by them. You just have to sign a piece of paper (usually) at the pharmacy saying that you know that it isn't approved by the FDA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster2000
Definitely try the herbal route first. If that doesn't work, then consult an LC (or two or three!) and your doctor because there are drugs other than Domperidone that have the same effect. If you're still unsuccessful and decide that it's worth the risks, then you can look into getting Domperidone.
The other drug that is currently in use is Reglan. This is much more dangerous than Domperidone! A lot more of it transfers into the breast milk (while very little Domperidone gets into the milk at all). It also had a side-effect of depression, among other things! And for those of us having issues with breastfeeding, the last thing we need is to be taking something that causes depression!!

I got my doctor to prescribe it for me, but at the pharmacy I went to, it was incredibly expensive. It was much cheaper for me to order it online, and at least I have a prescription proving that I needed it if anything happens (but of all the people I know that have used it, there has NEVER been a case of getting in trouble for importing it). I ordered mine from www.globaldrug.tv It takes about 2 weeks to come in, and it's only $30 for 100 10mg pills (my pharmacy wanted $40 for 21 10mg pills).
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #28
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the only reason i warned against domperidone is becasue i have a dear friend who lost her milk at 6 wks pp...her stupid doctor gave her bc pills without asking her anything, andit dried her milk up. So they prescribed dom for her, and she began having liver issues. At 4 mos pp, she had to stop taking it becasue her liver enzymes were off. Her milk was gone in no time.

I was just relating experience, not trying to pick a fight.
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #29
naomisarah
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamom
PLEASE do not use the domperidone unless it is a last resort.

The fenugreek and milk thistle should do it, along with the latching on.

Please try the herbal stuff first,...good luck!!

I take Dom, and I ordered it from www.globaldrug.tv as well, in New Zealand. I love the stuff.

The only reason they say it causes liver problems is because they tested it ONCE in lab rats by injecting them with extremely high concentration of the drug and it harmed them. The major concern in the rat test was seizures - and Dom can NOT pass the blood-brain barrier in humans.

Your milk does not dry up once you stop taking it, either. When a mother loses her milk supply, the Dom helps you RElactate, not CONTINUE to lactate.

I lost my milk due to hypothyroidism, and even when I got my thyroid corrected, my body didn't have the hormones anymore to stimulate milk supply. The Dom disguises itself as Prolactin, the hormone that stimulates milk production - No amount of Blessed Thistle, Fenugreek, MMtea or stimulation could get my milk going. I was down to 1.5 ounces per DAY, pumping 4 times a day for half an hour each time. I DID use it as a last resort, but in the future, I would use it as an earlier resort rather than going through the 2 months of struggling and HELL and frustration and guilt.

It is more important to me that my DD gets my breastmilk. One of the reasons for Dom being illegal in the US (which, technically, ANYTHING illegal can be prescribed by a doctor, so even though it can be prescribed, it is still illegal) is that formula is so inexpensive and easily accessible in the US that they'd rather not pay for the research. That was told to me by my LLL leader.

At any rate, I discourage people from being too hesitant about Dom - it's not cocaine, it's not Heroin, border patrol is not very concerned with a lactation stimulant coming into the US. It shows up marked "dietary supplement" - and I hope many mothers can benefit from it as much as I have. There is simply nothing that I love more than nursing my daughter.
naomisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:22 PM   #30
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lisa-
Just sent your dom to you this morning. I forgot to include it in the last package. I sent it priority, so you should have it by the weekend! Wow...this thread is starting to be ! lol

Oh, and btw, you can order it through a compounding pharmacy here in my hometown. Their number is 866-354-5188 . They said a month's supply should be at most $65.