Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
RodentRanger
Registered Users

My Mood:
7 wk old DS refuses breast

Advertisement

Last edited by RodentRanger; 02-21-2008 at 07:23 PM.
RodentRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
A'smommy
Registered Users

Re: 7 wk old DS refuses breast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodentRanger View Post
What is up with that?! And how do I get him to not be a weirdo?
I don't know what's up. Could it be the "witching hour" that Dr. Sears refers to as the time when nothing is right with the world? Some babies have times when nothing and no one can help them calm down. You might try wearing him in a sling, so he's close to you, and letting him eat (or not) when he's hungry.

I have sooo been there...DD went through a whole week (at 3 wks) when she screamed nonstop. (I'm not exaggerating.) When the week was over, she stopped as suddenly as she started. I have no idea why...we tried everything.

Hang in there, it gets better!

Last edited by A'smommy; 02-06-2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: fixed blinkie
A'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Could he have gas? I know Kaytlynn would do that around the same time, I think she did it closer to 9:00 though and wouldn't really nurse good until around 12:00. Umm,, lets see have you tried sugar water to get him to latch on? I know I had to do that sometimes. What about leaning back, maybe you have a strong letdown, I found that by leaning back, almost laying down Kaytynn would nurse better. Also are you getting a let down quickly? You may be a little slower at night time so he's getting frustrated. Remember that if YOU get frustrated he will feel that and will get even more frustrated. If it doesnt' work at first let it go for a few min. and then try again after he calms down. I wouldn't always give up and use a bottle, he may begin to prefer it. I know these times are hard, I swear they will get easier, you both learn what you're doing and it just becomes a precious time. Youve done a great job so far, hang in there. The first couple of months are the hardest and it gets sooo much easier as time goes by!! ((hugs))
mommy21princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would try feeding him earlier.

DD would do that at the 2 am feeding. Nothing would make me more hysterical than DD clearly being hungry, me not being awake at all, and she not latching on and screaming at me. I started to set my alarm for 1:30 am and dream feed her. This did the trick, she would go right back to sleep and I could go right back to sleep after a good feed.

I am guessing he is really hungry and gets frustrated, that or he is tired. Or it is just a phase. Every time you figure something out during the first 6 months, they change it a week or two later.

It keeps us on our toes.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you express the milk into the bottle, then try latching him on. Maybe you are too full at that point and he can't properly latch on. I had this issue w/ ds when I was nursing. Keep persisting and limit bottle use if you want to get a successful nursing.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
worldsaver
Registered Users

My Mood:

my DD did that too, and started progressing to where she refused to nurse most of the time for 2 months at a time--I guess like a severe /long nursing strike

Try offering the boob earlier so he's not as hungry, nursing while walking in a sling, in different positions like lying down, and in a dim room. You can also try pumping until you get a let down, or if you think your let down is too much, try pumping and letting it spray into a towel.
worldsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #7
pottymomma
Registered Users
seller

Don't have time to read other responses, so I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but maybe he is just plain being impatient! LOL If you express for the bottle, why don't you try to express until just at let down and then stick him on. He may not be wanting to wait for the let down???

http://pottymomma.blogspot.com
pottymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #8
soygurl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetodance View Post
I would try feeding him earlier.

DD would do that at the 2 am feeding. Nothing would make me more hysterical than DD clearly being hungry, me not being awake at all, and she not latching on and screaming at me. I started to set my alarm for 1:30 am and dream feed her. This did the trick, she would go right back to sleep and I could go right back to sleep after a good feed.

I am guessing he is really hungry and gets frustrated, that or he is tired. Or it is just a phase. Every time you figure something out during the first 6 months, they change it a week or two later.

It keeps us on our toes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaRhi View Post
If you express the milk into the bottle, then try latching him on. Maybe you are too full at that point and he can't properly latch on. I had this issue w/ ds when I was nursing. Keep persisting and limit bottle use if you want to get a successful nursing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elissa View Post
my DD did that too, and started progressing to where she refused to nurse most of the time for 2 months at a time--I guess like a severe /long nursing strike

Try offering the boob earlier so he's not as hungry, nursing while walking in a sling, in different positions like lying down, and in a dim room. You can also try pumping until you get a let down, or if you think your let down is too much, try pumping and letting it spray into a towel.
to all of the above! Try feeding him earlier (before he starts showing hungry signs), and if that doesn't work, try expressing some milk and then latching him on (without giving him the bottle first).
Different nursing positions too! Don't be afraid to try some "weird" ones!
soygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:01 AM   #9
sienna
Registered Users

You've had alot of great suggestions here...do be careful with the bottle b/c you don't want to add nipple confusion to the mix...esp if his problem is that he is impatient for letdown.

If it were me i'd try to pump to get a letdown and then try latching him on. In my experience bottles rarely help in the long run with bfing problems.

S
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote