Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
Nikki*lala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
S/O of night feedings older babies

So my 10 months old still dosent sleep through the night and that is fine but some nights it is every 2-4 hours. I was talking about it at my ladies night out (its a ladies knit night out, I am the youngest one) I was advised to feed her more during the day, Cows milk, and to cry it out. or to move her out of my room
I will wait to see if she falls back asleep before I get her out of the crib (its right next to my bed) sometimes she will fall back asleep other times she pulls up on the rails and wants nursed, if she falls back asleep she is still up at least 3 times a night I don't think she is "playing" me I think she really wants to nurse.

she dose eat finger foods, some baby food, or what ever we are eating cut up really small. she seems to be getting enough when we "feed" her when she is done she shows the signs to us.

I read the other thread and realize that it is normal so what do you think of the advice I was givin??

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
abagold
Registered Users
seller

Re: S/O of night feedings older babies

Do not give her cow's milk until a year. They need to have either breast milk or formula for the first year. Early introduction of cow's milk can lead to low iron. My DD was the same way and still at 18 m/o nurses at least once during the night. The 9-10 months was a hard time for us to. I swear she woke up more. Just hang in there, it will get better. Also, eating solids at this age is just about getting use to the texture and not about nutrition, breast milk or formula are the primary nutrition. I wish I had kept up more with the breast milk more (I started pumping less b/c she was eating solids) and she had low iron at 9 months and at a year. I think she needed more breast milk. Follow your instincts, you know your baby best.
abagold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

People put WAY too much emphasis on sleeping through the night. Heck, my 4 year old doesn't sleep through the night many nights. And my 22 month old rarely goes without waking at least once, and she's been nightweaned since 13 months (DD1 was at 20 months).

Seriously, babies (especially under 1 year) wake because they need to. Whether it's for protective measures (like not falling into TOO deep of a sleep, which may be a factor in SIDS), because they're hungry, because they're not feeling well, because they're teething, etc...
Old 04-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
SazBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just remember every baby is different, and you have to do what is right for you! For us, DD coslept with us until about 13 months, and would nurse VERY frequently through the night. At about 13 months, we started putting her in the crib at the start of the night (she was nursed to sleep then moved), and she started sleeping in longer stretches- up to 4-5 hours, I suspect because DH and I weren't waking her up. We would bring her to bed with us when she woke up the first time and didn't go back to sleep within 5 minutes. We did this for a week or so, then I started just nursing her, then back in the crib. I was amazed at how she started sleeping at 14 months, right when she started walking- I guess she was tuckering herself out! We had about 2 weeks where she would occasionally wake around 2-3am, but we could settle her back down- after that, she has been a great sleeper in the crib! I was so grateful for a full night's sleep after 14 months of such broken sleep. Hang in there, you can do it- and do what feels right to you!

BTW, we never really tried any of the "cures" for waking in the night, never tried a big feeding of formula or loading her with cereal before bed, but did definitely get surprised at how often she will go back to sleep on her own if we waited 5-10 minutes after she started fussing. I am not a fan of "cry it out" and I don't feel like that's what we're doing, sometimes all it takes is standing outside the door and shushing her once or twice. There are lots of "sleep solution" books out there, people always refer to the "No Cry Sleep Solution" with positivity, maybe try that one and see if it works for you??

Good luck with your situation, and hope you can get more sleep soon!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
JamesAndMe
Registered Users

Ehhh 10 months is too early to expect much from an infant. And, it's WAY too early for cow's milk or CIO. (Proper use of CIO, IMO, is like, your 4 year old is having a FIT cause you won't let them have yet another ice cream snack, you offer them carrot sticks, so they throw themselves to the floor and have a hissyfit and you just ignore them and fix the carrot sticks and walk off. lol)

You CAN attempt to nurse her more often in the day. But other than that, there really isn't a lot to be done if she genuinely needs to nurse at night - she needs to nurse at night. The way I figure it .. I'm 24 years old .. I wake up at least once at night thirsty.. and if I could not get myself the glass I'd probably yell for someone to get me one. lol. Sometimes I rarely have woken up with the desire to eat, too. I have a much larger stomach and slower metabolism than a baby does, tho, so my ability to hold my hunger vs. a babies is different.

I would not EXPECT a child to sleep through the night ever, really. I'd be happy if they did, but, I wouldn't expect it. I remember going and bugging my parents on numerous occasions as a child because I was hungry (I have a really fast metabolism as an adult too, pregnant I woke up like every night at 2 am to eat ) or had a nightmare and they never were mean to me about it...

Yeah, you can certainly expect the every couple hours thing to go away permanently by at the very latest 18 months (it's more likely to occur around a year or 13, 14 months.. it could come back if the baby is ill or growth spurting) but you can't really expect kids to sleep all night in general. Unless you're mean to them about it (and even then that doesn't always work). In which case I view it like my childhood friend and she got repeated UTI's because her mom would scream at her if she got out of bed to go potty (it was an appt. and the bathroom was through their room) and she'd "disturb her", so she'd hold it or hold it til she couldn't take it anymore and often wet the bed which would further tick off her mom. I dunno. I couldn't be like that.

I view it like if they're thirsty/hungry/wet, well, oh well, I'm the momma that's kind of my job
JamesAndMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
MammaNilsson
Registered Users
seller

I can tell that most of the folks in your ladies knit night out are at least 1-2 generations older than the average age of most child bearing women. This was common advice given back then and it's long been proven extremely detrimental to the long term mental health of children. It can have some pretty damaging effects all the way into adulthood with some children if strictly adhered to. If you think that's the direction you want to go, I'd highly recommend extensive research into the history of that advice.

Just to give you an idea though, the beginnings of these methods go back to two men (one American, one British) who were very against breastfeeding and totally encouraged women to use substitutes for mother's milk from birth, in part because they believed that mother's milk was unsanitary. They started teaching these things about 100 years ago. You could say it's more than slightly outdated. I could go on, but I'll leave it to you to research the topic if you really want to go there. Suffice it to say that when these women were mothering their children, the AAP was recommending formula feeding exclusively from birth and these other practices along w/ it. It should show something that they no longer do; in other words, there's a reason behind the shift.

Meanwhile, as others have indicated, these times of sleepless nights are temporary. In my experience, right about the time they seem to be intolerable is shortly before they stop. I've been amazed to find that within a year afterward, you have to have someone else remind you that it was really like that at one time.
MammaNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
Nikki*lala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks mamas, I feel better about it now that I have read all your posts!!! I just wanted to ask someone else cause I felt like I was doing something wrong when all the other Knit night ladies gave me advice. I really enjoy nursing and I am ok with getting up I wish it was only maybe 1-2 times!!! but it will pass!!! My first LO was and is a really good sleeper!! she didnt go through the night till about 11 months and now loves to nap and sleep!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
tcmt81
Registered Users
seller

Have you tried rocking her to sleep in the middle of the night instead of feeding? My DD does not STTN any more. She stopped at 6 months old. Any little sound wakes her up, and then she needs to be soothed back to sleep. 2 weeks ago, I tried rocking her for 10 minutes instead, and it worked! She still wakes up at night, but is now night weaned. She was just ready for it, and there was no CIO.

I'd say if she is waking up every 2 hours I would not feed every single time. I would try soothing her in other ways. You may consider trying to limit feedings to no more than once every 3-4 hours, and other times, rock to sleep. Or feed after the first waking and then rock to sleep the rest of the night. I realize it might not work for you, but you don't know until you try.

I knew it was time to cut back night feedings because she had started to eat less during the day (since she was getting calories at night), and it was silly. Now she is eating normal during the day again.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
JamesAndMe
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmt81 View Post
Have you tried rocking her to sleep in the middle of the night instead of feeding? My DD does not STTN any more. She stopped at 6 months old. Any little sound wakes her up, and then she needs to be soothed back to sleep. 2 weeks ago, I tried rocking her for 10 minutes instead, and it worked! She still wakes up at night, but is now night weaned. She was just ready for it, and there was no CIO.

I'd say if she is waking up every 2 hours I would not feed every single time. I would try soothing her in other ways. You may consider trying to limit feedings to no more than once every 3-4 hours, and other times, rock to sleep. Or feed after the first waking and then rock to sleep the rest of the night. I realize it might not work for you, but you don't know until you try.

I knew it was time to cut back night feedings because she had started to eat less during the day (since she was getting calories at night), and it was silly. Now she is eating normal during the day again.

This is well-intentioned and may have worked for you, PP..

But I wanted to say that sometimes babies are REALLY distracted around this age. It's also a prime milestone (like learning to crawl or walk which burns a lot more calories), growth-spurt, separation anxiety, and teething time... All valid reasons for nursing more often.

Distracted babies sometimes don't nurse as often as they should in the day, especially if they are expending more calories, and as a result will nurse more at night. YES, the opposite -could- be true and they can sometimes nurse more at night because you let them and it's comforting and so then they're not as hungry during the day.. but to address this I specifically said ' you can try nursing more in the day' ..

I would --NOT-- just cut out nursing sessions at night. You can inadvertently cause a nursing strike or early weaning by forcefully cutting out nursing sessions. That did not happen to you, but it can easily happen.

OP, try nursing more in the day.. but I would NOT start a forced night-weaning process unless you are accepting of the idea of it causing consequences that I mentioned. This (night-waking) will get better on its own with time and maturation and possibly be helped slightly by encouraging more nursing sessions and cutting down distractions in the day whilst nursing... but it may just be developmental, teething, a growth spurt, milestones, etc. -- and trying to purposely cut out nursing sessions before babies are ready is generally a nursing no-no because it can lead to inadvertent early weaning. If that is what you WANT, that'd be different, but I assume you want to lean more towards baby-led weaning?? And yeah, some babies would respond to night-weaning or partial night-weaning by nursing more often in the day.. but.. others can start refusing more nursing sessions (nursing lull) OR start refusing to nurse at all (strike!) and nursing lulls and strikes can be harrowing experiences. They also can start losing weight or become extremely clingy and demand to nurse -even more- (like, constantly! And scream about it constantly! And make you go batty and think something is wrong! lol. Usually kids respond to night-weaning by nursing less often - but I've seen the opposite happen too and not in a slightly more often way!).

Anyway, I didn't say any of this to insult the poster advising you.. it was really well-intentioned but it's really not the best advice ever, IMO.

I'm sorry you are tired It will get better and it won't be long before you miss all of this

Last edited by JamesAndMe; 04-14-2010 at 12:15 PM.
JamesAndMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
tcmt81
Registered Users
seller

I appreciate your post.. but I also don't think my DD was at risk of striking because of the night weaning. I didn't really elaborate in my post, but DD had stopped giving me "I want to nurse" signals when I picked her up. Ie. she wasn't rooting, eating my shirt, pulling my shirt etc, she would just wake up crying and immediately I would offer her food. I just decided to rock her instead of offering. I also think there is some mommy intuition involved, and I felt that it was ME who was choosing to feed her instead of her asking.

You are right though, it may be the completely wrong approach for the OP.