Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
When is a lemonade/candy stand too much?

Last summer, I let my child have a lemonade stand with friends selling simple Koolaid for 25 cents a cup. Certainly not a money making venture but I figured it was teaching a little about money and it was fun. Then, things have snowballed in the neighborhood. Kids wanted to go door to door (I told them no). The friends' mom gave them a bin of big candy and they started selling at their house for $1 a piece. Woa... talk about fleecing the kids in the neighborhood.

They started up again this spring, came to our house to invite my son over and gave him $3 for "working" at the stand. I wasn't comfortable with it and then right after church the next day, they came over with their bucket of candy to do a stand at our house. I told them that I didn't have any Koolaid and didn't have time to supervise a stand. They said that their dad told them they couldn't do one at their house until after noon and that my son had to contribute something to it. WHAT? They invited him over in the first place! I had it, made my son give the money back from the day before and told him that we will only do stands in the future if the money is for charity and that if these friends are having a stand, he must come home. Am I being completely unreasonable here?

mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: When is a lemonade/candy stand too much?

I don't think that you were being unreasonable at all.

I would get annoyed if I had the same neighborhood kids knocking on my door selling me candy very often. A stand, I'd have less problem with since I'd go to it if I was interested and skip it if I wasn't. But as a parent, I probably would've done the same thing as you. It's weird that they "paid" your son .. and crazy for them to demand to have the stand at your house.
tmy237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Registered Users
Re: When is a lemonade/candy stand too much?

The kids in my neighborhood have done this sort of thing. The lemonade stand idea is popular but not realistic for modern kids since they just want a lot of money. lol (ETA- your idea was a good one but you supervised your son, without parental supervision you saw what happened with the other kids!)
Last year some of our neighbors were having a yard sale and another neighbor girl (age 9) would go over and by stuff for a quarter or ask for it for free and then go back to her house and try to sell it for $3 at a table she had set up. And her parents were letting her do this. She was also selling kool-aid for like $1 for one tiny cup. Needless to say she didn't sell anything! But my kids were coming to me asking for $5 to buy stuff because the neighbor girl wanted to buy a Wii. lol
I just told them it was a rip off and I wasn't giving them any money.
Just don't let your kids be involved. And if you want a good cause to support with a real lemonade stand check out Blood:Water Mission. They provide wells for African people who do not have access to clean water. They have pamphlets you can print off for free to give out at your drink stand or other donation drive.
Jesus follower, pacifist, homeschooled, homeschooling mama of 5
For there to be peace at home there must be peace in the heart. ~Lao Tzu

Last edited by Leah52; 04-15-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Leah52 is offline   Reply With Quote