Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
prairieflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cradle Cap, looking for natural home remedies

Hi there, mamas! My DS is about to turn three, and for the first time, we've got cradle cap.

I've switched him to a gentle, SLS free shampoo and body wash. He has sensitive skin and this was a good change for his skin anyway.

A dad I know suggested scrubbing his scalp with baking soda, and while it helps take away the flakes, it doesn't seem to help clear up the problem.

I've tried olive oil, baby oil (non-mineral oil varieties), and even Skin So Soft on his cradle cap, too. All seem to help it clear off the flakes, but not prevent it from coming back or clear it up.

Some mamas I know have suggested washing his hair with Head and Shoulders, but it has SLS, and just seems too harsh for my sensitive little baby's scalp.

Are there any other things I can try? Is it time to talk to his pediatrician? It's spread from a small patch at his crown toward the front of his hairline. I'm not sure what else I can try to clear this up.

We don't wash his hair excessively, just when it clearly needs it. I've read conflicting things about hair washing and cradle cap. Some sites suggest more frequent washing, others less frequent. I've tried both.

Any tips that have worked for you are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Cradle Cap, looking for natural home remedies

I always had great success with cradle cap. I don't know that there are any remedies to actually prevent cradle cap though but maybe another mama does. I personally would not use any products not intended for kids.
doodah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
prairieflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Doodah, what have you used for clearing it up?
Old 01-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

My three year old has very bad cradle cap too and on recommendation from a hair stylist, I purchased a little massage nubby at Sally's...it is an oval rubberized nubby that slips over your hand and you use it to "massage" off the scales. It is very inexpensive i.e. less than a dollar and it is working wonders. I massage in a bit of coconut oil and then massage it into her scalp and then wash with a mild/fragrance free organic baby shampoo. It seems to be working.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
prairieflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have one of those, Maureen, and we use it to massage in oils, too. It seems to help for a day or two, but then I see the scales back again. Is this something I just need to keep doing and he'll outgrow it? Does it just pass on it's own? Is treating the scales and flakes all I can do?

Should I use a conditioner in his hair too, to help prevent the dryness and flaking?
Old 01-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD was suffering from it pretty badly. What has worked for us to keep it at bay is this:
* Once a week (or when flakes appear), massage in organic olive oil and brush out flakes. Leave in for at least an hour, overnight preferred.
* Every 3 days, use Aveno sensitive skin body wash to gently wash hair (best done after the olive oil treatment). 3 days seems to work best for her - enough to keep her clean but not so much that it's drying her out.
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
prairieflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, WordMama! Tonight I used olive oil with a couple drops of TTO/Lavender EO blend, left it in for quite some time, and brushed his hair really well before his bath. Then we washed it with some good scalp scrubbing and massage, and there were no flakes, AND his hair looks and feels fantastic.

We can't use anything with SLS in it, DS and I are both sensitive to it. But we have a good, SLS-free shampoo/body wash that has proven gentle and it isn't aggravating his cradle cap.

I'll keep up with that, and see how it does. We don't wash his hair more than twice a week, unless he gets dinner or some other mess in it.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I was going to recommend the dandruff brush thing and the TTO.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

DS had it so bad all his hair fell out. A bunch of websites on Google Scholar cited a study by Tolleson et al. that recommended Borage oil as a treatment - something about borage oil having a similarity to the fatty acid that immature skin isn't producing and which can be a cause of cradle cap. (I can't find a link to the original.)

Anyway, I figured it couldn't hurt. I bought the borage oil gelcaps from Whole Foods, as I have many contact dermatitis issues myself and wanted something that was purely borage oil, with no other ingredients. You can also find lotions that contain borage oil, and I hear those work, too.

What I did was puncture the gelcap with a pin and squeeze out a few drops onto DS's scalp, after having first used a soft baby brush to remove as many of the scales as possible. Then just massage it in. Two applications per day, morning and night, and the cradle cap was gone in two days. If I was bad at remembering to do it, the cradle cap would return, but I could just start over with the same treatment.

The gelcaps were pricey - $30 for a bottle - but each gelcap has enough oil for at least two days, so there was lots more than I will ever need. Every time a friend has a baby now, I fill up a pill jar with a few gelcaps, just in case. I can't recommend it highly enough!

Last edited by Sleep deprived; 01-22-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
VWgurl619
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I heard JoJoba oil works pretty well too. I need to get myself some. My DD who is 5 months has it BAD.

http://jojobacompany.com/jojobababy.htm

https://www.facebook.com/MickeyWorldTravelSaraRobinson
VWgurl619 is offline   Reply With Quote