Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
mmjones13
Registered Users

My Mood:
Wink Nanaimo it is!

so.. I wrote a post a few weeks ago mentioning that we are moving to Canada. We are going to be living in Nanaimo, never been so I feel a little excited and very nervous. Anyone on this site from Nanaimo? If so, I'd love input on fun things to do and places to visit such as good restaurants, coffee shops, stuff for kids to do, etc..

Advertisement

mmjones13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
jelything
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Nanaimo it is!

I live a little south of Nanaimo, in Duncan (about 45 min drive).

I don't know Nanaimo really well, but there are some nice large playgrounds (Beban comes to mind, and another one down by the water but I don't know the name), and a neat indoor playground called Jumpin Jiminies... we like that one when the weather isn't good.

Parksville is just north of there, and has fantastic beaches, playgrounds, and sandcastles.

I think there's lots to do... you won't have any problems!
jelything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Bumby
Registered Users
Formerly: steph_sohier
seller

My Mood:

I grew up in Nanaimo. It is a great place to grow up. Lots of nature things, and the place is filled with natural people who recycle, CD, and think green all the time. I am sure you will love it.
Bumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
valibby
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm in Nanaimo!

Jumping Jiminy's is fun but expensive. Really small kids notice no huge difference between it and it's "lower class" counterpart, Tube N Tunnel Town at Cyber City. More than half the price! Lots of great places to walk, with and without attached playgrounds. Lots of great kids rec programs with the city. Lots of great (and free) resources for moms to stay sane, too (I've been using these).

When are you moving? And why? For work, or...?

Edited to add: It is *incredibly* hard to get a family doctor in Nanaimo. Start looking before you even qualify for MSP (the provincial health plan - 3 months residency required I think), or before if the doctor will let you sign up. Your husband might be able to even if you aren't, and usually once one family member is in the others are by default. If he's originally from Nanaimo, he may already have a family doctor. My husband's doctor from when he was 12 (25 years ago!) reinstated him as a patient. As of now, there's a new British guy at the clinic at Port Place Mall who I hear is really good (and very attractive!).

Last edited by valibby; 04-19-2010 at 07:37 PM.
valibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
New-Mommy-Sara
Registered Users
seller

Hey, I'm in Nanaimo... Been here most of my life. Expecting my Little One at the end of June (hopefully, as this is my first). Don't know when you are moving here but if you have any questions or need someone to get together with just e-mail me. sdanczak@hotmail.com

Yes, it is hard to find a Doc, but I know a really good dentist who loves new clients...LOL

Sara
New-Mommy-Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
33andunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope you love the Island - I miss it terribly, even though I'm still close by - I think once you live on the ocean, you are set on it for life. We don't get over there often enough, but we do make a point now of going over, so the kids get to play on a the beaches. I hope you love it as much we do!
PS, check out Huckleberry baby in Nanaimo for diapers.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
jelything
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valibby View Post
Jumping Jiminy's is fun but expensive. Really small kids notice no huge difference between it and it's "lower class" counterpart, Tube N Tunnel Town at Cyber City. More than half the price!
Ooooo.... so glad I read this! I didn't even know about Tube N Tunnel! Will have to check that out while the weather is still nasty!
jelything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
masja
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nanaimo here too! (Nice to see others here as well!)
Love Nanaimo, we originally moved from Edmonton 7 years ago. It's beautiful here, love the ocean and all the green!!! And yes as a PP mention, check out huckleberry baby on the north end, I swear I'm there too much! lol
Old 05-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
Malakaiii
Registered Users
seller

I live in Parksville, just north of Nanaimo! We just moved to the Island last April (from Vancouver area) and I LOVE it here.
Malakaiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
mmjones13
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi ladies,
Sorry it took so long to reply. We are living in the Departure Bay area so if ya'll are interested in having a play group let me know.. I'd love to meet some other moms and Sophia and Adrian need playmates Yes, I've heard about the doc and need to call ASAP and we found a good dentist. Thanx on the Jumping Jiminys advice bc I was tempted to take kids as it's two min from house and got coupons for it at Beaners. Anyway, let me know about the playgroup idea- I'm free all the time bc I'm not working or going to school till fall. Hope everyone's doing well
mmjones13 is offline   Reply With Quote