Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
I was asked "Are you sure you don't want to throw that diaper away?

LOL

My pediatrician and her staff know that I CD. They think my diapers are pretty cool, and realize how far cloth has come from flats and pins (no offense to mamas who prefer flats and pins)....

Well last month, Noah was really sick. My pediatrician asked me to bring in a stool sample. When I asked "What kind of container do you want it in?" The nurse said "Just bring us a dirty diaper, that's good enough."

Well, that night, he had a HUGE blow out of his SBish (thank goodness for Thirsties covers!!!).

So I put the diaper in a small wetbag and brought it in. I warned Kathy (the head nurse) that it was a really bad one. So she takes the wet bag back to their lab area. She comes back with it a little while later and asks me "Are you sure you don't want me to just throw this away?" I said "It's one of my cloth diapers." She said "I know, but it IS really bad, you weren't kidding. Are you sure you want to deal with this one, I could just throw it out for you." I was thinking "Are you friggin nuts?!? That's a THIRTY DOLLAR DIAPER!!" But instead I just smiled and said "Yeah, I'll take it, it's not that big a deal." LOL SHe was just like "Ok, if you say so."

I just knew that you other CDing mamas would get it. It's kinda funny to me now.

God bless!

Advertisement

__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
THBVsMama's Avatar
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 21,427
My Mood:
Re: I was asked "Are you sure you don't want to throw that diaper away?



A couple weeks ago my MIL offered to change DD's diaper. It was a very 'vocal' movement so I tried to warn her. She knows I use cloth but has never changed a poopy cloth diaper. I told her to go ahead and just put it in the wetbag and not to worry about rinsing it off. She brought the diaper back to me [ in the wetbag ] & was like "I think these diapers are so cute, but you might be 2nd guessing CDing for the long haul when it comes time to clean that one off".



When I got home and went to rinse it off with my sprayer it was what I consider minimal as opposed to some of her explosions.
__________________
DS (9) DD1 (5) DD2 (03/15)

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
stringbean02's Avatar
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,364
My Mood:
Re: I was asked "Are you sure you don't want to throw that diaper away?

i dont think anyone that doesnt CD realizes how much the nicer end CD diapers cost this isnt really funny, but when i first started CD DS i left him with my parents so i could go out to dinner and a movie with DH, when i came back they had thrown away all of the CD i left for him (all fuzzibunz) because he ended up having runnys and they thought it was too gross! they said that they would pay me back for them but i just told them to forget about it, i was so mad...they arent really gung ho on the whole CD thing. now i just put him in sposies when he goes over there but i just ordered some more pockets and a couple AIOs so hopefully those are grandparent friendly next time they watch him
__________________
Mama to Bro (04/07/09) and Bug (07/15/10) . Veteran's wife . RN student
stringbean02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
ho11yb's Avatar
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 3,163
Re: I was asked "Are you sure you don't want to throw that diaper away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbean02 View Post
i dont think anyone that doesnt CD realizes how much the nicer end CD diapers cost this isnt really funny, but when i first started CD DS i left him with my parents so i could go out to dinner and a movie with DH, when i came back they had thrown away all of the CD i left for him (all fuzzibunz) because he ended up having runnys and they thought it was too gross! they said that they would pay me back for them but i just told them to forget about it, i was so mad...they arent really gung ho on the whole CD thing. now i just put him in sposies when he goes over there but i just ordered some more pockets and a couple AIOs so hopefully those are grandparent friendly next time they watch him
That's awful! I'd have made them go digging though the trash for them though or pay me for them. Fuzzibunz aren't cheap! I'd be careful and warn them not to throw away your aios/pockets you're getting now so you don't lose more.
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
green_momma2007's Avatar
green_momma2007
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,349
My Mood:
Re: I was asked "Are you sure you don't want to throw that diaper away?

Well........I admit that one time the poop was just so bad that I threw the diaper away, but I think it was a prefold. My son was at that stage where they have that really sticky peanut butter like poop.
__________________
Dalila, mom and beauty junkie
Beauty Blog at http://yesimvain.blogspot.com/
green_momma2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
stringbean02's Avatar
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,364
My Mood:
Re: I was asked "Are you sure you don't want to throw that diaper away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho11yb View Post
That's awful! I'd have made them go digging though the trash for them though or pay me for them. Fuzzibunz aren't cheap! I'd be careful and warn them not to throw away your aios/pockets you're getting now so you don't lose more.
yeah we came back and they had went to walmart and got him a bunch of sposies in his size, like 200 of them, then they gave me this whole "if you cant afford diapers then we have no problem whatsoever buying them for you. we dont want you to have to use cloth diapers because you dont want to pay for "regular" diapers" we can afford diapers, but of course i dont want to pay for them...but thats not the only reason we CD. its comfier, better for the environment, theyre cute , etc.
__________________
Mama to Bro (04/07/09) and Bug (07/15/10) . Veteran's wife . RN student
stringbean02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: I was asked "Are you sure you don't want to throw that diaper away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbean02 View Post
yeah we came back and they had went to walmart and got him a bunch of sposies in his size, like 200 of them, then they gave me this whole "if you cant afford diapers then we have no problem whatsoever buying them for you. we dont want you to have to use cloth diapers because you dont want to pay for "regular" diapers" we can afford diapers, but of course i dont want to pay for them...but thats not the only reason we CD. its comfier, better for the environment, theyre cute , etc.
Oh my gosh. I HATE it that some people assume that we cloth diaper because we "can't afford "rea" diapers." I simply smile and say "I can afford disposable, but I choose to spend my money on "REAL" diapers." Then I tell them how much my diapers cost.... then they don't say much. And MOST of my diapers are in the $15-$20 range.

God bless!
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
RockinLou's Avatar
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sandy Springs, GA
Posts: 5,465
Re: I was asked "Are you sure you don't want to throw that diaper away?

OP- I hope your LO is feeling better soon! but that's pretty funny about the nurse... my Pediatrician in the States thinks it's pretty cool that we CD- and the one here in Morocco thinks it's the best thing ever!

I had my daughter in cloth at her 6 week visit- a teeny tiny swaddlebees pocket with side snaps- and all my Ped said then was "you can put that back on, I always mess up the snaps" and when she was cloth again last month (when we were travelling in the states and went for a consult on something) and when she saw the Gro Baby she was like "wow- you stuck with it! these are pretty cute!" and she managed to snap it on herself ;-)

when we took our daughter to the doctor here in morocco and she saw the cloth diapers I thought she was going to fall over from the shock! she looked at it and went on a ten minute rant about how sad it is for Moroccan babies that there are such nice things in the US and that they can't get them here... I agree with her!! I also wish it were a little easier because then I'd be able to get more fluff ;-)
__________________
Wife, Mother, WAHM, and cding nut!
DD 1-27-09 DS 6-8-11
My IHA: http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/...psca99bf95.jpg
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: I was asked "Are you sure you don't want to throw that diaper away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinLou View Post
OP- I hope your LO is feeling better soon! but that's pretty funny about the nurse... my Pediatrician in the States thinks it's pretty cool that we CD- and the one here in Morocco thinks it's the best thing ever!

I had my daughter in cloth at her 6 week visit- a teeny tiny swaddlebees pocket with side snaps- and all my Ped said then was "you can put that back on, I always mess up the snaps" and when she was cloth again last month (when we were travelling in the states and went for a consult on something) and when she saw the Gro Baby she was like "wow- you stuck with it! these are pretty cute!" and she managed to snap it on herself ;-)

when we took our daughter to the doctor here in morocco and she saw the cloth diapers I thought she was going to fall over from the shock! she looked at it and went on a ten minute rant about how sad it is for Moroccan babies that there are such nice things in the US and that they can't get them here... I agree with her!! I also wish it were a little easier because then I'd be able to get more fluff ;-)
Thank you. He got over that tummy virus FINALLY. He was sick for almost 2 weeks. DH and I were both sick for only 24 hours, same with my 4 year old. Poor baby.

That's cool that your doctors like your cloth diapers. One time I came in with Noah in a pair of baby legs under his jeans (it was REALLY cold out) so when she came in to do his exam, he was in just a onesie and his leggings. She said "You always come in with the coolest baby stuff!"

Gotta love CD friendly people

God bless!
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,154
Re: I was asked "Are you sure you don't want to throw that diaper away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbean02 View Post
yeah we came back and they had went to walmart and got him a bunch of sposies in his size, like 200 of them, then they gave me this whole "if you cant afford diapers then we have no problem whatsoever buying them for you. we dont want you to have to use cloth diapers because you dont want to pay for "regular" diapers" we can afford diapers, but of course i dont want to pay for them...but thats not the only reason we CD. its comfier, better for the environment, theyre cute , etc.
yeah, I've gotten used to the whole 'you cloth diaper because you're poor,' attitude from family. While we are not in a stable financial situation and I love how much money CDing is saving us, if I didn't care about the chemicals I would totally make money in the budget for cheap sposies.

I have learned to just give up and let the grandparents use sposies if they buy them themselves. I'll even accept the packs they buy for us and use them when I send Ladybug to either of their houses. It took all my will power to not be ungracious when MIL found out I used mama cloth and bought me those huge maxi pads to use when we were visiting them.
__________________
Catholic housewife and mama to - Ladybug (4), - Itzy Bitzy (1), and
PPD? Read this.
ltlmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.