Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
sockmonkey94
Registered Users

Did I get "taken" on eBay - Snappis? or am I paranoid?

First I have to say...I've never held a snappi and have only seen them on line. I've watched a couple YouTube videos of mamas using them in their diaper demos.
So..I wanted to get some for my daughter who's having her first baby in a few weeks and wants to cloth diaper. We saw snappi on the internet and thought AWESOME!
I'm doing the research...she's busy working full time and cutting hair on the side...and being pregnant
Not wanting to pay $3.95 a piece plus shipping
I went to eBay and watched for a good deal.
I found an auction that offered 2 new and 2 used Snappies. It was ending in the middle of the night - perfect time because most bidders are asleep. They were up to about $2.60 with $1.50 shipping. I bid and won them for $3.06.
I was thrilled...what a deal for 4 snappis.
They arrived and I'm surprised at how stiff they feel.
As I said I've never handled a snappi...only saw them on YouTube. But these seem mighthy hard to stretch. In fact I picture putting too much pressure on the baby to get the snappi on correctly.
I tried them on a good size (one yr old size) stuffed doll...using a Birdseye dishtowel for a diaper.
It worked but I wonder if they are too stiff?
On you tube it looks like the snappi just stretches with littlwe effort..and is rubbery like a rubber band.
These take quite an effort.
they measure, at rest from the package, 5 1/4 inches. When stretched they will only stretch to 8 inches.
Is this correct?
How far and how easy does a nice one stretch?
I looked at the Snappi website and one of their direction is
"Do not leave your Snappi® lying in the sun as it is not UV resistant and can reduce the effectiveness of the Snappi®. "
I have a feeling I was sold snappis that were "cooked" somehow. Maybe on a hot dashboard...or in a too hot storage area...like an attic.

Should a good snappi be sort of rubbery and bouncy?
I hate the feeling that someone has taken advantage of me.
Also...when someone says their Snappi is worn out...what do they mean? too stretched out?

Advertisement

sockmonkey94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Re: Did I get "taken" on eBay - Snappis? or am I paranoid?

nope, you should be fine. they stretch with time and aren't so stiff anymore. you need to stretch them a few times to get them pliable enough and they loosen up with age, kinda like jeans fresh out of the wash. and i've used snappi's for years at a time without them breaking or wearing down from sun exposure.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
mem9157
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

New snappies feel kinda stiff. Before you use them for the first time, you have to stretch each leg a few times. Over time, they will get stretched out and you will probably have to replace them. But that takes quite some time with heavy usage. But it sounds like you got a pretty good deal!
Old 04-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To me those sound fine. Our snappis (some new and some used) aren't super super stretchy. You want them to be kind of stiff in order for them to actuall hold the diaper together. So I'd say you got the right snappi's but hopefully someone with a little more experience can chime in!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
sockmonkey94
Registered Users

Well...maybe I am paranoid when it comes to eBay.
Thanks mama
Any chance you can measure one stretched and unstretched?
Of course you might be speaking from past experience and not have one around the house.
I see that your children are out of diapers now! They look like they are lots of fun! .
Old 04-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
Jaimelynne04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It'll tell you that you need to "prep" snappis by stretching them when you recieve them. They are kind of hard to pull at first but they don't stay that way. I think you got a really good deal on them.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Yeah no more snappi's around here. We are doing nighttime diapers only and pinning those. But your measurements sound on average about right. When a snappi is worn out it's too stretched out and will not pull the diaper taut. Yours sound pretty much fresh out of the package.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
issybissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow! i need to find me some cheap snappis from ebay! i never used them but have invested in a few (8) prefolds and a few (6) flats, and i want to get a hold of snappis so i can use the cotton on her for the summer time!
Old 04-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
sockmonkey94
Registered Users

OK mamas...I feel better again. I hate to waste money..,mine or my daughters on bad purchases. I am also buying some covers on eBay. And some covers and diaper here on FSOT.

I'm surprised at how fast all your replies came in...and now I am embarrassed for thinking someone took advantage. I have to work on that area of my personality.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
sockmonkey94
Registered Users

granitesmith is the ID of an eBay seller who sells them 2, 4, 0r 6 at a time...starting bid at .99 with $1.95 shipping.
item number 310213616595 is an example of what he sells. From the look of the ends on them I think they may be old models.
If you watch long enough you could get a good deal.
I saw one auction for 6 go for for $4.95 and 1.95 shipping - that's $1.15 each-shipped.

This is not the seller I had. And I do not know this seller. He's just someone I notice always has snappis lately.
This seller must have a train load because he sells them all day long. He probably literally bought a box car full of the old style before they changed. I wish I could do things like that!