Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation PLEASE help me out here

After the death of my grandmother.. my supply went down.. and I started giving WIlliam formula.. well I hate it.. I know I need to nurse him.. I nursed my other two well past a year. I need help on bringing back my supply .. sadly .. I dont have money for a nice pump.. so that is out the question. Is there anything I can do to help ? I nurse him 2x a day now.. he is almost 6mths... please help.. I really feel bad about it now!

Advertisement

mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: PLEASE help me out here

I've never been in this situation... but from what I know I think the answer is just to nurse, nurse, nurse and that should bring your supply back up. It's a supply and demand thing. Also, eat oatmeal and drink ovaltine.... for some reason, I've heard both of those help with supply!

As far as oatmeal goes, I don't like just plain ol' oatmeal.... but these cookies (also known as Preacher Cookies in the South) are amazingly good... I don't have supply issues... but WHOA.. get out the big bra after eating some of these!!

http://culinarilyobsessed.blogspot.c...d-cookies.html
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
lovinlife
Registered Users

Even if you have a small manual pump, maybe try pumping a couple of times a day. That might help. And drink lots of water. Aren't there some herbs you can take to help increase supply? Check on kellymom.com.
lovinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:59 AM   #4
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Stop giving him formula and nurse him alot and I mean alot your supply will come back faster than you would think. If you keep suplamenting your body wont make the milk it needs because he is getting it elsewhere. So id try nursing alot 24-7 if need be and no more bottle just my and I know women this has worked for. You can do it
ISO GMS & Wool:
Shyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
deeannielannie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyla View Post
Stop giving him formula and nurse him alot and I mean alot your supply will come back faster than you would think. If you keep suplamenting your body wont make the milk it needs because he is getting it elsewhere. So id try nursing alot 24-7 if need be and no more bottle just my and I know women this has worked for. You can do it
i couldn't agree more. i've been there.
our bodies won't make milk if it's not needed, and if he's getting some of his nutrition from formula, that's that much milk you're not going to make. it gets scary, cause you worry you won't have enough in the beginning...but you probably do, and you can watch his diapers to make sure he's peeing and pooping enough.

good luck, mama. you really can do it!
Old 02-08-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:

Plan a nursing weekend, sleep (while breastfeeding) with him, get a good book or movies and do nothing else! Dr Sears says that the night nursings are the best for keeping up supply, and the quality of milk is the best at night.
For The Love Of Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:28 AM   #7
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manna00 View Post
I've never been in this situation... but from what I know I think the answer is just to nurse, nurse, nurse and that should bring your supply back up. It's a supply and demand thing. Also, eat oatmeal and drink ovaltine.... for some reason, I've heard both of those help with supply!

As far as oatmeal goes, I don't like just plain ol' oatmeal.... but these cookies (also known as Preacher Cookies in the South) are amazingly good... I don't have supply issues... but WHOA.. get out the big bra after eating some of these!!

http://culinarilyobsessed.blogspot.c...d-cookies.html
Those work GREAT but make sure to omit the cocoa because the caffiene wont be good for your supply either!
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
Tad
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree with above suggestions of stopping formula ja just bf:ing a lot. Also, if you really want, you can rent a hospital grade pump. Call your hospital and they'll tell you where. I did this. You still need to buy the plastic part that goes to your breast (I think I paid $30?), but the pump is cheap to rent - maybe a dollar a day, if I remember right.
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Well, I wouldn’t just stop the formula. What I would do is to try and rent a pump – you should be able to rent one for $30-50 /mo and get a supplemental nursing system. A dr should be able to make a temp one from a large syringe and some tubing for you. Instead of giving him a bottle, nurse first. Then pour 75% of the amt of formula you would use into the sns and give it while ‘bf’. Then you can pump a bit afterwards.

Your supply SHOULD come back but the longer you go after birth the harder it is to build it back. And your baby may need to be trained to take the breast again as well.

Try calling your local lll for help

*hugs*
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #10
movaly1
Registered Users
seller

Also drink LOTS of water, oatmeal, you can try fenugreek tablets and there is always the mothers milk tea.
movaly1 is offline   Reply With Quote