Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Homemade bug spray that's safe for babies? Help!

Hi! I'm looking for a homemade bug spray that will be safe for my baby when he is born. It will be July, August, September in the south...a very buggy time of year!

My husband and I HATE deet after working in the woods as forest ecologists for 10+ years, we have seen (firsthand) it melt plastic, eat through bottles, and all sorts of other nastiness. I won't put it directly on my OWN skin, much less a child's skin.

Skin-so-soft is mostly mineral oil, so I can't help but think something homemade would be just as good or better.

Anyone have something that works & won't irritate baby skin? Right now I was thinking a mix of citronella, peppermint, and tea tree diluted heavily with either water or a carrier oil. But I'd love an actual recipe that works!!!

Advertisement

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
corrielainedd
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homemade bug spray that's safe for babies? Help!

Subbing
SAHM/WAHM to DD1 born Nov. 20, '08, and DD2 Oct. 12, '10. Expecting #3 end of Jan 2015 (team green) wifey to my wonderful DH !
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Cor...20931291290000
corrielainedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
goingfor3
Registered Users

Came across this info looking for something else.
The respiration of a baby or child under 5 can be slowed down or even stopped if peppermint oil or eucalyptus oil is close enough for the baby to even breathe either.

Don't know how much truth there is to it, but you may want to look it up before using peppermint oil.

Supposedly coconut oil works, but I can't vouch for this.
goingfor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingfor3 View Post
Came across this info looking for something else.
The respiration of a baby or child under 5 can be slowed down or even stopped if peppermint oil or eucalyptus oil is close enough for the baby to even breathe either.

Don't know how much truth there is to it, but you may want to look it up before using peppermint oil.

Supposedly coconut oil works, but I can't vouch for this.
OH MY GOODNESS! Wow. I'll definitely check on that! I had no idea!

Okay, so maybe no peppermint oil....but others? I love coconut oil as a moisturizer, so I'd be up for using that, even if mixed with some other EO.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

California baby makes a citronella lotion. It scores a one on the skin deep database. (that is good)

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/pro...pellent_Spray/
Old 04-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
glupton
Registered Users
seller

subbing!

anybody know for sure if the peppermint/eucalyptus oil thing posted above is true? i was gonna use some eucalyptus EO next time my LO's had a cold!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
EarthMum
Registered Users
Formerly: Fallenangell44

Quote:
Originally Posted by glupton View Post
subbing!

anybody know for sure if the peppermint/eucalyptus oil thing posted above is true? i was gonna use some eucalyptus EO next time my LO's had a cold!
I have NEVER heard of that. I have taken class's, and even sold Be young (Forever Youngs brother) EO's and have never heard of it. I have been using peppermint, and eucalyptus on my babies (diluted properly) since they were born. So have tons of the other EO moms in my classes, and no one has ever had a problem, or a small side effect. My guess is that the warning originated from someone that may have put a synthetic/contaminated oil on their baby thinking it was pure, and they got a nasty side effect.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

It is not homemade but it is all natural...two products I LOVE are Burts Bees Bug Repellent Spray-bugs won't come near us and EcoSmart Repellent spray which worked really well too on a recent camping trip.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureen73 View Post
It is not homemade but it is all natural...two products I LOVE are Burts Bees Bug Repellent Spray-bugs won't come near us and EcoSmart Repellent spray which worked really well too on a recent camping trip.
Yeah I just spent about 15minutes on skin deep researching the burts bees spray and cannot find anything on it. But I have used it on my girls with great success and from what I remember, it's literally essential oils like eucalyptus and lemongrass and citronella diluted in carrier oils. I think that was basically it. We really liked it and I think I remember that it SEEMED pretty harmless from reading the packaging. But I can't find it on skindeep.

by the way maureen, it seems I am going to run around DS quoting and agreeing with you.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #10
shelby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had heard about eucalyptus oil and vicks being concerning for their respiratory tracts but we had our own scary experience. Earlier this year my LO, then 18 mos had a horrid cold and I gave him a drop of Oregano Oil under his tongue. He did have some trouble catching his breath from the strong vapors afterward and a call to our green-friendly ped did confirm it was an airway reaction to the oil. It lasted approximately 15 mins and it was definitely concerning enough that I would not reuse it in that situation.
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote