Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
LauraJane429
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cloth diapers and Contact Dermatitis

So... after constant battles with diaper rashes that wouldn't go away with anything, I took DS2 to the pediatrician this afternoon. She said it was contact dermatitis and wrote a rX for Diaper Goo (yes, that's what it's called!). She said to keep him in sposies for the next couple of days til it's gone. No problem. But, I'm wondering if any other mama's have dealt with this. I have used three different detergents now (Planet, Rockin' Green, and Tide) and none seem to be any different. Is there a super, duper sensitive detergent that will also get the dipes clean enough. I've transitioned over to pfs and wool in hopes of getting it to clear up. Are we just not going to be able to use cloth?

Any advice/feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
Micheliala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cloth diapers and Contact Dermatitis

I've got 3 little ones with varying degrees of eczema and all the way from the pedi to the dermatologist they agree to stay far away from tide and to use dreft. And for what its worth, thats all I use with the youngest and his dipes and I've never had a stink issue in 8 months with it now, nor any build up or repelling issues. And it washes very clean with no skin irritation from it.
Micheliala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
emymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have very sensitive skin and contact dermatitis. LO isn't here yet, so I don't know if she will have it too. Detergents that have worked well for me are Country Save powder and Biokleen Free and Clear powder. We are planning on using Country Save and Rocking Green Hard Rock unscented for diaper laundry. I hope you find a good solution!
emymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
LauraJane429
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Really, Dreft? I was actually thinking about that b/c it's the only detergent I can use on his clothes without him breaking into a rash. But, I'd heard it doesn't clean them well enough? Shoot, at this point, I'm willing to give it a shot...
Old 04-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
LauraJane429
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Forgot to ask... how much do you use?
Old 04-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

We had lots of rash issues for awhile when we used biokleen. I switched to tiny bubbles and haven't had a problem since. I also try to strip my diapers every once in awhile. I don't use anything to strip them other than good old fashioned hot water. I just do a few hot water washes with no detergent for a good stripping. hope you find something that works mama!
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
KristieMcNealy
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have allergy issues here and can only use All Free and Clear. I haven't had a problem with my dipes, and I have prefolds, pockets, etc. Our doc says not to use Dreft because of the fragrance in it, but if it works for your lo's clothes it's worth a shot. I have a few other detergents that he can tolerate for clothing, but not for overnight diapers.

Blogging about women's and children's health at http://www.kristiemcnealy.com
KristieMcNealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
laceysmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

don't use dreft on your diapers. it is full of fragrance, enzymes, dyes, and fabric softeners, all of which are bad news in the diaper laundry.

we use country save and have never had issue.

how much detergent are you using? I've found my diapers get cleaner if I use the full amount recommended of detergent and then just run extra rinse to get all the bubbles out instead of using less detergent.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
maieranne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our DD has also suffered from contact dermititis and excema since birth. What is working for us now is country save and burts bees diaper ointment. We just got through a 2 month through a stretch where it seemed nothing we did helped!! I think her poo was a big culpret (from teething) then as it didn't heal even with sposies. Just within the past week I started the burts and her bottom is as clear as it's ever been.

I do 2 washes with the country save. My routine with a FL is:
Rinse/spin
cold reg. wash with 1/8 to 1/4 scoop
hot long wash with 1/3 scoop and extra rinse

Good luck! I know you will find a combo that works for you.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
Micheliala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraJane429 View Post
Forgot to ask... how much do you use?
I use the full recommended amount. I also do a couple extra rinses afterward to be sure everything is out. I do a cold wash, hot wash and extra rinses and his dipes smell very fresh I did try to use less and got stink so its the full amount now.... and like I said its been 8 months and I haven't had one issue I've always heard to never use it on dipes but it works on his clothes so... it works for us anyway. Best wishes Its so hard dealing with skin issues on babies.
Micheliala is offline   Reply With Quote