Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
LauraJane429
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cloth diapers and Contact Dermatitis

Thanks guys for all the wonderful feedback and advice. Now I need to decide whether or not to go with the Dreft or buy some Country Save... always decisions... Guess I have a little bit of time to figure it out while he's in sposies with the rX diaper cream. I'm glad to know that others have won the contact dermatitis battle with cloth diapers. It's just so frustrating and heartbreaking to see him in such pain/discomfort. I swear, I think he has about 6 or 7 different diaper rash 'solutions' and my laundry detergent stash - ie, partially used detergents - is growing, too. I think in the meantime, I will run all his dipes through lots of plain hot water cycles til I figure everything out. Thanks again.

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
Mom2Liam&BG
Registered Users

My Mood:

My 2 kiddos have both had contact dermatitis and Excema since birth! My 5.5yo son also has severe food allergies (which often goes with CD & Excema). DD is still too young to tell, so avoiding triggers) His allergist (who is head of pediatric Allergists at U of Michigan) said NO, NO, NO to Dreft!!!!! He says "All Free and Clear" and we double rinse Everything!

For diapers I use ALLEN'S Naturally (and may switch to this for all kids stuff, but it is a lot more expensive than the ALL. I spoke with the developer of Allen's who said to use 1/2 of the trial size (instead of the whole thing) because I have a front loading washer. I now just use the trial bottle to measure with. I always use the "extra water" function for kids clothes, bedding, diapers, (& my shirts & bras). Also, per my local diaper store (& B/C of the front loader), For the diapers I soak a bath towel in cold H2O and add it to the wash (It fools the washer into thinking there is more in there so it uses more water/time to wash. This simple step has helped a lot!

As for sposies, DH insists on using them when he changes her, I have used them 2-3 times during diaper-rash treatment, when DD has had a bad yeast rash (usually b/c DH put sposies on her 2-3 changes in a row), Anyway DD is much more allergic to the sposies! We tried Pampers, Huggies reg and the "natural" ones, Luvs, and several store brands. The only ones we have found she can tolerate are 7th generation. (To be fair we have not tried Earth's Best, b/c I boycott EB b/c they put egg in a stage 2 (6mos+) baby food (even though infants aren't supposed to have eggs till 12mos) and it is how we found out my son was allergic to eggs (after several very serious (potentially fatal) reactions). Officially off the soapbox!

Also, we were told to let her go diaper-less as much as possible (hard to do in MI in the winter) but really helped a lot!

Hope this helps! Hang in there!
Carma
Mom2Liam&BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #13
AHIAMOM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nak My ds has the same thing. All you can really do is deal with it. We went back to sposies for 3 weeks and it didn't help at all. This is how we have the most luck-
pfs and wool
wash in Country Save
daily bath but no soap in the water, this rinses the pee off his skin completely, I know it seems counter-intuitive but for us this makes a HUGE difference and I slather him with lotion as soon as he's out
also switching to Aveeno baby wash was helpful
He still gets break outs every now and then but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it and it just goes as mysteriously as it came.
Earn money for your searches with Swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2my4kiddos
AHIAMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:49 PM   #14
n-training
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Rinse, rinse, rinse... Keep microfiber covered up with sleeves or pf's... let the child air out, lol. Seriously though, leave him on a blanket, buck nakey, to let some air get to the important parts, and if you have a little sunshine peekin' through the window, even better! Good luck momma. hugs to you!
n-training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:01 AM   #15
mommyingreece
Registered Users

I would say that is could be also from detergent buildup....my DS has dermatitis and he was having such a problem with CDing when I wasn't rinsing his diapers out enough. Now that I have been really conscious of it, he seems to be okay. I use Hard Rock unscented if that makes a difference.
mommyingreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:04 AM   #16
MommyMeads
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you want to try country save you can go to alice.com and you get free shipping, you do have to order 6 items though so you can order 6 samples for $3.00 shipped and see if it works for your little one.
MommyMeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:55 AM   #17
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Purex F& C worked great for us. I switched to bG detergent (bascally country save) and have started having an issue again.

I'm picking up some Purex today.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #18
rkw
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Liam&BG View Post
My 2 kiddos have both had contact dermatitis and Excema since birth! My 5.5yo son also has severe food allergies (which often goes with CD & Excema). DD is still too young to tell, so avoiding triggers) His allergist (who is head of pediatric Allergists at U of Michigan) said NO, NO, NO to Dreft!!!!! He says "All Free and Clear" and we double rinse Everything!

For diapers I use ALLEN'S Naturally (and may switch to this for all kids stuff, but it is a lot more expensive than the ALL. I spoke with the developer of Allen's who said to use 1/2 of the trial size (instead of the whole thing) because I have a front loading washer. I now just use the trial bottle to measure with. I always use the "extra water" function for kids clothes, bedding, diapers, (& my shirts & bras). Also, per my local diaper store (& B/C of the front loader), For the diapers I soak a bath towel in cold H2O and add it to the wash (It fools the washer into thinking there is more in there so it uses more water/time to wash. This simple step has helped a lot!

As for sposies, DH insists on using them when he changes her, I have used them 2-3 times during diaper-rash treatment, when DD has had a bad yeast rash (usually b/c DH put sposies on her 2-3 changes in a row), Anyway DD is much more allergic to the sposies! We tried Pampers, Huggies reg and the "natural" ones, Luvs, and several store brands. The only ones we have found she can tolerate are 7th generation. (To be fair we have not tried Earth's Best, b/c I boycott EB b/c they put egg in a stage 2 (6mos+) baby food (even though infants aren't supposed to have eggs till 12mos) and it is how we found out my son was allergic to eggs (after several very serious (potentially fatal) reactions). Officially off the soapbox!

Also, we were told to let her go diaper-less as much as possible (hard to do in MI in the winter) but really helped a lot!

Hope this helps! Hang in there!
Carma

I also use Allen's liquid for my cd's. I use all free and clear for the rest of our clothes due to my sensitive skin. I tried the Allen's on my clothes before my son got here to see if we could use it. I am so sensitive any change breaks me out. I figured if I could use it that it would be ok for my son. Thankfully he was ok with it. There are times I wash his clothes in it as well. We started out with dreft on his clothes but switched to the all free and clear. The allen's was recommended to us when we bought our diapers from a local diaper dealer. We went with the liquid because there was so much of the powder and I did not want to have to pitch it if we could not use it. I use two tsp of the allens. I do a cold rinse, hot wash with 2 tsps of the allens, extra cold rinse and we seem to be fine. I have a bit of a smell now and am thinking of trying to wash the diapers in lots of hot water to get rid of it, but we have been cding part time now for 4 months without having to strip till now. Good luck. I hope you find something that works. It is so frustrating to try to switch detergents to find something that works for you.

Rhonda
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #19
JKTexas
Registered Users
Formerly: jes***ox

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maieranne View Post
Our DD has also suffered from contact dermititis and excema since birth. What is working for us now is country save and burts bees diaper ointment. We just got through a 2 month through a stretch where it seemed nothing we did helped!! I think her poo was a big culpret (from teething) then as it didn't heal even with sposies. Just within the past week I started the burts and her bottom is as clear as it's ever been.

I do 2 washes with the country save. My routine with a FL is:
Rinse/spin
cold reg. wash with 1/8 to 1/4 scoop
hot long wash with 1/3 scoop and extra rinse

Good luck! I know you will find a combo that works for you.
Is Burts bees diaper ointment cloth diaper safe? I'm planning on using microfleece liners.
JKTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #20
maieranne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiknox View Post
Is Burts bees diaper ointment cloth diaper safe? I'm planning on using microfleece liners.
pinstripesandpolkadots.com says it could cause buildup on pockets and best to avoid with cloth diapers.
That being said I am sticking with it. I am trying to avoid using it on my pockets or put a liner down.....I use natural inners except for at night and we haven't had any trouble with it washing out. It has been the only cream that has worked for us and I've tried (Calif baby, method, magic stick, buttr, avenno).