Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #21
lmcaswel
Registered Users

Re: Cloth diapers and Contact Dermatitis

I saw a thread about cloth diapers and contact dermatitis and was wondering if you ever came up with a solution. My daughter has very sensitive skin and we've had to eliminate detergent and use soap on clothes to deal with ezcema. I wash her diapers in Rockin Green. I washed my older daughter's diapers in Charlie's Soap but that didn't seem to be doing the job with the new washer. During the day I change her constantly but at night I need a way for her to stay in her diaper when she sleeps through the night. We are constantly switching back and forth between disposables to get the rash to go away but as soon as she sleeps in a cloth diaper it comes back again. We've tried disposables at night but even the stay dry type has leaked. Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks.

Advertisement

lmcaswel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #22
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcaswel View Post
I saw a thread about cloth diapers and contact dermatitis and was wondering if you ever came up with a solution. My daughter has very sensitive skin and we've had to eliminate detergent and use soap on clothes to deal with ezcema. I wash her diapers in Rockin Green. I washed my older daughter's diapers in Charlie's Soap but that didn't seem to be doing the job with the new washer. During the day I change her constantly but at night I need a way for her to stay in her diaper when she sleeps through the night. We are constantly switching back and forth between disposables to get the rash to go away but as soon as she sleeps in a cloth diaper it comes back again. We've tried disposables at night but even the stay dry type has leaked. Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks.
My son had "diaper dermatitis" (official description from the dermatologist). I had to change his stash over to diapers that had stay-dry inners and breathable fleece or wool covers. He would be rashy with stay-dry inner/PUL cover (or any of the PUL pockets) AND rashy with natural fiber inners and PUL, fleece, or wool cover. I'd suggest trying a breathable cover to start, and then maybe trying a stay-dry liner at night to see if it helps.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #23
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What kind of diapers are you using? I had lots of skin problems with ds when we used pockets (bgos) and cd-friendly detergent. His skin cleared up wonderfully when we switched to organic cotton and Tide Free.
I had similar results with dd1; pockets/synthetics gave her weird rashes even when using Tide. Cotton worked better for her too. I think the suedecloth basically kept them too dry and sort of rubbed their skin wrong.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #24
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I've had the same issues with dd for months now off and on (rash/eczema on her inner thighs) and have had to switch to sposies for overnights. I was on the verge of giving up CDs completely, but a mama here suggested using covers with cotton outers since they're softer. So, I'm switching her whole stash...again...

I don't have any advice if its a rash on the bum other than to say that it's often a process of elimination, and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own
Old 09-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #25
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcaswel View Post
Thanks.
Rockin Green caused major dermatitis on my son because it didn't clean diaper sufficiently. His rash went away when I bleached the diapers and switched over to Tide. I now use the full dose of Tide in a hot wash, then run a second hot wash to rinse. Beautifully clear skin!

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #26
mars817
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son has what the dr calls contact dermatitis/eczema on his boy parts and it seems to be so individualized. What works for people here doesn’t work for us. We had gone back to disposables and that is when it started 6 or more months ago. I’ve been trying cloth to see if that helps and the best option for him seems to be cjs plus and bg suedecloth. All natural fibers are not good and fleece isn’t either. It’s debatable to me if disposables or cloth is better too. I would love to find a solution!
mars817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #27
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars817 View Post
My son has what the dr calls contact dermatitis/eczema on his boy parts and it seems to be so individualized. What works for people here doesnít work for us. We had gone back to disposables and that is when it started 6 or more months ago. Iíve been trying cloth to see if that helps and the best option for him seems to be cjs plus and bg suedecloth. All natural fibers are not good and fleece isnít either. Itís debatable to me if disposables or cloth is better too. I would love to find a solution!
I also found that suedecloth (and some really fine fleece like Thirsties) keeps my son's skin happy, especially overnight. During the day he's fine with cotton/bamboo as long as we change every few hours.

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote