Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
farmfresh
Registered Users
seller

2 year old dd's teeth are yellow. help!

ive noticed for a while that our dd's teeth seem to have a yellow tint to them. i showed them to our dentist about 6 months ago and he said he didnt notice anything. they seem to be getting worse, and dh has noticed it as well. ive not really mentioned it to anyone else, and nobody has brought it up to me either, but i suspect that if we are noticing, others are too.

any ideas on what is causing this? we have well water, so no flouride in the water. i was giving her the prescription flouride drops but we ran out and i forgot to refill it until recently. i noticed her teeth starting to turn yellow before we ran out though, if i remember correctly. we get the childrens toothpaste for her, but i noticed it doesnt have flouride in it either. oh, and yes, we brush her teeth every day.

thanks.

Advertisement

farmfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
TofuScramble
Registered Users
Formerly: DesertMomma

My Mood:
Re: 2 year old dd's teeth are yellow. help!

genetics?
My kids baby teeth were white as snow... my 2 oldest adult teeth have grown in off-white, I asked the dentist and he said it's part genetics, and also for some kids, they whiten over time. I've noticed my 10yo teeth are finally starting to look more white and less "dingy". They all have good dental hygiene habits.

Sorry I can't help with baby teeth though. I don't know.
TofuScramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I looked it up on google... It doesn't say much. The only article I could understand, doesn't actually sound like what you are experiencing.

Quote:
Before the age of eight, children’s tooth enamel is still forming and therefore vulnerable to yellowing agents that could linger in their adult years. If children are given too much tetracycline (in an antibiotic for colds), their teeth can acquire a yellow-brown to gray-blue stain. Secondly, if children ingest a lot of fluoride (e.g. from swallowing toothpaste) they can get fluorosis, which causes chalky-white patches or lines on the teeth. Some dentists believe that children under 5 swallow nearly all of their toothpaste – so measure your child’s dose sparingly. Note that pregnant women should avoid these chemicals, as well, due to the effects on the embryo.
Besides, it says "antibiotics for colds". Which makes me think they didn't actually think things through when they were writing.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 04-26-2010 at 05:53 PM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
1orange23
Registered Users
seller

My son's front teeth was yellow what he was 1. The dentist said it was the beginning of cavities. He then gave a flouride which I have to put about pea size on my son's teeth every day. After a few months, the cavities stopped but now my son has a yellow line on his 4 front teeth and nothing we can't do to get rid of it.
1orange23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Go back to the dentist and see what he says. Or try a different dentist.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
emy_lou
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmfresh View Post
we get the childrens toothpaste for her, but i noticed it doesnt have flouride in it either. oh, and yes, we brush her teeth every day.

thanks.
I was going to ask both of these questions. Since you do brush her teeth daily, maybe its just the well water? Maybe try regular adult toothpaste that has the fluoride? Just in case. I mean, I know it tastes yucky to kids, But if that helps then maybe thats what you need to do. KWIM? How old is she? I'm almost positive by saying, if shes over the age of 3, adult toothpaste would be OKAY to use! But ask your dentist and pediatrician just in case!
emy_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

My kids had white as snow and brush twice a day. But they had (both on same schedule) 4 teeth at 4 months. 8 teeth at 8 months. Full set at 12 months. 2 yr molars at 16months.

SOOOOOOOO top that with a MILLION drugs they are/have been on, they are getting yellow. Nothing we can do about it They don't get soda, straight juice, candy or chocolate milk.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:26 AM   #8
Kanzan
Registered Users
Formerly: col****mama
seller

My Mood:

Has your daughter been on any antibiotics lately? This happens to my son when he takes penicillin but it is easily remedied. What happens when he takes antibiotics is that the bacteria in his mouth that take up more staining flourish more than those that do not which are repressed by the drug so the teeth become yellow. One trip to the dentist for a cleaning to remove the stain and they are back to being white. HTH!
Kanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:49 AM   #9
whirlwindwoman
Banned

My Mood:

My middle son had spots that yellowed, and then turned brown. Turns out he had brittle enamel and needed a full mouth restoration. He's since lost many of those teeth and his adult teeth are growing in fine.

I would head back to the dentist and have it looked at again.
whirlwindwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
farmfresh
Registered Users
seller

i have an appt scheduled for myself next month and will take my dd w/ me and ask him about it again. our dentist doesnt require the little ones to have their own appt, he just sits them on mommies lap and looks at their teeth from there. they day i asked him about it, he had already glanced at her teeth, but she wouldnt let him look again after she figured out what was going on. so, he probably didnt have yellow teeth on his mind when he looked at hers.

shes not been on any meds, just a multivitamin and the flouride drops, now that i am remembering those again.
farmfresh is offline   Reply With Quote