Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
mc_squared
Registered Users

Ottawa moms - Anyone given birth at Montfort Hospital?

Hi Ottawa mamas!

I'm going to be giving birth at Montfort Hospital in a couple months...I'm just curious if anyone else has given birth there? What did you think? What did they have available during labour in the way of comforts? (birthing balls, tub, shower, etc.?) Did you get to stay in the same room the entire time or did you have to pay extra to stay since it was a private room?

Thanks!

Advertisement

mc_squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Sandibeach
Registered Users

Re: Ottawa moms - Anyone given birth at Montfort Hospital?

I gave birth there 2 months ago... it was a crash c-section, so I didn't really labour at all - it was a emergency, but I can confirm they do have the birthing balls (you have to ask them to bring you one, not automatically in the room), the big tub and shower.. the rooms are huge, new, clean and very nice and private. You get the first night free after the birth, but then after you need to pay if you want to stay in that room, otherwise they move you to a semi-private or ward room. The private room is $210 per night. I ended up staying six days due to complications with me and baby and the private room was well worth the money. THey have a "tour" before you give birth. I suggest you take it.. I wouldn't hesitate to go back there... I loved them... care was excellent!
Sandibeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
petuniaof3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Both ds2 and 3 were born at the Montfort. The new rooms are really really nice. Tons of room to move around, bathtubs, balls, and all other equipment to help with the birth. If you pay for the private, you get to stay in the same room you laboured in which is great. We used our government insurance and I think it only cost about $30 a day afterwards and it was worth every penny.

As for the staff, I had midwives but had to stay longer with ds3 due to complications. I found that the nurses were too quick to offer a bottle or take ds to the nursery but otherwise it was okay. There is also a Tims located on the ground floor which DH really appreciated.

Hope everything goes well.
petuniaof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
mc_squared
Registered Users

Thanks for the info! I knew it would be a long shot to find mamas on here who had been to Montfort, but figured I would try...

Petunia, I'm surprised that the nurses offered your DS a bottle/nursery...I thought the hospital was supposed to promote breastfeeding? That's a little worrisome to me...I have a fear of some random nurse offering my baby a bottle or trying to take them away. Knowing that, I'll be prepared if it does come up and be firm about my intentions.

I am planning on doing the hospital tour, but it's not until June and I'll be 36 wks along by then, so I'm hoping to collect all the info I can beforehand. Plus, they only offer a slide show/presentation, no actual tour of the rooms . It's great to know they do have tubs and showers in the rooms; I never got to labour in the water with my first, but this time I am definitely going to plan to!

How about respecting your birth wishes...were the nurses receptive to "natural" requests and not simply going with what is standard protocol? Were you offered assistance during labour with coping strategies, did you feel you were confined to the bed when you didn't need to be, were you given options (ie. pushing not lying down) or did they just act and not bother asking what your wishes were?
mc_squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
Hailey
Registered Users
seller

Kinda OT, but I was SUPPOSED to give birth to DS there, had we not moved literally a week before he was born. I hated having my prenatal visits there! The waiting room was small, and there was no A/C(this was in the summer of 2006 while they were doing some major renovations, not sure if it is still like that). I am a non-french speaker, and the nurses would always start off in French while they led me to where ever I was going, but they always had their backs to me while they spoke so I would literally have to yell at them to speak English cause I couldn't understand them, lol.
Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
fkonkal
Registered Users

My Mood:

I gave birth at the Montfort in Sept of '09. I was under a midwife and had a transfer of care and induction due to pre-eclampsia, and overall I have happy with my experience. My first two children were with midwives and homebirths so this was my first 'medical' experience with pregnancy and birthing.

I stayed in the same room from admission to release, although our insurance through dh's work paid for the room. I think that the ward was full so they would have left us there anyway.

There was a birthing ball available, and I laboured in the tub/shower as well. I'm not sure about what help/support the staff would give because my midwife stayed with us as labour support. She did intermittent monitoring of the heartbeat with the portable machine, but that was a bit awkward, but at least they let me move around even with the pit. They were a bit slow when I asked for an epi, but they left baby with me after birth and only took him a few feet away to be weighed after about 45minutes. He only left the room for the PKU and jaundice tests etc., but dh went with him. At one point, his temps were a little low, so they had him wrapped in warmed blankets, but he was fussing so I took him out of the blankets and put him skin to skin with me in bed, and had a nap and I remember the nurse coming in to check on us and just smiling and walking out. So, I had no trouble with co-sleeping with my newborn in a hospital bed from them.

I did have a big argument during labour with the OB about refusing the drugs for GBS+, which I wasn't happy about. But really, that was the only negative part.

OH, and the parking fees are highway robbery! Buy a multipass of some sort. Like a prepay for X number of uses or for X number of days. Otherwise you will end up spending an arm and leg especially if you have to have any appointments there as well as birthing.

Good luck.
fkonkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #7
petuniaof3
Registered Users

My Mood:

The staff were pretty good, the parking IS highway robbery, and yep if you're in an Ottawa hospital you need to be prepared to deny bottles and formulas. And if they absolutely insist LO needs formula, make sure they do it with a syringe or some other sort of alternative to a bottle. (Queensway Carleton is the absolute worst, I've had two friends where nurses have spirited away newborns to plunk bottles in the mouths )

The slide show isn't as good as seeing the rooms but it is still pretty comprehensive. Good luck!
petuniaof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
momk2009
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my sister had my niece there last March. I can ask for you!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:52 AM   #9
shangrila
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm shocked that mamas are saying they offered bottles there!
I found them very supportive of breast feeding.
I had dd there in November 2009. They were wonderful (nurses were amazing, though very very young). We had midwives, but ended up with an emergency c-section (hidden cord, dropped hb, etc.).
My milk took a long time to come in and on the first few nights one of the nurses actually got me to express 10 drops of milk/colostrum onto a plastic spoon and fed it to dd because she was so tired at one point!
Right after the c-sec I was really happy to have a midwife though. She brought dd down and got her to try bf'ing on each side when I couldn't move. That was awesome. Not sure if the nurses would have done that.

Care was superb. Rooms are huge and really comfy (as they go). I got to labour in the huge bathtub.
Labour was really quick though so didn't use anything else there.
shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
Seun Designs
Registered Users
Formerly: OceanSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by petuniaof3 View Post
(Queensway Carleton is the absolute worst, I've had two friends where nurses have spirited away newborns to plunk bottles in the mouths )
I am so glad I had a midwife there then! Ds never left my sight, except when dh was holding him and I left 3 hours after he was born.
Hidden Element
Seun Designs is offline   Reply With Quote