Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Ottawa moms - Anyone given birth at Montfort Hospital?

Generally the nurses were great. We had a midwife too but I had bleeding postpartum so had to stay an extra day. But our middle of the night nurse was having an off night so when I was worried about DS3 wanting to suck all the time (later found out it was his first growth spurt and normal) she offered to take him into the nursery and give him a bottle. DH and I were both a little shocked and told her that we were fine coping.

It's always good to be prepared for everything. And yes, the rooms are fantastic with a Pizza Hut a walk away for DH (and a midnight snack to fetch for mom )

I'm sure you'll have a great experience there.

petuniaof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #12
Registered Users

I actually spoke with a woman I work with who gave birth at Montfort, and her experiences with the nurses were great as well. They were very understanding of her wishes and more than happy to go along with them (ie. when a nurse came to get her baby for some tests, her DH was sleeping but she insisted on one of them accompanying baby, so they patiently helped her out of bed and to the nursery ~ she had had a c-section).

It sounds like perhaps an exception rather than a rule that a baby would be offered a bottle. With my first, I gave birth at a forward-thinking hospital in Cobourg that was very BFing friendly, but even still I encountered quite a few nurses who just weren't that experienced in helping with BFing issues. I find it truly sad that they aren't, since new mothers will most often trust a nurse's recommendation unless they know otherwise. I had read Dr. Newman's book on BFing and that is honestly what got me through the first few months of latch issues and pain. Nonetheless, I think I would have been shocked too if a nurse had offered a bottle just because baby was nursing a lot!

I'm heading in for my hospital "tour" (presentation) next Wednesday so I should get to see pictures of the awesome rooms I have heard so much about! I've since started studying Hypnobabies so I'm armed with info on the type of birth I want!
mc_squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
Registered Users

I gave birth with a midwife at monfort and I had a great experience. Nurses came to help since my second midwife was stuck in a snowstorm. They were really nice.

And the room look great since they have been renovated...
Mousseline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #14
Registered Users

Based on my own personal experience:

Some of the pros:
The rooms are really nice, clean, spacious
Nice Nursing staff
Staff did not push on the choice of forumula vs nursing

Some of the cons:
Doctors are part of a team who have a rotating schedule for deliveries so you may have an assigned doctor throughout the pregnancy but then have a completely different doctor delivering the baby.

The birthing center seems to be quite busy so you may have to wait a long time in triage to get into your room. In my case, even the triage area was overcrowded so I was very uncomfortable and was not given much direction.

Once I was assigned a room, the anesthesiologist was busy so I had to wait for the Epidural which later ended up not working when needed most.

Once my baby was ready to arrive, the doctor on duty was busy delivering babies on the floor so I had a 2 hr wait (my baby's head was not in the proper position for birth so we needed assistance). During this 2 hr wait, I was fully dilated with continual contractions and no pain relief. In my case, they needed atleast 1 additional doctor to cover the activities on the floor at that time.

My birthing plan was ignored - I did not want to use foreceps unless my baby was in distress. I question whether the use of foreceps was just a result of my doctor's comfort level or just convenience - you can certainly deliver a baby much faster once foreceps are used. I used less than 30 minutes of the doctors time in the whole process. Recovery was very slow - lots of stitches.

My sister-in-law had a similar, more difficult experience for her first and after hearing of her second birth at Montfort, I will try the General Hospital for my next delivery. At this time, I have nothing to compare my experience against but I think having a dedicated doctor will have a huge positive impact for me.
g2ggirl is offline   Reply With Quote