Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
elimination diet questions

I just noticed my other thread no longer has any replies. I guess they were lost during the server switch????

Anyway, last night I wrote a 9 page letter to dh telling him how I feel about everything; how I think ds really should be on breastmilk instead of the formula (especially since he had a mucusy poop with blood in it this morning, and has pooped 4 times today!). Dh said okay but I have to write down EXACTLY what foods I'm going to avoid, and don't cheat. And decide how long I'll stick to this before re-evaluating.

I'm going to keep breastfeeding!

I'm going to avoid:
dairy
soy
eggs
nuts
pork
beef
seafood
tomatoes
citrus
wheat
corn
chocolate
caffeine
berries

Sound good? Is pineapple considered a citrus? What about the cornstarch in baking powder? Is there a corn-free alternative? I'm baking muffins, etc with rice flour, rice milk, and egg replacer but I need baking powder.

I'm going to stick with those restrictions for 1 month and see how it goes. I don't think I was giving eliminations enough time before. 5 days on Alimentum has shown me that I'm not ready to quit breastfeeding!

Advertisement

3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
Lasciate
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: elimination diet questions

Pineapple would be considered a citrus (I am sensitive to citrus fruit and pineapple is one of the worst).
Lasciate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Just a question but have you just tried getting rid of DAIRY products not the other stuff?? It could be JUST a dairy sensitivity and you wouldn't need to get rid of the other stuff. Also remember it does take like 3 weeks for everything to be out of your system. Bfing will be the BEST thing for you lo if he is allergic to dairy, it helps them build immunities toward other allergies and it makes getting nut. to them easier since A LOT comes from mommy!! WTG on sticking with it you should be sooo proud of yourself!! Good luck!
mommy21princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy21princess View Post
Just a question but have you just tried getting rid of DAIRY products not the other stuff?? It could be JUST a dairy sensitivity and you wouldn't need to get rid of the other stuff. Also remember it does take like 3 weeks for everything to be out of your system. Bfing will be the BEST thing for you lo if he is allergic to dairy, it helps them build immunities toward other allergies and it makes getting nut. to them easier since A LOT comes from mommy!! WTG on sticking with it you should be sooo proud of yourself!! Good luck!
Yeah, I tried just dairy a long time ago. He does definitely seem to be sensitive to that. Soy, pork, and nuts also seem to cause a reaction (lots of crying and nasty poops, plus silent reflux symptoms). The problem is just eliminating those 4 things didn't totally help him either. So, I decided to get a little more drastic and really try to get him better. I'll start adding stuff back in once he's feeling better. I really need to do this right this time because I know dh is tired of me changing my mind on what I think is gonna work!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
zacksmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awwww...Hugs, hun. I feel your pain. My son had green mucousy bloody poops too, which turned out to be caused by dairy & corn allergies. While we awaited the allergy testing results I was on a diet much the same as yours. I basically ate unseasoned brown rice, baked chicken, and steamed carrots for 2 weeks straight. Blah, but worth it! 3 weeks after starting the elimination diet, his poops were back to normal and we had the blood results that it was corn & dairy, and I could re-introduce all the other foods one by one.

I would def talk to your dr. about allergy testing. (RAST testing) My dr. didn't even suggest it until I told him that I WOULD NOT give my child formula even if I had to LIVE on brown rice alone for the next year, lol. I hate how quickly dr.s suggest formula.

You have to be really careful reading labels. My son couldn't even have the Alimentum because of the casein. He was THAT sensitive to dairy. It didn't matter that it was predigested and hypoallergenic. Actually, all formulas on the market have either corn, dairy, or both in them. That same dr. that was so quick to suggest switching to formula, later told me that I could never ever give my child even a supplemental bottle of formula because it would make him very very sick. I shudder to think that if I had followed his advice and switched my son to formula, my milk would have dried up before we finally discovered the problem and I would have had one very very sick boy on my hands. It would have been next to impossible to find donor milk that was corn & dairy free.

Oh, btw, Tapioca flour is a fantastic substitute for cornstarch. Arrowroot (in the spice aisle) works well too, but is super expensive. I prefer the tapioca flour.

GL! Follow your instincts mama!

Jess
zacksmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

If you're concerned about baking powder as a leavening agent, I'd go looking for passover recipes online. I don't have any, but since leavening is given up for passover, you may be able to find something that works for you that way. Sorry I can't be more help. I sure hope you're able to get things figured out for your DS and your sanity soon.
ceilismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:52 AM   #7
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i just wanted to offer a :hug as we've BTDT and still going strong on a partial ED

FWIW it took over 3 weeks to gett all offenders out of my system. sometimes i can take more than 1 mont. be patient and WTG on wanting to go at it again!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2007, 01:21 AM   #8
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I saw your other posted and responded but I bet it got lost.....anyway big to you mama, I have BTDT too. My dh wanted me to just give formula too since it was soo much work emliminating everything and then sometimes I'd "cheat" just a little and would pay for it and he would always say "either stick to it or give him formula".....it's hard I did no dairy, soy, eggs, or nuts...after we did the basic ed and added back things and stuck with it for a year...now he can handle everything but peanuts which he is allergic too and we carry an epi pen for .....it's just a long process but TOTALLY worth it IMO, nothing is better then Mamas Milk for a baby!! I would seriously do just about ANYTHING to bf my babies....

We will be here to support you....listen to you vent...yell...scream....anything!! Keep us updated.

Oh I think I asked too in the last thread if you have ever taken him to an allergist??

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:11 AM   #9
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm NAK so this will be short, but we are going through a very similar thing here - right now I'm off nuts, chocolate, caffeine, wheat, corn and dairy.

One thing that has helped more than anything was taking Slippery Elm - 4 capsules 3 times a day. (I take it, he gets it through BM). Also, we get his reflux meds compounded fresh every week and have the flavoring left out (shelf life issue).

There is some new research regarding probiotics and colic/reflux...we're looking into infant probiotics in BM bottles...may be worth looking into there as well.

Good luck...I know the diet is tough...I've been frustrated with it often, but it's worth it!

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #10
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
I'm NAK so this will be short, but we are going through a very similar thing here - right now I'm off nuts, chocolate, caffeine, wheat, corn and dairy.

One thing that has helped more than anything was taking Slippery Elm - 4 capsules 3 times a day. (I take it, he gets it through BM). Also, we get his reflux meds compounded fresh every week and have the flavoring left out (shelf life issue).

There is some new research regarding probiotics and colic/reflux...we're looking into infant probiotics in BM bottles...may be worth looking into there as well.

Good luck...I know the diet is tough...I've been frustrated with it often, but it's worth it!
I've got probiotics for ds, I need to be more consistent giving them to him.

What's the slippery elm helping? Reflux or intestinal stuff?