Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:
Re: elimination diet questions

You meed to PM my sister (babygirlsmom1005) she has a lot of information regarding similar circumstances, she is BFing a 16 month old developmentally delayed DD who has a long list of allergies and because of medical problem has also been diapgnosed with failure to thrive.

Her DD is allergic to : Dairy, soy, wheat/gluten, eggs, latex as of the last allergy test (more may be added soon) but yet she is still able to BF, she has just had to adjust her diet as well and I know she could offer you lots of information, support and BTDT understanding. She is really knowledgable to the hidden and not so obvious sources of the above mentioned allergies.

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #12
BarbieAnn79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel for you and want to give you serious props for still breastfeeding! My DD is allergic to dairy only. She is getting G tube fed as well as breastfeeding. As far as formulas go, the statement about all formulas contain corn or dairy or both, there are a few out there called EleCare and Neocate,which are amino acid based and by prescription only (not sold in stores at all) which seem to work ok for kids who are allergic to everything (including corn which is odd because there is corn syrup solids in it.We add this powder, EleCare (which is concidered medical food, just standard formula) to my expressed breastmilk to add extra calories for her G tube feeds and she does just fine. (she is not allergic to corn, however, just dairy) I am on an elimination diet for all things dairy/with dairy including lactose, casien , and whey, or anything else derived from dairy. I drink rice , just because I think it tastes better than soy.
It is a boring diet indeed, and with that long list, you are way more limited tham me! I had to go non dairy for my DD who is almost 4 now as well, she weaned when she was 2 yrs 7 mos and we discovered her allergy at 9 months...when she weaned my youngest DD (Kirsten) was one month old. I too was pushed to do formula.. but i didnt give up and after eliminating everything we narrowed it down to dairy.i Plan on pumping/breastfeeding as long as I can and she will.. until she is 2 ...3..? longer? (she is now 15 1/2 months) stay strong and know that you are doing a great thing!
Old 02-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #13
aschrimp
Registered Users

Good for you, mama. I've btdt (still doing some of it), and it's worth it. When I would want to cheat, I'd think of my boy, and how important this was for him. It was the worst the first time I went to dinner with the family and we knew the waitress and she comp'ed us all giant cheesecake slices. It's *hard* not to cheat sometimes.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #14
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I posted on your other thread, here: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d=1#post727996

My DD also had silent reflux that required surgery to fix it due to she was aspirating when she refluxed, causing many other problems....have you talked with the pedi about getting on some reflux meds. if it is that bad? Also for the reflux, are you holding your DS up for at least 30 mins. after every feeding, is his bed elevated?
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:37 AM   #15
BarbieAnn79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlsmom1005 View Post
I posted on your other thread, here: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d=1#post727996

My DD also had silent reflux that required surgery to fix it due to she was aspirating when she refluxed, causing many other problems....have you talked with the pedi about getting on some reflux meds. if it is that bad? Also for the reflux, are you holding your DS up for at least 30 mins. after every feeding, is his bed elevated?
hey you! I see that you are here now!
I know you from parent-2-parent! glad to see that you are doing cloth now!
Old 02-12-2007, 07:22 AM   #16
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlsmom1005 View Post

He was on zantac for a month (from 1 mo old to 2 mo old) and it didn't really seem to help much. Being off of dairy, as well as just letting him get a little older, did help some. Symptoms returned one day when I ate almonds. He's not too bad. The main reason I'm doing this diet now is to try to help with the gassiness and mucusy/bloody poops. He cries and fusses quite a bit so I know he's hurting. But he's not doing the hiccup/gulpy thing that clued me into the silent reflux. At least not that often. That gives me hope that the no-dairy WAS helping him, but I didn't give it long enough to help his intestines too. But might as well eliminate the other foods too to try to get him happy sooner. I can always add them back in one-by-one later.
3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote