Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ok .. I am going to cry!

well Iposted the other day.. about how I needed to get my supply up bc after the death of my grandmother.. yada yada.. well I AM NOW SICK... yes.. on meds for 10 days!!! And cant nurse william.. My dr had to give me 2 shots..and almost 3,000mg of meds each day.. bc I let a sinus infection get that bad.. so now.. No nurseing.. at all.. I ended up getting a pump... waiting for the parts to come in.. ( Purely yours pump..my SIL is letting me have it ) and I pumped.. I got 3 ozs.. then pumped 2 hours later.. got 1 oz... I want to cry.. I feel sooo bad.. I nursed my other two passed a year.. and I cant even get william to 6mths!!!!!... please help me ladies.. 10 days of no nursing.. just pumping..

Advertisement

mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
funda62
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Ok .. I am going to cry!

Keep pumping every two hours. Also, talk to your doc about half life of the medicines. Many medicines are safe to nurse with if you wait a specific amount of time between taking them and then nursing. So for example if you take the meds at 8am, pump and dump at 10am, you should probably be safe to nurse at 11. If your doc doesn't know or isn't supportive find another doc!
Old 02-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda62 View Post
Keep pumping every two hours. Also, talk to your doc about half life of the medicines. Many medicines are safe to nurse with if you wait a specific amount of time between taking them and then nursing. So for example if you take the meds at 8am, pump and dump at 10am, you should probably be safe to nurse at 11. If your doc doesn't know or isn't supportive find another doc!
He said that he doesnt think any kinds of meds are safe... he is a hippie dr..LOL.. he also thinks my son shouldnt get cereal till well after 6mths!! and breastfeed for 2 years..
Old 02-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbehaven007 View Post
He said that he doesnt think any kinds of meds are safe... he is a hippie dr..LOL.. he also thinks my son shouldnt get cereal till well after 6mths!! and breastfeed for 2 years..
And he is telling you to not nurse while on your meds? Doesn't he know that 10 days might mean the differance of your DS nursing at all? Docs make me so mad sometimes I would talk to the pharmicist
Old 02-10-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
funda62
Registered Users
seller
seller

Honestly I think I'd ask for a second opinion. I know it is safer with no meds, but many many mommas (including self) breastfeed very successfully even on Class C drugs.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

I'd check with LLL, because unless there's a proven danger in the meds you're taking (which seems odd to me, not that I'm an expert or anything close to it) it would seem to me that the harm caused by switching between formula and breastmilk (and possibly having your supply dry up as you were worried about before the meds came up) would be worse than what any antibiotic (which your kiddo migh be prescribed if he were sick) that might pass through your milk. That's just my opinion, though.
ceilismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilismom View Post
I'd check with LLL, because unless there's a proven danger in the meds you're taking (which seems odd to me, not that I'm an expert or anything close to it) it would seem to me that the harm caused by switching between formula and breastmilk (and possibly having your supply dry up as you were worried about before the meds came up) would be worse than what any antibiotic (which your kiddo migh be prescribed if he were sick) that might pass through your milk. That's just my opinion, though.
He is on meds too.. maybe if he nursed it would be to much?? I dont know.. and he knows I gave him formula.. I guess that is why he wants me to take the meds and not nurse him.. IDK... I was REALLY sick the other day..and I just wanted to be in and out of there.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:09 AM   #8
Dawnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honey, PM me what meds you are on! I'm a registered nurse and I worked in L&D for 7 years. There are very few meds that require you to stop b******. Seriously. The doc is a shcmuck for doing this to you! If you pm me what meds I'll get back to you. BTW, if Rocephin was what he gave you in the shot I've bf'ed after getting it!

If you don't want PM me the meds or just want to look for yourself, TW Hale is THE guru of meds and lactation. He extensively tests the milk of mothers on meds to see exactly how much med in what form is excreted in milk. He wrote Medications and Mother's Milk, which is our lactation bible here at the hospital. There is also a board where healthcare professionals can ask him questions. I'm sure most of the meds you're probably on are covered if you want to take a look at his site. Just click "Guests Enter Here" on this page: http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/medi...orumspage.html

Last edited by Dawnn; 02-11-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Dawnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:13 AM   #9
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I agree with pp very few meds aren't safe while bfing......as far as your supply you could try some fenugreek or goats rue something to get your supply up.....domperidone is awesome too and by far the most effective, but it's hard to get. PM me if you want info on it.....it saved our nursing relationship when my supply DROPPED a ton from stress/anxiety and ds being soooooo colicky.....any just pm if you want info.....I think I already said that though

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:24 AM   #10
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope you feel better soon!

Do check hales website - he should be president in my opinion!!! :lol: