Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2007, 04:17 AM   #11
funda62
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Ok .. I am going to cry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonphishers View Post

I hope you feel better soon!

Do check hales website - he should be president in my opinion!!! :lol:

He is phenomanal. I used his info to fight with my DD's pediatrician (who had known me 5 minutes and insisted I stop bfing at once )

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2007, 07:30 AM   #12
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda62 View Post

He is phenomanal. I used his info to fight with my DD's pediatrician (who had known me 5 minutes and insisted I stop bfing at once )
I'm curious. Care to share that story?
ceilismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:39 AM   #13
Raquelita
Registered Users
seller

Go here and see if the meds you are taking are safe - and if they're not, ask your dr. to switch your meds to something that is ok! There is *no* reason that a sinus infection treatment should preclude you from bf'ing for 10 days.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/index.html
Old 02-11-2007, 08:00 AM   #14
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

The PP are right. I have chronic sinusitis and get a lot of sinus infections. I have never had to give DS formula because of my meds...I BF him while on sinus infection meds all of the time.

My doc is a bit of a hippy doc himself...but he KNOWS that I cannot FF DS (food allergies) and makes sure to find meds that I can take.

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:48 AM   #15
funda62
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilismom View Post
I'm curious. Care to share that story?
Sure, I take two medicines that are known to enter breastmilk but the effects on the infant are not known (class C drugs). My doctor and I discussed my meds before I even became pregnant because they are also Class C for pregnancy. Together we decided that the risks to DD would be very minimal in comparision to the health benefits of breastfeeding (for both of us since my sister had breast cancer at 35).

The morning after DD was born the pediatrician on rounds came in and went baslistic when she checked my file. Told me that I was doing untold damage to DD yada yada yada. So I handed her the info I had printed from the website and gave her my doc's name and told her to leave. That afternoon the other pediatrician saw us instead. He was phenomanal! Very supportive and had already done a phone consult with my doctor. So I always tell moms to go armed when neccessary!
Old 02-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #16
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda62 View Post
Sure, I take two medicines that are known to enter breastmilk but the effects on the infant are not known (class C drugs). My doctor and I discussed my meds before I even became pregnant because they are also Class C for pregnancy. Together we decided that the risks to DD would be very minimal in comparision to the health benefits of breastfeeding (for both of us since my sister had breast cancer at 35).

The morning after DD was born the pediatrician on rounds came in and went baslistic when she checked my file. Told me that I was doing untold damage to DD yada yada yada. So I handed her the info I had printed from the website and gave her my doc's name and told her to leave. That afternoon the other pediatrician saw us instead. He was phenomanal! Very supportive and had already done a phone consult with my doctor. So I always tell moms to go armed when neccessary!
my hero...
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:24 PM   #17
RedSoxFan1
Banned
seller

Mama, I have the Hale book and I uhhh...let's just say I get lots of "helping calls" from moms with breastfeeding questions and especially with medication questions.

Please pm me the info if you haven't already gotten info on it. As all the other great mamas here said, there are really very few meds that are absolutely contraindicated while breastfeeding.

It just blows my mind sometimes, the cavalier attitude with which some doctors treat the bf'ing relationship AND the untold medical benefits that breastmilk and nursing provides. And I have a healthy respect for doctors -- my dad is a pediatrician (for almost 40 yrs.) who is VERY bfin'g friendly and knowledgeable. But really what most doctors know about human lactation you could fit on my baby's pinky fingernail. Ugh.

Anyway, please don't stop nursing until you know for sure; and even if the med you are on is that bad, there are almost certainly good alternatives that would be just fine. In the meantime, pump pump pump!
RedSoxFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:36 PM   #18
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

Mama.. I don't know about all of it but I jsut wanted to say that anytime I was on antibiodics during nursing it REALLY dampened my supply, but it always came back... so keep nursing/pumping and I think you will be ok.. hang in there!!!