Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
msmellissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DD has curly hair. Help!

My 6 week old dd has fine curly hair and it is SO cute! I have super straight hair as do my older daughters so I am completely out of my league here. lol We're using Aveno right now for her body and hair but I notice that after her hair dries it gets fuzzy. When it's wet she has the cutest ringlets. Her hair type is very common for dh's family, he just didn't get it so we're both clueless.

Can anyone suggest a good shampoo for her and offer any tips for caring for her curly hair? It's so lovely!

Thanks Mamas!

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: DD has curly hair. Help!

How often do you wash her hair? It getting fuzzy may be a sign of it drying out from over-washing.. all of my kids have been born with lots of hair, 3 of them w/ curls. If I over washed, the curls would get all sorts of messy looking from being dryed out. We only was small babes hair twice a week. Usually every 3 days or so.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
msmellissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Mama!

I wash her hair about three times a week unless something icky like spit up gets in it.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:03 PM   #4
katina128
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have naturally curly hair, and this website is an invaluable resource to me. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlca...ndex/curlykids

WAHM behind Lullaby Diapers Portfolio

katina128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
msmellissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I actually just found that site after I posted this! lol I've been pouring over the parents of curlies forum and it's been so helpful already!
Old 06-01-2010, 04:24 AM   #6
catanded
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both of my girls have super curly hair. We don't use shampoo regularly but use just conditioner instead. And we go through lots of Rainbow Kids spray detangler!!!
catanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
katina128
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's a great site, and if you had curly hair, they have an adult side too that is awesome. I've been a member of the forums for several years now and have learned so much about caring for my own curls.

WAHM behind Lullaby Diapers Portfolio

katina128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
DrusL8y
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mixed Chicks! I swear by it! It's all-natural so it's mild enough for children! http://www.mixedchicks.net/ Don't be fooled by all the ethnic curlies on the site! It's perfect for everyone with curls! What I love is that you literally only need a drop, so the containers last forever! Get a sample pack and see if you love it!
DrusL8y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
megaroosdesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My dd is curly as well and we use a small amount(like a small dot) of baby oil or olive oil in the mornings. We don't have to use it everyday but the days its looks like she needs a touch up.

My friends daughter is mixed and has very very tight curls and she uses olive oil as well.
megaroosdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
brookglen
Registered Users

I'm biracial and have been dealing with super curls my whole life. When I was young there wasn't a whole lot of stuff out there for curly's but these days it's really easy to find good solutions.

First off I'd recommend holding off on washing it as frequently. If you find that her roots become oily then I would use Deva curl's NoPoo. It's a detergent free shampoo. Another great product line is Carol's Daughter. Invented by a mother who had two very curly babies.

Secondly, you'll want to invest in a good conditioner. While the conditioner is in her hair, use a wide tooth comb to comb through the curls, rinse, and do not ever use a hair brush, it will hurt, she will cry, and you will damage the already weak hair shaft. Wide tooth combs only, mama.

Once she's out of the shower, PAT her hair dry with a towel, never rub. Rubbing creates the horrendous fuzz factor. Pat with a towel, spray on a little leave in conditioner, or a couple of drops of olive oil. And leave the hair alone, don't touch it while it dries or you will create frizz.

There are 3 really effective products out there right now that have different levels of curl hold. I suggest investing in at least one (you'll spare her many tears in the future, trust me)

Deva Curl
Carol's Daughter
Mixed Chicks

Also watch these videos to get a good idea about how to handle curly hair. They will really help you.
http://devachansalon.com/about/videogallery
brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote