Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Winter
Registered Users
seller

DH is doing a very risky job right now...

My Dh is a welder by trade. He takes such pride in his work and has the cleanest looking welds many have ever seen (teachers & supervisors included). The project he is working on right now involves a tunnel being bored through Seymour Mountain to create a water line for BC Hydro. There was a cave-in in the mine on April 16th, and he, along with the 4 other on-site welders have been sent down to fix the Tunnel Boring Machine underground. To get there, they must take some kind of lift 750 feet below the surface, then travel on mine carts for about 5 km. They then have to crouch and waddle for quite some distance to get to where the TBM is. After they get there, DH has to suit up and twist & contort his body into a space that squeezed his chest so snugly yesterday, he had to tell himself to quit breathing so hard so he could fit inside. Once in there, he has to weld. The air quality down there is something to be desired, because the blower that is supposed to be bringing in the fresh air is broken. The welding gives off lots of smoke, and he finds it difficult to breathe. He has a few burns on his neck already, which is par for the course if you're a welder, but the whole setup gives me the heebie jeebies!
The company that was originally signed on to do the job pulled out when they discovered the soft rock in the mountain, but safety inspectors supposedly took measures to ensure it would be safe to work. Where I am partly concerned is he and the other welders were told that everything would be set up and prepped for them and all they would have to do is go in and weld, but apparently those promises were not kept. I am worried about a cave-in happening, or somebody making a mistake that could cause an accident. I am also worried about the long term effects of breathing in all of this smoke from the welding on his body. It is so far down there, I just hope he makes it through this project alive. Any prayer for all of the welders would be so appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I just wanted to add that I did tell him that the risk is not worth it, but he is loyal to his work and says you have to roll with the punches, and that this is a part of his job. Most of his other time on this job site has been spent above ground. The things some people do for a paycheck!

Advertisement

Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
WoodSprite
Registered Users
Formerly: TangerineFlamingo
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: DH is doing a very risky job right now...

praying!
WoodSprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Praying mama! Does he know how long he will have to be down there, how long it will take?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
heythere:)
Registered Users

Hugs hun, I will pray for you and your family. Please let us know how everything goes... hang in there...
heythere:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Winter
Registered Users
seller

Thanks mamas! He thinks he has just today and tomorrow left to finish. He did a 12 hour day yesterday and came home pretty mean. He was coughing alot and he had been in the hole all day without surfacing until the end of his shift. I notice when he does heavy welding that the buildup of metals & other toxins in his system make him act quite out of character. I will ask him to go for a detox of metals once we know he won't be going back down. Here's hoping for another productive day!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh wow about the character change and never resurfacing! I hope tomorrow is the last day! Still praying here for his safety!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
AdronsCatherine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Praying that he is safe and that he is able to do the job quickly and easily!
AdronsCatherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
Winter
Registered Users
seller

A quick update...
DH was kept above ground yesterday to work. He was surprised about this though, because each day he asked if he should bring his tools up and he was told to leave them. Someone said something about his size, but he was offered no other explanation. I do feel a bit guilty for posting here, but I am relieved that it looks like his part in that project is over. DH is confused as to why he was abruptly moved as well. Maybe the supervisor was trying to spread the work among the crew evenly? His demeanor was markedly improved yesterday, and he came home saying he was impressed that he hadn't woken up with a sinus infection. He had irrigated his sinus cavities with sal****er before bed to fight off what felt like a sure infection setting in. Please keep praying for the other 4 welders down there, mamas! I am sure they have families too. Thanks for your support!
Old 05-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
soblessed777
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi! Praying for you, your husband and the other welders as I have read through all of the posts. Maybe it was God that had your husband work above ground yesterday. You never know what another day breathing in the dust and chemicals might have done to his respiratory system. I think that it is awesome and a blessing that he was able to work above ground. I pray that the job is over for all of them and that none of them have any long term effects from this. God is good all the time!
soblessed777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
AQW
Registered Users
seller

My DH is a welder too. Even when the job isn't as risky as this one, I know what it's like to live with the knowledge that every day is dangerous. My thoughts are with you all.

Maybe this will make you laugh. DH lit his garbage can on fire last week because he had so many tissues in from his cold and a spark must have caught it. LOL I was actually stopping by on his work to see him and so he was hurrying out and someone was like "hey your garbage can is on fire". Just the day in the life of a welder.