Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2007, 12:44 AM   #1
elijahsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Vicodin while BFing???

I need to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out on thursday . I'm wondering if any of you mamas have taken Vicodin while BFing, and if your DC became drowsy or had any side effects? I never take meds and had a natural birth because I was scared of the side effects on DS I'm sooo nervous about this. I hopeing that I won't have to take it but if I do want to know ahead of time what to expect. I looked at the kellymom website and it says it a level 3 drug. Which means it's ok for short term, but I'm still worried. So any experience would be so helpful....Thanks mamas

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2007, 12:47 AM   #2
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vicodin while BFing???

yep - I had it coming out of the hospital (my after pains were severe - worse than labor itself !!!)

short term and minimal amounts you should see little to no side effects. Can you take tylenol during the day and do the vicodin at nigth?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:48 AM   #3
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

somnolence is generally seen in smaller babes too - how old is your LO? over 1 year? how often do you nurse??
Old 02-11-2007, 12:50 AM   #4
elijahsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonphishers View Post
somnolence is generally seen in smaller babes too - how old is your LO? over 1 year? how often do you nurse??
He's 19mo so not to little....We do however nurse 5-6 times still. I'm going to try to take Tylenol or somthing mild if I can and not even use the Vicodin if I don't have to....I just don't know how bad it will be and want to be prepared....Thanks for the reply
Old 02-11-2007, 12:53 AM   #5
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

being prepared before the fact is so great! I find if I know I can take something I am less likely to take it. KWIM?

Good luck!!!!! just remember no straws/smoking afterwards - we dont want any dry sockets! :haha
Old 02-11-2007, 01:04 AM   #6
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I know my SIL took it after her c-section and she was nursing at the time.

Hopefully you won't need it, when I had my wisdom teeth removed I just used the strong ibuprofen and that's pretty much all I used after I had ds too....but if you need it a few times I am sure ds will be fine especially since he is 19 months old.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
Shanna
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Took it after both births, C-sections. It's my #1 biggest reason for being anti-C (among many) but sometimes there's not much you can do about it. I did notice DC#1 became MAJORLY drowsy after nursing. I was able to wean myself off it very quickly w/ DC#2 and I didn't really notice as much of an effect. I would purposely plan when I took it though, like right after her feeding so I had the longest amount of time before the next feeding. And I mostly only took half doses.

It is a narcotic though, they never mention that part! It's a huge pet peeve of mine that all through pregnancy and nursing they tell you to take nothing but plain tylenol, plain sudafed, and plain robutussin but then act like vicodin/bfing newborn is no big deal.
Shanna, loving wife and Mommy to Tanner 7-03, Jenna 4-05, our sweetheart in heaven, and Nathan 1-08. Check out my ETSY shop nicely stocked with wetbags for diapers AND kitchen, "unpaper" towels galore and fun burlap accessories for the home!
Shanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:17 AM   #8
MomToJazmyne
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was prescribed Vicodin after my c-section and after having a root canal when she was 2.5 months old. I nursed my DD the whole time I was on it, both times. She nursed at least every two hours while I was on it (and stll does) with minimal sleepiness. Hope that helps you somewhat....

J (8/15/06) and L (4/25/13)
MomToJazmyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:36 AM   #9
Dawnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Vicodin is safe and in most cases causes very minimal effects on nurslings. The reason they say no narcs or other meds while you are pregnant is because almost everything crosses the placenta. If the med is in your bloodstream it is in baby's bloodstream by simple osmosis. Milk is not excreted by blood vessels, the mechanism of milk production is very different and most meds do not cross into breastmilk in quantities sufficient to be dangerous, let alone therapeutic to nurslings. Interesting reading: http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/drugentrypage.html

The reason med labels tell you to ask your doctor if you are pregnant or nursing is that the drug companies themselves have not done any testing on pregnant or nursing mothers and will not be held legally responsible for any use by people who fit that demographic. Hence a warning on the label telling those people not to take their product. It doesn't mean the med isn't safe. It only means the drug company hasn't tested it on pregnant or nursing mothers. Dr. Hale has and publishes a book called Medications and Mother's Milk that is the bible of meds and lactation and on every medstation in L&D/postpartum in our hospital. I don't know how many times I've had to photocopy a page to show a Dr. that Mom doesn't have to quit breastfeeding.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:54 AM   #10
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been on hydrocodone (generic Vicodin) off and on for the almost 17 months we've been nursing. (More off then on, there's just been several instances for a tooth abcess, and arthritis.) Dd has shown zero ill effects.

Things I have learned:

1. It's much better to take *1* pill of a lower dose and maintain it (ie take it every 3hours45min on the dot) then to get overwhelmed by pain and have to take 2 (which always makes DD drowsy or lethargic).

2. Always, always take it with unleavened carbs. If you take it on a full stomach, it'll still be in your bloodstream/breastmilk but *you* won't get the full effect of the pain relief - which again can lead to doubling up. But on an empty stomach, I vomit multiple times and have ended up with migraines. I now eat several crackers, a warm tortilla, or a cup of dry cereal before I take it. That seems to be just right for not feeling ill, but getting the maximum amount of pain relief with the minimum dose.

3. Nurse immediately before your next dose. It's wearing off at that point and weakest in your bloodstream and breastmilk.

4. Drinking a small amount of caffeine helps counteract any lethargy - weak, milky coffee or caffeinated tea are my personal preferences. you might be a soda person

5. It's a combination of narcotic and inflammation relief. You *can* take one low dose pill + additional plain acetominaphen or ibuprofen. Make sure the dentist prescribes you the lowest dose (2.5/500, I think? Might be 5/500), and if necessary, they are solid and scored and can be halved.

Max, you're probably looking at 48 hours *if* you need it at all. I'd recommend pure Vic for the first 24 hours, 1/2 vic 1/2 acet for the next 24 hours, and then just acet if needed after that.

Oh, and last but most important you are likely to be on antibiotics too. Make sure to get some acidophollus and take it with everything so you and kiddo don't encounter the Evil Yeast Demon. I believe DanImmunity contains it and it's great stuff to wash the chalky pills down with.