Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
kpapple
Registered Users

My Mood:
Pregnant and Nursing

Hi
I just found out that I am pregnant. I don't know how far along yet since I never had a period. I will know more this week. I also have a 6 month old that I am still nursing. One of the OB's in my group suggested that I consider weening him because it could be unsafe for the baby to continue to nurse. I am looking for other feedback on this subject. What expierences have you had with this? So far my milk is ok and has not dried up at all. I have tried a bottle w/formula and my son wants NOTHING to do with it. So any ideas? My concern is that what if my milk does dry up and he still does not want the bottle???
Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Kim
I also put this in the pregnancy forum

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pregnant and Nursing

I think that's funny advice... lots of women keep breastfeeding some even breastfed a toddler and newbie (im probably not up for that but...)
actually we try on planning soon, and i don't plan on starting to wean until a yr and ours is 6 months too and he wants to chew a bottle if you try to give it to him regardless of whether its mommas milk or water. LOL and he loves water out of a glass.

what's supposed to go bad with your milk anyway ????
Old 05-29-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
kpapple
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by negrapy
I think that's funny advice... lots of women keep breastfeeding some even breastfed a toddler and newbie (im probably not up for that but...)
actually we try on planning soon, and i don't plan on starting to wean until a yr and ours is 6 months too and he wants to chew a bottle if you try to give it to him regardless of whether its mommas milk or water. LOL and he loves water out of a glass.

what's supposed to go bad with your milk anyway ????
I think that the problem is that some say that while nursing your exsisting baby, it can take away essential nutrients from the unborn baby. And I know that sometimes in some cases, your milk can dry up while being pregnant. So far mine has not.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
tanyaandallie
Registered Users

Terrible advice from your doc. Nursing while pg is safe as long as you are not at risk for pre-term labor. As long as your doc does not tell you that you can't have sex, then nursing is fine. Nursing does not take away nutrients from your unborn child. The nutrients will go to the unborn child first, then to bm, then to you! So, you need to take care of youself!!

A great book to read about nursing while pg and tandem nursing is Adventures in Tandem Nursing. It's really a great book. Also, check out this link.

http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/index.html

As far as supplementing with formula goes, I would play it by ear and see how your supply does. If your supply dips and you need to supplmeent, you can always try a sippy rather than a bottle. Also, as your little one will soon be starting solids (or is already on solids) you may be able to get by without supplementing.

old ds feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=5132.0
tanyaandallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:37 PM   #5
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

There is NO reason to wean, but Ob's don't know that because they get...oh, ya, right, ZERO hours of instruction in breastfeeding.

IF you were having lots of pre-labor contractions with dilation, it might be good to stop.

In addition, you might feel you need to stop, if it becomes too painful, or your milk dries up. Or, your babe might decide to wean, because the milk will change flavor.

Hopefully, you can keep going, and then tandem after the new babe is born, since your current babe is still so very young!
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:12 PM   #6
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpapple
I think that the problem is that some say that while nursing your exsisting baby, it can take away essential nutrients from the unborn baby.
MAma'a bodies know who needs what The nutrients in your body go to the baby in utero first, then the nursling second, and THEN you. The concern with nwp is not actually that either baby is deprived but that the mom may have complications from malnutrition since all her good stuff is going to the babies. That said, when I was preggo with #3, I as still nursing #1 and #2, and I'm sitll here and kicking

The key is to make sure you eat enough. You have to consider that non-preggo you need about 1800-2200 cals/day, depending on your size and activity level...that increases by 300/day while pregnant and 500/day while nursing. So now you need an extra 800...so you GOTTA eat!!!!!!

The taste of your milk might change a bit, because the hormones in your body are different. You may unintentionally act different while nursing, because your nipples might be sore, or because you are feeling protective of the bean-baby and your nursling likes to kick your belly while nursing. But most likely, things will continue just fine.

The best advice I can give anyone is to relax, because stress does a HUGE numbre on milk production. Warm baths and tea are great, and pleanty of rest is neccesary. But unless you are having some severe complications directly a result of prolactin, you'll be just fine!!!! Keep in mind that a lot of the time supplementation can lead to weaning, not prevent weaning. The breast works on supply and demand, and if some of the demand is being taken care of by another source, the supply will drop. You'll be fine, you're getting lots of great support here!!!
jennyofthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:36 PM   #7
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Bad advise from your doc unless your at risk for preterm labor. You body will nurish the baby, and then your nursling, and then you. So as the others said its important to eat enough and very well balanced meals. Take a good vitamin suppliment and drink extra water. Mostly relax. I nursed through a pregnancy and until my older child weaned at 3yrs. Things to be prepared for are sore nipples, lower milk supply (mine never dropped), and you may feel extra protective of you unborn baby. You might try a soft spout sippy as opposed to a bottle to encourage your older baby to take something from it just in case.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:43 PM   #8
vanilla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey mama! I've been there!
I got pregnant with my second when my first was 6 months. No period, and I had no idea, actually, that I was pregnant until I was in my 2nd trimester- pretty bug surprise!! So when I found out, he was around 9-10 months and I had been nursing him the whole time, of course. Everyone around me was really supportive. There's no reason why you shouldn't do both, just eat right and you'll be fine- but make sure you're eating plenty & good stuff. I still managed to gain over 40 lbs during that pregnancy ...when my dd was born, I nursed them both for a year till my son weaned. THAT was what people thought was crazy but they are very healthy and happy!
Anna 5/16/04
Sara 7/11/06
vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:43 AM   #9
comfybuns
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpapple
I think that the problem is that some say that while nursing your exsisting baby, it can take away essential nutrients from the unborn baby. And I know that sometimes in some cases, your milk can dry up while being pregnant. So far mine has not.

bad advice from your doc! Nutrients are taken in thisorder:
fetus gets 1st choice
nursing baby gets 2nd
mom comes in last.
Your children will take what the need from you beore you get your nutrients.
I was in the exact place as you ...
ds was 6 mos, no period, still nursing.
I ended up nursing all through my pregnancy and tandem nursing until the older was 2.5!